We’re Giving Wyze Person Detection to All Users at Whatever Price You Want - 1/11/22

Ah ok so there is still a chance that a person event can be left out even with heavy restrictions of motion and zones, if you get unlucky with a random motions within the 5 minute cool down. Was hoping this was not the case but will have to revert back to my old settings. I don’t see this helping too much for free users who has issue of high winds or high motions because they have to set high restrictions to mitigate all the false detections because any motion with high restrictions that are captured are important for those people, unless if you can have an option to just record people and ignore all events, instead of record all motion with people included because that 5 minute cool down is killer for people with high traffic.

Me, too! Let’s pool our purchasing power and demand the bro discount. :slight_smile:

Shout out to the volunteer Mods & Mavens and regular peeps from the community supporting this action. It makes me tired just appreciating you! :slight_smile:

“Compared to FAT32, which supports a maximum file size of 4GB and volume size of 32GB on Windows format, 2TB on other operating systems, and 16TB on certain theoretical applications, exFAT supports a maximum file size of 16 exabytes while storing file size references in eight bytes instead of four bytes. These characteristics make it ideal for storing large files, recording high-quality video, and formatting high-capacity flash memory devices. Note that the SD Association has adapted it as a default file system for the high-capacity SDXC cards.” ~ source

exFAT is susceptible to corrupting an entire flash card in cases of crashes due to power failure or other failures to correctly read/write. The same is true of FAT32, but not as much.

" An extraordinarily large unit of digital data, one Exabyte (EB) is equal to 1,000 Petabytes or one billion gigabytes (GB). Some technologists have estimated that all the words ever spoken by mankind would be equal to five Exabytes." ~ source

I think it’s a bit disingenuous to frame this as you “giving person detection” when you are in fact taking away 12 second cloud storage, a major selling point to your cameras and forcing users to opt in and get a hard sale to pay for to get it back. This is an extra bitter pill to swallow because the first cameras I bought from you guys also came with person detection and again, you took that away and wanted me to again, opt back in and get a sales pitch to contribute. What is this, a charity?

I get it, cloud storage costs you guys money, but that was your business model! I didn’t pick it, you guys did If I wanted to pay a subscription, I would have gone with Ring or Nest. I’m sorry, their products may cost more (although they have come down a lot in the last year), but they are established and work. I chose you because I don’t want to pay for a subscription and I like local storage and am ok with tinkering. Now I’m not sure if it’s safe to buy anymore cameras if they won’t come with cloud storage without paying.

If I may make a couple of suggestions, your SD card reader has just been terrible. I’m glad it’s getting an update but I don’t think it’s enough. It’s impossible to find anything on there without using the cloud storage as a rough guide. Also, people you share a camera with don’t have access to it and we can’t share an account so this will essentially leave all the shared users in the dark. All they get is a live view now. That is a deal-breaker for families where the primary holder shares the account with the rest of the family. At least with 12 seconds, it was something.

I really hope that instead of keep bringing new features, you work on existing ones. If you fix the SD card problems, then not having cloud recording will be a viable solution.

2 Likes
I just have to make a funny nerdy comment on why this is...feel free to skip this unimportant dropdown though

It’s the hardware version of the blue screen of death! :rofl:

This is particularly funny because exFAT was designed almost solely by Microsoft (who still owns patents on several parts of it’s design despite finally publishing its specification in 2019)…

FAT32 on the other hand was only partially developed by Microsoft and partially by Caldera…so it still has the blue screen of death, but not as often as the one fully developed by Microsoft! That’s just too rich…

Poor Microsoft will never live that down…at least not from us nerds…
(Full disclosure, 3 of by brothers had high paying jobs at Microsoft for a while, so I have to take opportunities to raz them about it just for fun)

1 Like

You can opt to pay $0.00

Same

Cam Plus Lite

Legacy cloud video storage and Person Detection for all eligible cameras.

Yes, but for how long? I bought into this system so I could keep building on it when I had the time and the funds. Now who knows when they’ll stop this “opt in” or when they’ll revoke it. Also, the whole opting in and naming your own price thing is undignified and humiliating because they will tell you what THEY think you should pay first and if you pick $0, they’ll try to guilt you into paying. To quote Ritchie from the Sopranos, “What’s already mine is not yours to give me”.

7 Likes

I paid $0 in their Legacy Person Detection trial (their “name-your-price experiment”) and they didn’t guilt me.

At all.

Have you seen the new one? After you pick zero, they ask if you’re sure and go on a thing about how cloud storage is expensive and if you’re sure you want to do it.

I’m with you. Yes cloud storage is expensive. But it was their model. The worst thing a company can do is break a contract with their customers. They should continue to support their legacy promises. If necessary, the expense should be paid out of operating funds. They have now shown that their promises aren’t worth much. Believe me, current and future customers will notice…

2 Likes

No, I haven’t seen the new one. I know I’m not susceptible to that stuff and if they had said it after telling me $0 was a valid option I would just brush it off and continue.

I take them at their word that the offer of $0 is genuine.

No Cam Plus Lite i can see on the page, just the cam plus stuff ??

I am staying in South Africa.
Can I join?

Do I need to opt my Cam Plus Cams into Cam Plus Lite in order to make them eligible to be used with Cam Plus Lite, should I opt to discontinue my Cam Plus in the future?

SJ

If you currently subscribe to Cam Plus you will be automatically opted in with a $0 price. In the future if you cancel Cam Plus you could just then turn on Cam Plus Lite and you would be able to leave the amount at $0 or change it to something else if you felt like contributing anything.

2 Likes

I subscribed to Cam Plus Lite.

On the Wyze app,

• I go to Account > Services > Cam Plus Lite (PD Legacy ) >
  • it ask, Which cameras would you like to enroll in Cam Plus Lite?
  • I click the toggle button for a camera and I get this prompt:

Whoops! Looks like you don’t have Cam Plus Lite.
Lock in helpful features such as Person Detection and 12s cloud video recordings on all your compatible cams.
Name your price at services.wyze.com
Close or Take Me There

My cam is V2
The firmware is up to date
The Wyze app is up to date

The account on my Wyze app is one email.
I logged into wyze.com with another email to subscribe to Cam Plus Lite.
Could that be why?

Edit: Yup, that was the issue. When subscribing to Cam Plus Lite, I needed to login using the same email on the Wyze app.

That is correct. But since you can opt in for $0, a one-time action will get you back to where you were. In fact, it will get you ahead of where you were because you will now have Person Detection.

1 Like

The size limitation for exFAT is 128PB. You’ll be fine with a 1TB card. :slight_smile:

2 Likes