Video only shows AFTER detection, not before

When my indoor wyze cam captures a video the clip shows me the 6 seconds before the detection event and then 6 seconds after. My wyze cam outdoor only shows me the 12 seconds after. This isn’t really useful. I have it set by my front door with the detection zone set to avoid capturing cars in the street. So the detection triggers when someone is about 10-12 feet from my front door. All the video clips I capture start when someone is about 5 feet from the door so I get about a 3 second glimpse of the person and the rest of the clip has no useful data (because the person is now standing too close for the camera to see them).
I would really like this to work like the indoor camera.

I can’t move the camera back any further. It’s already on the wall next to the door.

The detection system is different for the WCO. It has the pir sensor that wakes the camera up upon motion detection. The camera wakes up then starts recording. If the motion passes the 2nd later of detection (motion sensitivity slider, that clip is saved. The camera does detect farther away, just if the subject is moving toward the camera it’ll take a sec to start, which is the subject moving about 5 to 10 feet.

You can test the wake time by being out of frame if the camera, then waving your hand say 10 times infront of the camera triggering the motion clip. Now when you get the event clip, count how many waves you see. If you only see 4 waves, it takes the camera the time it takes you to wave back and forth 6 times to wake. I usually get about 8 or 9 waves to show, which is about a 1 or 2 ish wake time.

1 Like

So the Wyze Cam Outdoor model will never, ever work the way you want it to. You should consider replacing it with a V2, V3, or another vendor’s camera. (The V3 is also an outdoor rated camera.)

Thank you for the explanation. I understand now.

The hub becomes an expensive paperweight. This is the reason I never ordered a WCO.