View On PC/Browser (Windows / Mac / Chromebook)

Thanks to the user for pointing out that it’s actually $15 a year for each camera. I swore I read $15 per month. This puts things into a whole different perspective right now for me then and will be signing up for Cam Plus right now!!

[Mod Edit]

1 Like

My laptops don’t have any trouble running it, works for me.
Some people might like one thing over the other, doesn’t make one better than the other , to each his own

Has anyone else noticed Bluestack spamming ads onto their Windows taskbar now? I’ve seen this on two computers. They show up as an open application button on the taskbar. Kind of puts a damper on that option, IMO.

I’m over the Bluestacks option, myself. Just too resource-overwhelming. Been using it for almost a year now and we need a Wyze-based solution. Shame we won’t see one.

2 Likes

I use it rarely, but like having the option. But the ads showing up on the taskbar is a bit too much. UNINSTALL.

1 Like

Some posts were removed or edited that did not follow the Community Guidelines. Please flag posts that violate the guidelines so the moderators can respond appropriately.

Key points from the guidelines to keep in mind:

• Remember to criticize ideas, not people
  • Please avoid name-calling
  • Don’t divert a topic by changing it midstream
  • Keep posts relevant to Wyze

Important sections:

Always Be Civil

Somtimes We Disagree

Study

It’s been a couple months since I posted on this thread. Skimming through I see more of the same…complaints, Android workarounds, and threats of “leaving Wyze” to go to cameras 2-3 times more expensive for this one feature.

We are all entitled to our respective opinion, but I’ve now been using my RTSP build setup for over 6 months and I love it. Finally figured put the last bug of dual mac address issues with other like minded individuals in the RTSP thread.

I run 12 cameras through a browser with the perk of accessing them through the Wyze app. I took the time to learn how to do it and got past the excuses of waiting for a company to address what I needed.

The $20 cam at it’s current feature set is a steal. I get this is a feature you’d like and I also agree, but there are ways to tackle it now if you want a low cost option. You will, however, need to put some effort into it.

And the effort is rewarded - we had a medical emergency that I was able to get recordings on the event because I used RTSP to build my browser based solution.

I’ll chime in again in 6 months…still running a browser based continuous capture setup and adding more cams. You can keep posting here (vote at a minimum as that’s the real number that’s needed) but just know you can control your own destiny if you’d like as well :slight_smile:

2 Likes

Update: Good news, there IS a support@wyze.com email address. The bad news is… they sent me a reply email that said they don’t monitor it. Are you… kidding me right now? Fine. I’ll guess I’ll just have to put my whole post and email out to the entire world. deep breath … here we go!

So, I got the RTSP thing figured out. I got my Wyze Cam Plus. I had to buy a microSD card and an SD Card reader so I can pull my idea off.

I go to put the RTSP firmware on the outdoor camera and ya, umm… it doesn’t support it. I’m not even joking. My idea was to put my outdoor camera OUTDOORS facing my front door so I can see people from my office downstairs. Get this… IT’S NOT SUPPORTED!! Also, Cam Plus isn’t even supported on the outdoor cameras. I neeeeeed to meet the genius who decided to just completely disregard setting this up because we’ll EVENTUALLY roll out our own program that’s requested by 4000 people.

Eventually.

Okay, no big deal. Maybe I’ll try to use my Wyze Cam v2 … you know, not an outdoor cam so maybe I’ll see if I can configure it to peek out my window from inside my house. I get that super sweet glare going on that doesn’t allow me to view anything I want. But, I got it hooked up. Now, onto the RTSP fun.

YOU CANNOT GENERATE A PUBLIC IP FROM THE RTSP DEAL. Which means, you can’t view your camera outside of your home network. Sure, VPN is an option… but I’m unable to do that from my work computer. So, yeah, I can’t view my camera at all. And, because it’s only local, I can’t use other programs that allow me to view multiple cameras at once. Unfortunately, yeah… doesn’t matter because only one of my cams supports RTSP streaming anyways.

Back to my Wyze Cam v2… horrible glare, but is running RTSP so I can watch it from my basement while I’m working from home and not miss my next package at my doorstep. It’s the best that I can do for now apparently. IF ONLY I HAD AN OUTDOOR CAMERA THAT I BOUGHT THAT ALLOWED US TO USE A FEATURE THAT EXISTS ON THE LOWER END CAM MODELS!!

Okay enough caps… for now. I bought Cam Plus, remember that? Well, when I go to add it to my Wyze Cam v2, it says I don’t have any cameras. I’m guessing because this is on some sort of trial. Here’s my first question… who made this garbage application that isn’t intuitive at all and seriously wastes your time because it doesn’t flat out tell you what’s happening?

I’m a techy nerd. I have two IT degrees. Can you imagine giving this thing to someone 80 years old that can barely use their smartphone? No? That means that your UI is too complicated.

FIX…
YOUR…
CRAP…

… and stop releasing headphones.

I’m seriously considering going out of my way to return everything Wyze that I own. Having this solution, available to Outdoor cameras, would make this such a better experience for everyone.

If only I could bill Wyze for the time I’ve wasted figuring all this out. I’ve spent way more time on this than I wanted. Wyze, the beast of a company bringing counter-intuitive technology to your fingertips without ever having a customer support email.

