View On PC/Browser (Windows / Mac / Chromebook)

All the “apps” are just HTML5 running in one giant generic browser. There are no local apps anymore on any Smartcast enabled vizio.

It’s meant to display text and pictures
Hoo boy. Hopefully this doesn't trigger a replay of the W3C wars from a decade ago ?

Deep breaths kiddies ?

1 Like
"We have a gigabit connection for $120/mo"
$1440 yr. for internet is not typical for most people.

"your data is NOT always in someone else’s hands. You can encrypt it"
The company still holds a copy of the key...
1 Like
The company still holds a copy of the key…
Once again you're making blanket statements that simply aren't true. I gave you the perfect example since it's been in the news so much, with their FBI fight and others. When you use Apple iCloud, only YOU hold the keys, and Apple has no access to the data. This is one of the top three reasons that my Androids are just toys and real data/work goes on iDevices. Other companies may or may not hold the keys, but there's no one rule.

And in many cases you can still encrypt the data also. I manage a couple of HIPAA-covered backup systems where the provider encrypts BOTH with their key and the customer key. Nobody can get the data without BOTH keys. This meets HIPAA needs very well, and allows online storage of protected data legally and safely.

1 Like
"When you use Apple iCloud, only YOU hold the keys, and Apple has no access to the data."
LOL. I'm not worried about Apple, I'm worried about hackers. Hmmm... why would someone plead guilty for actually hacking into more than 250 iCloud accounts, if they are supposedly so secure? Weird.

1 Like

Yup, so a service that has almost a billion users sees just .000025 of its users do something stupid and lose data, which incidentally is much lower than the rate of people losing their local data, and that’s evidence of “hacking??”

"so a service that has almost a billion users"
If by "almost a billion" you mean 782 million, then I'd say your math is off a bit. LOL.
"which incidentally is much lower than the rate of people losing their local data"
Where are you pulling these magical figures from?
"that’s evidence of “hacking??”"
When rippers were able to get passwords easier because of tools like iBrute, and tools like Elcomsoft Phone Password Breaker to download entire backups, yes I'd say that's considered to be hacking. He didn't plead guilty to hacking for the fun of it.
1 Like

782 million in 2016. You might want to check your calendar, among other “facts” you should check.

Don’t need to check the calendar. Apple signs my check, thank you very much. Speaking of “facts” you forgot to mention about the bug in iCloud Drive that can result in permanent data loss…

BTW, there is no such bug when saving to a local hard drive.

Late last year Apple released a security update to cover some known vulnerabilities issues, but security is always an ongoing thing with computers.

BTW, there is no such security issue when saving to a local hard drive :slight_smile:

1 Like

You could use TinyCam to monitor the feeds via a browser, by activating it’s Web Server feature. Just add the wyze cams to the Android TinyCam app first.

BTW, there is no such bug when saving to a local hard drive.
LOL!!!

https://techfragments.com/ibm-firmware-bug-could-cause-data-loss/

"LOL!!!"
/sigh... apparently you don't know the difference between a firmware bug, and a security issue, and I don't know many people who are using a hard drive from back in 2009, but those few on the planet that may still be using a 9 year old hard drive can fix the issue by simply installing the newest firmware. BTW, that's something you can't do with iCloud :)
"Hard Drive Firmware Data Recovery Case Study"
Non Sequitur. Gillware is a data recovery company, you know, for those who are foolish enough not to back up their hard drive. Still not a security issue. They would not have been contacted if the client would have simply made a hard drive backup.

This is fun. Next :slight_smile:

I quote your bug claim with a response about a bug and you change the subject. This is boring. Next.

Everyone knows that all bugs are not created equal.

The bug in iCloud Drive permanently deletes the persons precious data.

The 9 year old hard drive bug can be fixed by simply installing new firmware. All data is safe, sound (and secure). Takes around only 1 minute to fix.

So let’s see, one bug wipes out your data permanently, never to be seen again, and the other “bug” doesn’t harm your data at all and can easily be fixed. Looks like local wins again. You’re welcome :slight_smile:

Neither issue removes the data from my backups. Looks like local is no different again. You’re welcome.

just curious, can you set the device to record both local and to the cloud or do you have to pick one over the other?

It does both by default once you turn on local storage.

Carlos, check this out. Maybe it could give you a viable solution for checking your Wyze cameras via a web browser, especially if you’re working from home.

1 Like

I always have a couple Androids sitting around here and not used a lot, but this is really an ugly “solution.” I’ve also considered running Android on a Raspberry Pi, but that’s still kind of a silly work-around. And then there is the option to install third-party open firmware, but that has its own limitations. I have been doing hacker crap for decades and now just find myself wanting stuff that just works.

1 Like
"Neither issue removes the data from my backups. "
Glad to hear it, but that's simply not the case for most other people.

https://discussions.apple.com/thread/8203035

Bottom line; If you like to gamble with your files, use iCloud.