"View Playback" not working

Playback used to work, right before the pandemic it had stopped working. We’re looking to reopen and revisiting the issue. We’ve done the usual trouble shooting - opened, closed, deleted, reinstalled app. Unplugged, restated cameras. Done all above with and without SD Card. Reformatted SD card. Tried new SD card. They are on same network, Regardless of what we do, we don’t get the green bar, we cannot see any video playback. Using EP Memory Gorilla Flash Memory Cards - 32 GB - MicroSDHC UHS-I.

Oddly enough 12 second events DO show up and can be played.

Hello @shophorsefeathers and welcome to the community.

This is because the 12-second events are on the cloud and the Playback button plays from the SD Card.
What happens when you try to view playback

when using some lower tolerance cards I have found it takes longer sometimes for the bar to show up. sometimes it has even taken me moving the bar slightly to “activate” it I guess.

try sliding the timeline bar very slightly and give it a few seconds and see if the green motion bars show up at points you know there should be motion.

it could very well be the cards too. in researching those cards to try and find any issues I see that they are not high endurance cards and are thus more likely to error when bombarded by constant the writing of video files, the very same constraints that a Wyze cam forces cards to endure by their very nature.

I have used Samsung high endurance cards for years now without fail as have many others here. if for some reason you cant get the card to work I would suggest trying a new HE card and seeing what happens.

Hi @WyzeJasonJ. See attached image; we do not see the green playback bar, and the system gives the error message “no video at the selected time”. Zero video exists on every day at every time. No matter what we do, nothing appears.

Following up on @bam message … they referenced “high endurance cards”. I do not believe we were ever told about this specification, in fact, I’m not familiar with low or high endurance being a factor when purchasing cards. The Wyze FAQ states the cameras support Class 10 cards up to 32 gig, which is I did make certain to buy 32gig Class 10 microSD cards. I see no difference in spec on the Wyze recommended cards except that the Gorilla cards we use have a much higher read and write speed.

So if the issue is the type of MicroSD card, how the &$&% do I determine the “endurance”, and what are the detailed specifications?

Ok, now I understand a bit better, I was originally thinking the green ‘View Playback’ button was missing, but you are missing all videos. If you have gone through the whole process of swapping cards and formatting and everything like that you may have an issue with the camera itself rather than the card. If that is the case I would call support and see what they can do.

WYZE Support

Live support is available:

+1-206-339-9646

Monday - Friday 5 am - 6 pm PT

Saturday 8 am - 4 pm PT

I will call them, figured this would be faster.

We have four cameras, same cards, same troubleshooting, same issue in all four.

no worries @shophorsefeathers
I’m the card nerd around here and it’s something most people are unaware of. you are correct in that Wyze does no specifically recommend high endurance cards and the Wyze brand cards I have verified are NOT high endurance either. but in joining the majority of the population this could simply be an oversight on the team at Wyze that didn’t know the difference HE cards have to simply even know they existed. had I never had numerous problems with cards I would not have known about them either.

so first off, I will show you what I, MOST of the Maven team and a great number of the community use for cards. the easiest way to find a good high endurance card is to simply search for high endurance cards. I wish I had more magic behind it, but it’s that simple.
https://www.amazon.com/Samsung-Endurance-32GB-Micro-Adapter/dp/B07B98GXQT/ref=sr_1_2?crid=62VJ0W61A1QT&dchild=1&keywords=samsung+high+endurance+micro+sd+card&qid=1608018773&sprefix=samsung+high+endurance%2Caps%2C330&sr=8-2

without getting to terribly technical II can say that high endurance cards ARE MADE for writing video. the constant read write cycles of things like our cameras, or dashcams are very had on cards. a standard SD card when they were designed were made for something more akin to a point and shoot camera. take a small bit of data, write it to the card and it’s done for a while. when you start getting into the types of cards available there are quite a few variances and levels of storage.

many card manufacturers will even void their warranty if you use regular cards in applications like our cams or dashcams. sandisk is one of those.

in looking around I’m having trouble finding a good article that explains the difference between HE and regular cards is an easy manner…if I can find one I’ll post back.

1 Like

Appreciate the detailed response. This all makes sense. I’ll try the recommended cards. Thank you.

Regarding “an oversite on the team at Wyze”, I feel you’re being kind. This seems to be a pretty basic R&D or testing step as recording and storing video is a key component of their deliverable.

1 Like

you are correct there, but considering the majority of cams go directly to the cloud or a personal NVR that you fork out some $ for SD could easily be overlooked.

and just like myself, I thought memory is memory…a card is a card…the only important thing is write speeds. sadly I was mistaken. this may have also been thought at Wyze as well. but I haven’t spoken to the person in charge of that Dept YET. maybe one of these days I will and I’ll get to share a bit of knowledge I have and see what they do with it :slight_smile:

1 Like

I’m using the new cards and have the ability to view playback again. Thanks.

I took the old card and looked at it on my PC … oddly enough, files are there from April.

2 Likes

yup…Ive had that with some cards when I first started learning about them…using them in dashcams…horrible nightmares there…