View On PC/Browser (Windows / Mac / Chromebook)

2 Likes

Great work!!!
:+1:

I was purposefully staying away from the RTSP firmware, since it is essentially a “dead end” branch of the code with no updates.

Thank You! Thank You! Thanks You!

Like someone else said, happy to help beta test (and I am already a software beta tester).

BTW, did I say Thank You?

1 Like

Oh wow!!! Yes! Thanks!! I was just cursing how much Bluestacks consumes my pc’s resources. Can’t wait!

2 Likes

I’ve been using BlueStacks too without any problems, but I don’t have 6 cameras. Good to know you can track 6 cameras simultaneously using only 1 instance. Thanks for the pic.

Hi there. I am willing to be a beta tester if there is still a need. Like someone else mentioned, I too am a software tester.

1 Like

My laptop is an 8 year old Mac and I too have no trouble running BlueStacks right along with my browser and my mail program and a few other smaller programs so I am really surprised when I read the reports of those experiencing sluggishness with Blue Stacks. Maybe it’s because I have 8gb ram in both slots (=16gb) but ram is so cheap.

1 Like

I’ll see about posting a call-out in here when the time comes for testing. But we’re still in the research phase and there’s stuff we’re going to be working on first so I don’t know when we’ll be at a testing point. Right now, we mostly just have the, “Yes, we’re doing this,” agreement.

3 Likes

You’ll have plenty of testers. I’d volunteer as well. :relaxed:

1 Like

Great news, can’t wait to be a tester as well,

Hi Gwendolyn,
Can you reveal what features this will include? I use one of my Wyze Cams exlusively for making time-lapse videos and I would really like a way to be able to download each time-lapse recording to a PC, without the need to pull the MicroSD card out of it, because having to remove the card makes it impossible to keep the camera in the exact same position throughout long time-lapse videos that are made on a weekly basis. I’d personally be very happy with something as basic as having the ability to FTP/SFTP into the MicroSD card to grab these files even if it was locked to local network access only.

Yes, having the ability to download the videos without going through the MicroSD card would be awesome!

It’s way too early for Wyze to be revealing features. They just decided that the idea was feasible.
It isn’t a bad idea to let Wyze know what we would like from the software though.

1 Like

Wyze is going to get all kinds of requests for this and no matter what they do, someone will be critical of it.

I would recommend staying with the basics, just let people click on a camera and provide a live view of it. That’s it. No timeline, no settings, tell people to use the app for that. At least at first. Otherwise it’s going to take a long time to get it out the door.

It’s easier to write in features from the beginning than it is to add them later.

1 Like

If you are willing to wait for all those features to be done before release.

Providing the ability for people to just view the cameras from a web browser wouldn’t take much at all to put into place so it would be silly to only expect that in a first release. They could very easily provide this based on what they are already doing with their apps. It’s also worth mentioning the fact that providing FTP access doesn’t even require them to develop a desktop or browser based app at all. All they need to do is update the camera firmware to accept SFTP connections, made from local IP addresses, and only provide us with access to the folders that directories that hold recordings and snapshots.

As a software engineer, I think it’s better to focus on a minimum viable product that will accomplish the main task that most people asked for, then fill in features incrementally.

Compared to the waterfall approach, it allows for a quicker initial release, faster feedback loop working out bugs, and overall better experience for end users.

Generally speaking, it’s not hard to add features to a product that is in continuous development. They generally come quickly once the MVP is solid. It is good to know what features will be added though, as it can help prevent the need to re-work something that was not considered.

1 Like

That is what I was getting at.
ie: If the final intention is to allow the user to view and download video from the SD card it’s best to have the underlying functionality in place to begin with. That doesn’t mean it would actually function in the initial release.

Another thing I’ve done is write something very basic while working on the real release separately. This gives the user some functionality right away.
Which is kind of what @Wrecks0 suggested. :slight_smile: