Was my camera Hijacked

http://www.rf-link.com/en/about.html

It appears that RF LINK is the name the manufacturer who makes the RF modules, who is located in Shenzhen city, China.

@UserCustomerGwen is it possible to get any official word on this? Thanks!

1 Like

General would not show your IP and MAC addresses in full public view

Thanks… just deleted that post… the addresses are what the camera switched to, and which is now blocked… but thanks for heads up.

So far as I’m aware, Wyze is a re-branded Chinese camera with custom firmware. Shenzen as I indicated above is the region in China where nearly all the high tech industries are located. It makes sense the MAC address comes back to them. The only concern anyone might have about this is in the light of allegations made against a Chinese phone manufacturer by the US. I doubt there’s any relevance and all the major brands of camera are also made in China, so you take’s your choice as they say.

As for IP / MAC address, yes you should never give them out. The only safe way to remote view a camera is via VPN. Port forwarding etc is very very risky and open to interception / hacking. If you viewing via VPN. then you should be safe even if someone discovers the address.

Why do you keep trying to make this simple firmware bug more nefarious than it is? The MAC address does NOT go back to Shenzhen, China. The Shenzhen comes from a simple manufacturer database lookup of the beginning of a MAC address; it does not indicate anything about a connection to the outside world. It indicates the physical presence of a device on a network who’s network card was manufacurered in China, in this case the network card in a Wyze camera.

VPNs are great when you are outside your house, but putting point-to-point connections inside your house out on a VPN doesn’t make much sense.

You also make it sound like knowing the internal address of your cam will give them access. They would still need to hack into your network, and then they wouldn’t need the address to find your camera. A simple Fing software scan would pick it up. And then they would still need to hack into the camera.

These sorts of loose implications are where many panic posts about security originate.

2 Likes

Hey, folks. Sorry to hear about this problem! We have been hearing reports again of the WiFi chip MAC showing and we have been looking into it. For anyone who has recently experienced it and sent in a support ticket, may I please have your ticket number? I can get your ticket where it needs to go.

I sent in a ticket, as stated above… but no idea of any number ?.. where exactly would I find that number?

I was instructed to got to > Help and Feedback > Report an issue > Fill in the fields > Send log file > Submit > send by email… no ticket number there.

You should have received a reply email with a support ticket number in it. If that didn’t happen or you can’t find it, you can message me the email that you used when you sent it in and I can search in our system for you.

Thanks… have sent you Message. Cannot apply the Zipped Log file, so hope the email I sent is enough to go on with?

1 Like

What makes you say that Wyze cameras are rebranded Chinese brand cameras?

Wyze is an American company based in Seattle, Washington.

Their hardware are made in China sure but if that’s what made you say that they are rebranded Chinese cameras then iPhones would be rebranded Chinese phones too.

Xiaomi bought the Xiaofang from a supplier, same as Wyze does for most offerings. Wyze went to that same supplier and had them redesign that hardware for them. The case was still the same, though. Then Wyze wrote a new app & firmware to go with it, which is their strength. Part of the price miracle is not having to design hardware from scratch.

OTOH Apple designs their own phone hardware from the bottom up, and many of the internal chipsets as well. They don’t take an existing offering sold to other companies and make some tweaks on it.

Ah. I see… that explains the low price and why it’s taking so long to make the outdoor version lol. Thanks for the info.

Thanks for all the help on this… I received a reply > Below… possibly that they may need to apply another fix, like the one from last year.

I understand these things can, and do happen… and the Devs need us to report any issues like this, in order to keep on top of things.

Im happy they will be looking into this, and that they may be unaware that Shenzhen may have made adjustments since last year, making the re-Mac process ( from last year ) obsolete? And will now look at it again to possibly up the way they do to Re- Mac them now?

Noelito Crisostomo (Wyze)

Jun 19, [1:42 PM](calendar:T1:1:42 PM) PDT

Hi John!

Thanks for reaching out and my apologies for the delayed response. We’ve had an overwhelming amount of support and interest in Wyze so it’s taking a bit longer to get through tickets at the moment. We truly appreciate your patience.

Looks like this resurfaced somehow. We’ve seen a bug in the past which caused the WiFi component’s MAC to become recognized as the camera’s MAC, but we pushed a fix for this out in a firmware upgrade last year. I’ll go ahead and have your app log checked to see if we need to repatch.

Feel free to send an email if you have other concerns. Cheers!

Regards,

Noelito | Wyze Wizard

2 Likes

Thanks for the update, appreciated. :slightly_smiling_face:

1 Like