We’re Giving Wyze Person Detection to All Users at Whatever Price You Want - 1/11/22

In the app, Account > Cam Plus Lite > The green button at the bottom, Set Up Person Notifications.

Person Detection is always active, you turn Notifications On / Off.

If you’re using an Ad Blocker, try turning it off for the Wyze sites. I turned off uBlock Origin and it worked after that.

1 Like

Ok thanks. I ran through that wizard a couple of times previously. None of the items in the Events tab show a person detected so I’m guessing the feature pretty much just doesn’t work for me.

If it’s V3 cameras I believe there is beta firmware that is supposed to fix the issue.
Should be released to the world soon if it hasn’t been already.

2 Likes

Thank the Wyze Gods for this beta, it’s working, sure is nice to have these things doing PD now. I see so many saying PD isn’t a thing for them, well, Alexa letting us know and using routines with wyze PD is a BIG deal in our house. This PD is solid gold.

1 Like

For anyone still having issues with Cam Plus Lite Person Detections on some of your cams, there is a new camera firmware update just released that should help:

2 Likes

This fixed person detection for me. Thx

1 Like

So what EXACTLY happens if I don’t “opt-in”?

Does my cam become useless?

If you don’t opt in to free CamPlus Lite or Paid CamPlus you will get a single still “thumbnail” picture for each event. If you have an SD Card in your camera you can view the event from “Playback.”

It partially depends on a few factors.

If you have a cam plus license on your account at all for any camera, and you do nothing you’re still automatically enrolled for cloud events to continue for your other cams as you’re used to and you’ll get person detection added for the rest of those cams as an extra feature option at no cost (you don’t have to use it).

If you previously had the Legacy Person Detection and you do nothing, you’ll have that automatically converted to the new Cam Plus Lite. You won’t notice any difference at all.

If you don’t have Cam Plus at all, and never had Legacy Person Detection and you do nothing, then depending how you normally use your cameras, it’s possible you still won’t notice any difference. You can still view your camera feed any time you want through the app. You can still record events or continuous recording to an SD card. Your cameras will still WORK basically like almost any other camera on the market. They’re still good. You’ll still get notifications too, the difference will be that the notification will show you a small picture of what happened and clicking on that will now link you to that recorded event on your SD card instead of linking to you a video recorded on the cloud (ie: Amazon’s AWS servers). This is basically how my Eufy cams already work for example…they send me a notification and a small picture of what triggered motion, then when I click on the notification, it links me to the event on the Camera’s SD card. Wyze is just setting their cameras up to do the same thing now by default.

It’s just if you WANT the cloud stuff to continue, you simply sign up for it and you will still have it, but if you don’t, it’s really not a big deal in my opinion, you can still record everything to an SD card and get linked to recorded events all stored locally on your camera. It just depends on your preference, but they definitely won’t be useless by any means. They’ll function similarly to how many other companies’ cameras do event recordings.

3 Likes

:star: :star: :star: :star: :star:
5 stars for the best, most complete and well-organized explanation I’ve seen yet! Well done! :clap: Many thanks for calming the cranks and those in the ranks losing sleep every night, fretting their cams might turn into blanks. :rofl:

2 Likes

Having carver in our flanks putting petrol in our tanks is like money in the… banks.

3 Likes

The only thing I will add to the excellent answers already give is to remember, Feb 28 isn’t your last chance. If you decide you should have opted in sometime in the future you still can.

2 Likes

I made my purchase September 2021.

I do not reward a business that is not upfront about cost to customer in their listing, in this instance at Amazon there was no mention of my WYZE camera and WYZE SD card purchase would be crippled to a 5-minute break if I do not subscribe.

In fact, nothing worked until I contacted Support that, in fact, refused to answer I wanted to use the WYZE camera and WYZE SD card only, instead guiding me thru the subscription I thought was a $1.99 one time fee for having to get Support. Instead, I found out I had an Apple Store Subscription.

Next, I get an Upgrade that puts an advertising nag screen announcement on my app. I go to the Forum to find WYZE Forum ‘evangelists’ hustling Subscriptions and more services in more levels of Subscriptions.

…and so, I am looking around to other security cameras and software.

The fact is, the 1080 expected sharpness is limited by the limited depth of field.

There is that, and a baseball hat is sufficient to defeat identity unless the camera is located lower where it can be easily destroyed by a car thief.

In my case, I am trying to get video on a thief who has repeatedly tried to steal my truck I have even flattened a tire to stop the thief. Meanwhile, I do not have the use of the truck and the tire has been destroyed by remaining flat.

I am saying, a customer purchases a security camera and SD card for security, and instead I get hustled to purchase a subscription.

…you may say it is not that much money?

I am saying, I do not reward cheats with more money.

1 Like

Wyze definitely owes you a tire.

:joy:

I’m seriousness the sd card still records all motion if you enable recording. That has never changed.

There has always been a cloud event recording limitation on the free plan. The only difference now is you can get person tagging free in the events.

Good luck with the thief.

You didn’t read the fine print?
:rofl:

1 Like

I did, at Amazon, where I made my purchase September 2021.

Recording to the SD card is NOT affected by the 5 minute cool down.

3 Likes