View On PC/Browser (Windows / Mac / Chromebook)

They already have the servers. The mobile apps don’t connect to the camera - they connect to Wyze servers that are receiving streams from the cameras and passing the streams (maybe re-encoded) back out to the mobile apps. To make a web app only requires that the servers produce a browser-friendly video format, or a decoder written in Javascript. There is no conceivable technical reason a web monitoring app could not be built with relative ease and no change to the camera firmware. Yes it would increase load on their servers to serve the app itself and possibly more video streams.

I doubt the reason it does not exist is technical. Seems Wyze is so busy creating new products and driving costs down it is just not focused on refining the products it already has in the field.

1 Like

They seem to do both.
If you establish an Internet connection through your LAN, then disconnect the Internet through your router the cameras will continue to stresm to your phone.

Simple test, put your phone and the camera on the same WiFi network and then view a camera. Now pull your internet line out of your router… and the Wyze app doesn’t even notice, still live video without the internet. It doesnt use their servers as a stream middle-man, it establishes a peer to peer connection to the device directly from the Wyze App using the Wyze Server to initiate that connection only (STUN server). Connecting to one of my V2 cameras via the app starts about 124KB/s of traffic which can continue across Wifi without the internet. The camera and the Wyze app are communicating directly. The lag on a server brokered stream would be several seconds and I’ve rarely seen that from these cameras. On a profit aspect after manufacturing of a $25 camera I’d also be surprised if Wyze could afford the infrastructure to be brokering live streams for every camera they sold while being viewed, they would be bankrupt quickly. I do live stream software development for virtual events and it gets costly very quickly. This is why they sell CamPlus subscriptions for those who want the added functionality costing them real server time. (perhaps the broker some streams if they can’t get a direct NAT connection established but if so I would have to assume it’s a minimal percentage)

If Wyze can write their app, write their device firmware, and even spin up new RTSP firmware for their cameras in mere weeks after Covid hit I don’t think they are lacking in development talent. I do agree they may be lacking in motivation to complete this feature, or it’s a device limitation (as mentioned due to RTSP support needing a different firmware), or something else. But it will require extensive changes to the camera firmware which for some reason or other they haven’t been willing to do. Agreed, love these cameras, this is the one glaring shortcoming.

This might be the reason? If Micro$oft is creating a way to run Android apps on Windows 10, there is no reason for Wyze to do it?

RTSP was already functioning. It was the web cam firmware they developed during the first weeks of COVID-19.

Agreed, that was my intended meaning. Sorry, may have not worded it the best.

1 Like

The point was the same.:slightly_smiling_face:

You are absolutely correct

No. That’s not even close to true. Live streams never pass through Wyze servers. Every live stream is point to point from the camera to the phone. The Wyze servers only receive events as they are recorded.

People are speculating and slide rule wagging without the slightest knowledge of what they’re talking about.

If I’m mistaken, please explain.

2 Likes

Can we get another update on this?

1 Like

Status is as it’s been for a long time - “Researching”.

If you go to Wyze headquarters in Seattle and knock on the ‘rechearchers’ door, no one answers… If you open the door and look inside, it’s a broom closet. (purely an assumption on my part). If it doesn’t come out soon then we will know that my vision is true… Come’on guys it’s been long enough already.

2 Likes

When will Wyze wise up and make access available to Windows 10 users?

1 Like

FYI NoxPlayer was just infested with malware at the source.

https://m.slashdot.org/story/381462

Thanks for the heads up! Unfortunately people searching for their own solutions because of the companies disregard for supporting one of the biggest platforms will lead to such vulnerabilities.

3 Likes

If possible- please allow for camera integration for in browser viewing of not only live view but also playback ( from a media storage source)

While the application is great it is an absolute nightmare when you are attempting to view something important while on a tiny phone screen. I would love to be able to view my cameras within the wyze cam account online while at work- on a large monitor

4 Likes

I just thought that it would be an obvious thing, to want to view my camera feed on my large computer screens and not on a tiny phone! Duh. I don’t get it. I was dumbfounded when I bought my Cam that I could do so. Still am.

4 Likes

Unlike Swann and similar systems, Wyze uses their servers for viewing Wyze cams et al. As far as I can see we’re not directly connected like a dedicated security system. Won’t directly viewing Wyze cam via Windows and Mac overload Wyze’s servers?

If so, they will need to charge for the service. If they make their camera with RSTP they might have to up the price.

No. No they don’t. 3rd party TUTK servers are used for session setup only. Live video never flows through Wyze servers. It is ALWAYS point to point between your phone and your camera. Video events are specifically uploaded to Wyze cloud storage separately.

If you have evidence that I am mistaken please provide it.

It is ALWAYS point to point between your phone and your camera.

How would that work? The camera is behind a firewall, it cannot get an in inbound connection. My phone is certainly not going to accept an inbound connection. How does one establish a connection with the other?