Almost everything you’ve complained about is either documented or a common industry practice. No home networking gear allows you to assign a public IP address to the device. It wouldn’t make sense. That is up to your router. In the case of Wyze products, since they typically don’t support a static private IP address, the usual practice is to set a reserved DHCP lease for its MAC address at your router.

The Wyze Cam Outdoor originally did not support CamPlus but I believe it does now. It has NEVER been advertised to support RTSP either stock or with alternate firmware.

If by glare you mean night time reflections off glass, the V2s allow you to turn off the infrared LED lights in night mode.

Wyze has many issues. But sadly nothing you’ve complained about here is their fault, or requires fixing in any way.

Good read sir, unfortunately it’s true too. I don’t pretend to know the mind set of those who ultimately make decisions on the things you mentioned… It seems rather subversive in a way… To have an advertised support email that isn’t even monitored totally unacceptable and counter intuitive in the business world… Customer feedback should be the primary tool used by a company to take the temperature of their product as it impacts their customers… SHAME ON YOU WYZE. YOU ARE CAPABLE OF SOOOOO MUCH MORE. I just cannot fathom what drives you.

Having a monitored email is standard practice for companies selling to the USA that have a USA presence. Having one and “not monitoring it” is silly, IMO, so why even have it at all?

They are responsive on the phone, I will say that for them.

The whole PC Client topic has been beat to death. The alternatives have been beat to death.

If you have this many messages in a thread and all you get from Wyze is moderation and “we are looking into it” responses, don’t get in a hurry. They are here to make money. Having it all on AWS and making you go there for logged events… is to make MONEY. They know that no one wants alert limits or 15 second events only, so if you PAY them MORE MONEY, they have done what they set out to do.

Developing a PC Client… well look… MOST people are either not going to pay attention to the fact that they do NOT have one, when they buy, and putting one to the pavement is gonna COST MONEY that they have already gotten from consumers who didn’t make that a priority in their purchase. It is extra, and isn’t what they promised out of the box. Now… if they went about saying “This product does not have a PC Client” they would lose business, so they just leave it out, as features they HAVE.

ReoLink has the right idea with some of their products, offering that as part of the software, and giving you some control over what you do but some of that requires expertise that they would have to support and help with. Pushing out a cloud service based solution that requires little expertise on the part of the customer to use, is the money maker.

Y’all seeing a theme here?

Would you confirm that ‘Non responsive’ in regards to support email address is NOT actionable by Wyze… Me thinks not.

That’s actually common too. I would guess they use it only in the From field of semi-automated or help desk responses.

Not saying it’s good. But it’s common.

If they don’t advertise the email address AND support via that email address, then it’s not their problem if you try to use it.

No, it’s because you installed the RTSP firmware on your V2. You can’t have both Cam Plus and RTSP on the same camera.
As @Customer mentioned, if you want to view your camera outside of your LAN you’ll have to forward the RTSP port using your router. A VPN wouldn’t really help.

2 Likes

I’m one of the 80 year-olds (actually 77) who can barely use their cell phone! I think WYZE is a bunch of liars who don’t give a rat’s ass about me or any customer. When bright guys like you and others post RTSP and VPN and all those other technical terms, I get madder and madder, not at you, but at the [bad people] at WYZE. I wish I knew who makes the decisions at WYZE [mod edit]

MOD NOTE: Post edited to conform to the Community Guidelines.

1 Like

Hey - you can use the indoor camera outdoors - I have a couple of them and they are working fine. winter and summer. I used these outdoor mounts (even painted them) and no issues whatsoever: Amazon.com

Ideally you should mount the camera under the eaves so it’s semi=protected.

1 Like

The Wyze cameras work fairly well right out of the box. Are you having a problem with them?
RTSP, VPN and other addons are not required. Those of us that use such things are doing things with the cameras that Wyze had no intentions of supporting.

2 Likes

Whoa whoa whoa… hold up.

“Everything you’ve complained about is either documented or a common industry practice.”

So, I gotta be an expert on security systems or something? Or just network administration? Are we really that ignorant to think that EVERYONE KNOWS that routers can’t assign a public IP address. I forgot, this is something they teach you in 2nd grade when you’re first learning cursive right? It’s that common? Or is it only common if you’re a network administrator? Weird, does everyone have to be a network administrator to know what can and cannot be done with these little cameras?

To be fair, I did ask that question. “Can you assign a public IP address to a Wyze camera?” Granted, I have a couple IT degrees but they were also from 12+ years ago. Do I need to go back to college to figure this stuff out or something?

Yeah, I’m being super obtuse. This garbage is designed for programmers, and network administrators. But, who is their end user. Here’s a hint… ITS NOT ALL NERDS LIKE YOU WHO KNOW THIS STUFF. Documentation is available, sure… but by the time I had that question, I’ve already spent 4 hours researching other questions I have. Like, hey… can my Wyze Cam even do this? Or… what is RTSP? Or… what programs can I use? You see the rabbit hole… all to find out if it can do what I want it to do. And the answer, time and time again, is no.

Go give this post to your neighbor. If they understand it, take it to 4 more. I guarantee you, you’ll be hard pressed to find someone that can understand… " In the case of Wyze products, since they typically don’t support a static private IP address, the usual practice is to set a reserved DHCP lease for its MAC address at your router."

THIS IS NOT USER FRIENDLY FOR A NON-TECHNICAL USER BASE.

Wyze should get this program and their crap together and release a more user friendly option so people, even like myself, don’t need to jump through 45 hoops to just see if something will work or not.