View On PC/Browser (Windows / Mac / Chromebook)

I give information on workarounds because that is all we have not because I don’t agree that Wyze should be working on a better solution.
I don’t think I’ve read a comment yet that is negative toward the suggestion of a Wyze solution to the problem.
It wasn’t until Amiga’s last post that I understood why our workarounds wouldn’t work for him, “The need to receive notifications at work.”.

I am practical. If this product gets too annoying to use I’ll switch to a more suitable camera. So far, I can live with the Wyze shortcomings. :slight_smile:

1 Like

From someone who spends most of his workday staring at a monitor…Yes, Please add web and/or desktop support.

It appears Wyze is a profitable company and has substantially increased its staffing capabilities. However, the direction that they have chosen seems to be to expand their product suite, instead of going deep into each product.

I think you’re right, I don’t think developing a PC or Mac-based software solution for viewing the Wyze Cam is anywhere in their short term plan. They appear to be going more for the “shock and awe” approach to the market place for gaining more exposure from all the free PR.

I am the 1,000th user to reply. WYZE should have a PC viewer, Otherwise, I’ll get fed up with it, dump my cameras on FaceBook Marketplace, and go to another camera company.

The costs I have incurred are so minimal (compared to ring and other camera companies) I can just chuck the WYZE cameras and accessories in the trash without much economic loss.

Listen to your customers WYZE. Otherwise, you’ll get a bad reputation, sales will evaporate and other camera systems will cause your company to fail.

1 Like

Just added my comment/reply to bring the total to 1,000. It’s the most requested change. Why won’t WYZE listen to its customers?

We are listening and we’re in this thread. There are considerations outside of the popularity of the request (direction, implementation, complication, resources, ability, security, etc.). So we’re still discussing this request internally and we haven’t decided against it but we don’t have a solid answer yet.

2 Likes

As long as you are aware that you are losing customers.

It is entirely up to you but I have already switched and am only on this forum to see if my one wyze camera needs to go to many.

So far the answer has been a resounding no. That I need to pay $50 for one that has PC support rather than $25 for Android/iOS only.

Don

Not just replies but actual votes far outdistance the next closest - votes are restricted to one per user while replies can be multitudinous. Many replies are those offering workaround suggestions or follow ups explaining why a workaround is not suitable for a particular user or circumstance. The other point is that this has been on the wishlist for well over a year. So it is likely @masterep got it right, their focus is on wowing the market and the ensuing free PR - maybe add to that, meanwhile hoping to keep the customer base happy with the quick and easy wishlist items. On the bright side @UserCustomerGwen has been more active recently posting that this is not yet a dead item. No upgrade of status yet, but hope.

I try to walk the balance of not taking over conversations and putting in updates. I apologize for apparently not successfully walking that line earlier.

2 Likes

Thanks Gwendolyn! I appreciate that.

I am working with 32 home owners on my street and we are considering using Wyze for our street facing cameras and sharing each other’s feeds.

1 Like

You’re welcome!

That’s a nifty idea. :slight_smile:

1 Like

I think a hub would be the easiest and best option for wyze. Simply put, hosting a web-service isn’t cost effective, The hub can host a secured webpage on itself so any type of device can be used to view and access the cameras. Windows, Linux, MacOS, etc. It also can host its own wireless to keep congestion low on the primary router and connect cameras on the fringe of wireless signal. This can also allow the WyzeCam to function and be configured without an internet connection to work as a standalone product in places where internet access is neither affordable or practical. Personally, I’d buy a wyze hub if it were ever announced and I think that is the best and easiest option to implement, everything else requires web-hosting or a custom written application which is OS specific. This simplifies everything, you’ve already got the hardware and most of the software to make this happen quite easily.(I’ve poked around the firmware of the cameras, it’s a simple arm based board running a small linux os, the same can be used to make the hub itself, just use a slightly more powerful board, etc.)

And another added bonus would be the ability to save videos to external media like an external SSD/HDD for extra backup in the event a camera was damaged, etc. I know this conflicts with the cloud service model, but it would provide an option to those of us without stable network connections (My mother in-law forgets to pay the bill quite often.) and would be a nice central management point for those who want better storage/rollover/playback as well.

2 Likes

Oh I see, so to rehash, the idea is to install an emulator on the PC so that you can install the Wyze app within it, and then run the app in the emulator? Thanks for clarifying that. I was concerned that some app would need to be installed on the phone to act as an interface between the phone app and the PC, and that would be problematic for me because the Wyze app alone in streaming mode is killing my battery. Thanks again!

1 Like

@camv2 - you got it :grin: Hopefully that helps until there is an official way to do it!

1 Like

I’ll vote for this idea. It’s the best so far - plus maybe it could allow for connecting all their devices so they could all function when the internet goes down, assuming power remains. Makes far more sense than what came to mind last night - had a thought of the current cam limitation of too little capacity to host sufficient code to do much else, so maybe use a usb connected add on device that could attach to back of cam - but then I realized the usb is most likely only connected to pass thru power, not data. But I guess that device could communicate over WiFi to the cam or maybe pass data via short cable connected to the sd socket - so depending on size, power requirements or other issues, maybe there is some merit to an add on, but I’m guessing those more knowledgeable (my expertise is chemical processes) on this forum will explain why it’s most likely not practical. But if possible it could be an intermediary between existing cams and a hub if current cams are too technically limited.

The hub idea is brilliant, as you mention it could possibly help extend WiFi and allow for onsite stg to a nas, nfs, or connected stg device. I got a feeling the outdoor cam may be coming with a hub in mind, as well as the doorbell cam which is going out to beta testing hopefully soon. I’ve only used the cam and plug so not really familiar with the full line, but I think hubs are being used to some extent. Expanding capabilities via hubs may just be the thing to address this and the nas wishlist items and elevate wyze in the surveillance and security market.

1 Like

I have purchased 6 for my business, need more. Will be looking for a camera that can be viewed on a computer monitor. Thats what I need. Hope yours will do that prior to my next purchase. Thank you, Bert McDowell

I have an Android emulator on my window 10 computer called Andy and I’ve downloaded the Android Wyze App into the emulator and I can stream my camera(s)

1 Like

just seen this today. not sure if its been mentioned on this forum yet, but at first glace it seems to be a great solution be it at an additional cost…

Dude, I don’t know how to thank you! Installing BlueStacks was pretty straight forward. The only issue for me was that I needed to enable virtualization; otherwise, graphics are extremely extremely slow (and BlueStacks tells you that). This workaround is good enough for me. The added bonus for me as an iOS user is that I was able to adjust the detection zone in the Android emulator! :+1: 2 birds, 1 stone. Both of my issues have been resolved. Many thanks!

2 Likes

Thanks @camv2 - glad to hear it worked for you!

1 Like