View On PC/Browser (Windows / Mac / Chromebook)

Agree I need this yesterday!!

Maybe if we get to 1,000 replies they’ll get to this…

I’m trying to bring focus back to the original topic with this follow up question. (Not looking to change the $25 camera device features)

Strictly from a technology standpoint, what would be the major obstacles in providing support for PC/Mac viewing?

1 Like

I agree, what would it take to have a software PC viewer for a non-technical person for the Wyzecams.

For myself, think of the subject audience as a group of seniors at a local church’s prayer group trying to teach each other how to setup that Windows software viewer for the Wyzecams they just purchased.

1 Like

A Windows 7/8/10 and MAC application would be a great feature. RTSP is available but limited functions.

Thank you!

1 Like

It will cost Wyze to hire more developers. As of now they are already maintaining code for two (2) platform, iOS and Android, and they are already having a hard time streamlining the user interface and the app performance on both platform. I’m not a developer, but I think you’ll need some development team to make an app cross-platform on all of these OS. That is why RTSP comes in, because this protocol is standard and supported by many surveillance software and even media players on different OS platforms. So that is our best bet, to push Wyze to develop more better the RTSP firmware.

1 Like

Great, i have about 34, 70+ Year old senior citizens on a restricted income who wants to use this PC application at my mother’s Church.

Please advise how to get them started.

1 Like

I just thought of something that might be an option to help facilitate.

At my work, they use a private YouTube channel to feed video to for shared viewing and storage of non confidential videos.

Maybe there’s something to that approach?!

RTSP does not solve my problem, as I have pointed out above in this thread. I simply would like to hear from Wyze on the topic. I am not interested in how other people have come up with a work around using 3rd party, untrustworthy apps to solve a problem I don’t have. My problem, and that of thousands of others, is that we want to monitor cameras that are thousands of miles away, are not on the same network as any computer, so can’t use RTSP, and do so from a place where phones are not allowed, Our interest is in a Wyze provided web interface for controlling all of our Wyze devices. Not just for viewing cameras.

2 Likes

I wouldn’t trust Youtube. A web interface should be standard, as it is for other brands. YouTube will not alert you of intruders with notifications or allow you to control other devices such as Wyze bulbs. I am interested in a native, industry standard, Wyze provided web interface that operates all of their devices. I would even pay for it. I am not interested in anything else.

You’re posting your question in a public user forum so you’re going to get answers from the public. :slight_smile:
You may get a response from Wyze by email.
The thread is over a year old and Wyze hasn’t given any feedback beyond, ‘we’re looking at it’.
I would like a definitive date too but it’s very unlikely.

I don’t think I’m going to have a different answer about this any time soon. It’s still coming up in discussions here but we don’t have any resolutions right now. If we choose to implement this, we want to make sure that it’s done well and securely.

2 Likes

RTSP will mess up your camera you won’t get any updates or new up coming features

It will not mess up your camera. It is a choice of control. I use the RTSP build and I have all the features you have in the mainstream build (currently) and I control my data. There is a chance that features may diverge, but because I have RTSP I have more features then anyone has with the mainstream build. I can control how many days I want to save before archiving, I can specify the seconds of capture (along with continuous), I can have have multiple motion zones, I can upload to OneDrive, I can stream to anything…I could use “I can” on and on…

Is it as easy to setup as a Wyze portal - absolutely not. But a bird in the hand is better than two in the bush.

1 Like

Ok though can you at least commit to providing a timeline to start development …say… in the next 30 days? This is a major market opportunity for Wyze and a slow response to such an opportunity seems a poor decision. Thanks

That is not a commitment that I can make at this time.

1 Like

I agree, Wyze didn’t seem to have considered anything other than cell phones. I find it odd. Yeah, it’s extremely convenient to monitor what’s going on when you’re not at home or work, but most of us are either at home or work for the majority of the time, so using a computer makes more sense than a portable device. Odd if you ask me.

What is the overhead though? Livestream on my phone kills my battery. Are there clear instructions (from Wyze) on how to do this? I have an iPhone.

Not sure if everyone realizes this, but there are other products that provide a web interface to view cameras in a system. However, the web “client” is mostly clunky, and generally their specific app works better on any platform. If you can get away from viewing the system as a web page in a generic browser and commit to an OS specific app, then there are lots of solutions out there. However, the trade-off is you won’t get the spiffy Wyze product, you’ll have more installation to do, and there will be a DVR/NVR somewhere in the system. This is both a benefit and a problem. The benefit is, long-term unified storage. The problem is, you have to connect every camera to it somehow, even if over WiFi. My personal “system” is a mix of Wyze products and a more traditional DVR with wired cameras. There are points to both, and I use both. Neither completely replaces the other. But the point is, there are many other products that provide computer access and control, you just give up ease of installation, and to a lesser extent, cost.

@camv2 - There are no instructions from Wyze on how to install an Android emulator on your computer. You can find many examples though of installing BlueStacks (the most consumer friendly emulator for Android IMO): https://support.bluestacks.com/hc/en-us/articles/360013662851-How-to-download-and-install-BlueStacks-

After installing BlueStacks, if you’re not an Android user, you may need to create a Google account but you basically do that and open the Google Play Store and install the Wyze app…you can now stream to your PC.

1 Like