Video Doorbell

I already have 2 Wyze cams and a doorbell would complete the package, please make it a priority before any outdoor cams, a doorbell is an outdoor cam right?

We have lots of people using the camera outdoor already, me inclusive, so that’s not a problem, give us a doorbell.

2 Likes

I am using the Echo Button as a door bell. Battery powered, works with Alexa and Alexa routines. Currently have it mounted in a modified PVC electrical box but looking for other mounting options.

Count me IN for the doorbell idea. It is a natural match for WYZE. Set the doorbell product industry on its head like you have with the WYZE cams! But if Amazon comes knocking to buy WYZE and own the competition, please do not sell!! YES to the doorbell!

3 Likes

Not sure where to put suggestion , so I will put it here.
Wyze needs to produce a Video Doorbell - The existing market is full of overpriced products. They could undercut the other producers and corner the market.

I know you can put a cam at the door but that is not the same thing. Take the cam, add a base ringer there you go.

I’m in Indiana. I have had a WyzeCam outside for almost a year. With ifttt, when there is motion at my door, I have a couple Phillips hue bulbs (one upstairs and one downstairs) blink on and off three times. When there is motion at night, my outside patio light turns on.

2 Likes

Love to have thin flat model, half to one inch thick maybe (square or rectangular model) with all the core features, for the door bell.

1 Like

Here is an idea for apartment dwellers: see the picture.

Wyze cam can do something similar to this setup. Instead of the camera looking like the one in the picture, it can be a Wyze cam with a tube that fits into a regular door viewer found in most apartments.

Our building does not allow residents to place doorbells or anything to the outside of our apartment doors. Other problems are theft/vandalism of anything attached to the outside of apartment doors.

I do like the Doorbell Cam idea for houses, however, it is not practical for apartments or condos.

Does anyone agree with this potential solution for apartment/condo residents?

10 Likes

how are you powering it? running it off an external light? thanks

I have installed a wyze cam pan above my doorbell, and powered from my doorbell button power using a ac to dc buck converter. This allows both the interior doorbell to still work as well as provide power to the camera.

13 Likes

Where is the converter? In the box the doorbell button is mounted to?

Yes, I bought the box from home depot. This gives enough room for the converter

2 Likes

That’s an impressive setup and great way to power your Wyzecam!

maybe add Alexa to control the deadbolt on the door…

if you spell wuze correctly, we will say back “yeah”! :smile:

2 Likes

Just to be clear, I’m thinking most of these people (myself included) are wanting a full doorbell that has a camera in it (similar to Ring and such), not just a regular wyze camera that we can connect somehow to trigger with an existing smart doorbell. The main post here sounds like it’s talking about the latter rather than the former, but we are wanting a doorbell.

2 Likes

nbcleslie, what type of buck converter did you use? Happen to have a link to it, or keywording to search for it online?

Thanks.

We? Not this we. I was just impressed with what he did. Most doorbells point toward streets and would have to have detection zones pointed down at feet to prevent constant events. Which, I think, is why whenever we’ve needed video for a problem, the Ring doorbells and Nest cameras were never triggered and therefore never caught video of what was needed.

1 Like

If you are willing to wait eBay is much cheaper from China. If not amazon link on prime.
https://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B00SO4T7IU?psc=1&ref=ppx_pop_mob_b_pd_title

2 Likes

I said that assuming that wyze would include the detection zone in the doorbell camera, considering that their current cameras have this feature. But I also recognize that wasn’t everyone’s desire, which is why I said “most”. That said, I still suspect from reading other comments that most of the people voting for this feature are referring to a wyze version of the doorbell with the camera in it.

1 Like