View On PC/Browser (Windows / Mac / Chromebook)

Hello and welcome to the community @bm47ford if you have not already click on the vote button at the top so it will count your vote.

3 Likes

It’s still under discussion about how we would implement such a thing so no further progress at this point. :slight_smile:

I can’t believe this is something no one thought of. I don’t believe it. The idea this security camera would be completely phone-centric is just ridiculous.

It’s needed to view on pc including playback, and we have to be able to find clips and export them from time mark to time mark, because this is a security camera.
We need to be able to export a time slice, like for law enforcement and it cannot be stuck on a phone. That is nonsense. What if your wyze cam caught a murder? You must be able to establish a chain of custody.

The file has to be available. If it’s not, this is all worthless.

11 posts were split to a new topic: Security camera vs. smart camera

This thread diverged into a different subject. That discussion can now be found at the link above.

Guys, viewing on a PC can be done using RTSP firmware and VLC:

2 Likes

I can’t speak to the guides that come with the product, but the cost difference is definitely optical vs digital. This has always been true.

Well, you could tie it into this: Network Attached Storage (NAS) - #145 by holocron

1 Like

Seems wyze is trying to force customers to only use proprietary solutions - sort of copying the Apple model of controlling the ecosystem. Want to stream your iPhone, get an Apple TV. Want to use a NAS, get a wyze NAS. I can assure wyze if they follow this path, they will lose customers because they fail to meet the Apple level of perceived build quality, elegant design and the “it simply works, no skill required” mantra.

This write up clearly shows it doesn’t take any extraordinary knowledge. Even my very limited basic Linux skill can understand the commands being used and how it could easily be deployed by simply adding an option to the app to toggle it on or off and to allow pointing to the network share desired.

Hoping for the desktop viewer on Mac. Small window is sufficient. I use my cameras in an office location and would love to know who has entered before I leave my desk and make the trek up to our front door. Many times it is a mail carrier or package delivery which do not need my attention. We understand you are working on it, so please keep at it, and thanks for a great product.

Hoping for the desktop viewer on Mac. Small window is sufficient. I use my cameras in an office location and would love to know who has entered before I leave my desk and make the trek up to our front door. Many times it is a mail carrier or package delivery which do not need my attention. We understand you are working on it, so please keep at it, and thanks for a great product.

Come on guys, is not hard, just need a bit of time invested thats it, we are not asking to invent the wheel, many other cameras do it, nowadays we have whatsapp web, skype web all web,

Actually, no, they aren’t working on it.
The status of this request is Maybe-later.

1 Like

Yes, this is not in progress. A few posts back in #560 will give you a link to how to do this on a computer using RTSP & VLC. That’s today.

1 Like

Why can’t I use my laptop to view my cameras If there isn’t a way how long until yall create a way. Iam thinking sooner than later I see many users asking for it now ge
t it done

Viewing on a computer can be done today using RTSP firmware and VLC:

2 Likes

I’ll add that these instructions are for viewing inside your own LAN. Elsewhere, you’ll need to reserve the local LAN IP and forward ports. These two steps, however, depend on the router you have.

You’ll also need your WAN IP.

RTSP is just beta at present. I haven’t decided to try it yet. Before I do, can you specify the port in the firmware? In order to forward in the router, you have to know the port. Finding the ip and wan ip is easy enough, but haven’t read about the port.

As for wyze, this topic now has over 2000 votes but it’s still listed as maybe later. Disappointing.

I don’t remember being asked for the preferred port number. It defaults to 554. It probably is baked into the firmware, I’m not sure, might need to ask WYZE.

If you’re port forwarding, you can always assign another external port number in the mapping.

Ya, I recall now mention. Had to do similar for remote access to my lan printer. Just not sure I want to bother with a beta. Only betas I’ve used have fairly strong open source communities. Not too sure how much effort wyze puts into this.

It might be a beta, but it seems very stable. I’ve had no issues with it. Like WYZE says, it doesn’t do SD recording.

But this is something I never expected; everything else works. The RTSP cam shows up in the WYZE app (even without port forwarding and even outside home network), the events get recorded, you get notifications. Just no SD card access. And probably no sense support, I don’t have bridge/sense to test.

Unless you really need RTSP support, like you want to view outside of your home network on a desktop or are using another software that requires RTSP, there’s not much value.