Video Doorbell

Answered the Survey. Currently, I have a wired Ring doorbell and I am looking to get off the Ring Surveillance Network.

On the Ring that I have, the wires just trickle charge the battery on the unit. I wouldn’t be adverse to getting wireless as long as the batteries last for a decent period of time (6-12 months) and the camera actually records human motion at my door.

1 Like

A lot of those questions probably were not asked because they are more platform specific as opposed to a specific product. For instance the 12 second videos, I am guessing if any change was made there it would affect all video products and not just the doorbell. Just my guess

1 Like

It wasn’t explicit in the survey, so I wanted to add my two cents here and say that what I’m looking for is a through-the-door cam/doorbell that will replace the peephole I have now. I don’t have and don’t want to add wiring for a doorbell on the doorpost (my house is made of stone over 8 inches thick…adding wiring is not an option for me).
Door knock sensitivity would be nice. The USPS letter carrier who delivers to my neighborhood is notorious about not ringing a doorbell…she always knocks (and all this time I thought the postman rang twice! lol)…so it would be nice if a knock on the door activated the chime and camera.
An on-device screen that activated when someone rang or knocked would be nice so I didn’t have to get out my phone or look across the room at a tablet in Show Mode to see what the camera was seeing outside my door. I understand that this would affect battery life, and I’m fine with that. I will gladly plug the battery into a USB charger (or replace the rechargeable AA batteries if you go that route) a bit more often to have that convenience.
Another thing I’d like would be to have a light around the push button that comes on when motion is detected so the person coming up to the door realizes that it’s a doorbell and not just a camera or, in the case of some of my older relatives, another piece of new tech their mad scientist relative found. :slight_smile:

Thanks!

2 Likes

There’s a separate Wishlist topic for that: Peephole (Door View) Camera. You might want to hop over there and vote and/or comment.

5 Likes

I didn’t know there was a separate branch topic for that now.
Thanks!

2 Likes

Survey completed. Count me in! I currently have a Nest Hello doorbell. But in keeping with my Wyze addiction, I can’t wait to get my hands and house on a Wyze wifi doorbell. I will say this. A lot of folks love my Nest doorbell but fear the wiring … or live in older houses without proper wiring. Rechargeable doorbell would probably be a huge hit if you could tie it into a Wyze combo ringer/siren plugged inside house, triggered by doorbell, cams or sensors. Ringer/siren should be plugged into electricity because it would need to be loud and long, which would drain most batteries. @UserCustomerGwen

1 Like

Agree on these questions. Many questions were not really associated with anything “Doorbell”

I suspect “wired or wireless” was mostly what they wanted to know, and the other hardware features are already locked in (they’re gonna use xnor.ai for detection, it likely won’t have 5ghz due to the chip they’ll choose, etc).

I’m excited to see what they’ll do as well and, like the broader market, I’ll be looking to replace my Ring, so I’m hopeful they’ll come with a product I can just swap out.

Ps. My door, regretfully, has a glass pane, so no peephole :crazy_face:

1 Like

I have a Yeoman video doorbell, and it has optional hard wiring and/or battery. It was $40, and for that it does a decent job, but they are not selling them anymore, and the reviews are not good. It has two 18650 rechargeable batteries. I have an external charger and extra batteries, so when the batteries show below mid-way in the app, I just schedule 5 minutes to swap out my hot spares. It is really not that bad. I mounted mine on the brick next to the door using “brick clips” I bought off Amazon. Nobody could ever see my other doorbell to the left of the door, so this video doorbell works pretty good, just never records the person till they are walking away.
I am in immediately if Wyze offers beta testing on a doorbell camera, but it has to offer battery power stand-alone, and an indoor ringer.

2 Likes

Hi, folks! Thanks for taking the survey and for providing further feedback here. Yes, this was mostly intended for figuring out the wired vs wireless direction and we may have further surveys in the future about more specific features and such but I can’t say for sure yet.

The data has been SUPER helpful and we’re all very excited! And the demographic data has been great for giving us a better idea of:

A. Who is answering the survey and if we should look for other demographics to ask
B. Who may be more interested in the product and what use cases we should look at

We appreciate your help! :smiley:

5 Likes

Demographic data won’t be very accurate as international users filling out the survey select a random location, if it was one of the first questions they may decide not to participate but as it’s the last question they have already taken the time

1 Like

I’ve got the Ring 2, and my biggest annoyance is the latency between someone ringing the doorbell and Alexa actually alerting me. I realize anything that runs over WiFi will have some inherent latency. When it comes to motion alerts, etc, it doesn’t really bother me. But when someone rings the bell, I should really hear it immediately.

Ring sells a separate chime, but it also runs over wifi, so it doesn’t actually solve that problem. The ideal video doorbell, in my opinion, would include a chime that runs on Bluetooth or RF or something similar, so that the chime could be heard almost immediately.

2 Likes

valid point. Bluetooth has a range of roughly 15 foot and would be impacted by the house itself fairly easy, I think NFC would be bad too, but a good RF transmitter would work good.

1 Like

For my personal use-case, I wouldn’t be that concerned about range since I’d probably stick a chime right next to my door on the inside, but yeah, Bluetooth probably wouldn’t be the best option. I don’t really care what technology it uses, as long as it solves the problem.

1 Like

same here. im pretty excited for the doorbell. but I despise batteries because im in lower Michigan and winters here are stupid. im hoping it has a wired option…but then again, then I’ll have to run wires :slight_smile: maybe for the chime too. who knows. looks like this one is going to cause me to work. lol

1 Like

Oh definitely. I’d hope that any battery-powered ANYTHING would still leave the OPTION for hardwiring. It sounds like that’s the plan for the outdoor cameras, for example, which is great. And most likely, the feature set would be a little higher if you can hardwire it. (Always-on recording, etc.)

2 Likes

Interesting. I have the Ring 2 as well. The latency between the time the pre-existing doorbell chime ringing and Alexa announcement is less than half a second on my network.

My issue with the device is their surveillance network where they are selling my video to law enforcement without an opt-in and the fact that connecting to the video stream can take 30 seconds.

2 Likes

I’m assuming you have it on battery power, right? The connection delay is understandable because of the low power consumption. I don’t like it, but I can forgive it. Haha.

The chime delay varies for me. It’s not USUALLY that bad. On a good day, it’s half a second probably. Sometimes it’s more like 1-2 seconds. But I’ve literally had it take 8-10 seconds before, which is crazy.

1 Like

Electricity is supplied via the pre-existing doorbell 24v power lines. It has been installed for 2 years now and I have never had to remove its battery for charging.

1 Like

Oh. In that case, I’d be annoyed by that, too. Haha.

1 Like