Video Doorbell

Not that I need one, but I can see the benefit at our house would be a straight on view of who is approaching or standing at the door since our existing db location is 90deg from door on side wall and somewhat forward. If people ignore the db to knock, all I get is a partial side view. Also for those without an existing doorbell who have no power - it would not be elegant to have a usb power cable running along the door, but a battery unit would at least be easy to manage if it’s in the interior part of the device. Maybe an overnight charge once a month or something like that. Certainly not an obscure application, especially for apartment dwellers.

1 Like

Would it be a camera or something that actually has a button to act as a doorbell as well? I ask because, a simple batery powered wide angle view camera would work here I think, along with motion dettection, zones, and facial recognition (which should be standard). I have seen a couple other requests for a wireless, battery powered version of a doorbell, and I think maybe this use case could extend the need for one. I think that for versatility, the ability to hard wire OR use battery power would solve these needs. At its core:

• Battery or AC powered
  • Adehesive or screw mounting.
  • Flush or with bezel.
  • Motion, zoneing, and facial recognition standard.
  • Remote bell actuator optional.

Should meet the needs of anyone. DOes anyone see a core feature that I have not listed here?

Also, I’m gonna go out on a limb and say all this Coronavirus insanity has slowed certain things down. It’s probably a lot harder for the engineers to work on any changes if they’re working at home than if they were at work.

2 Likes

I peephole camera is ideal for a rental apartment because it does not permanently alter the door and all mechanicals are inside the apartment and cannot be vandalized or stolen. That said, it should be battery operated.

Steve Fields

2 Likes

It sounds like you may want to request a new product. If I’m understanding you correctly the product you are describing is a camera, that is battery powered, that can mount to a door in the hole of a peephole. This thread is for a video doorbell. Would the product you described be able to perform as a doorbell?

1 Like

There’s already a separate wishlist topic for Peephole Camera:

3 Likes

For the product I described to also act as a doorbell the outside bezel would have to include an obvious, perhaps red, pressure contact switch that rang a Wyze sound generator and/or activated the Wyze app.
But thanks for the information about the other forum. I’ll check it out.

1 Like

I respectfuly disagree, as an engineer myself, I find it just as easy to work from home despite colocation. Not saying their focus isnt towards moveing forward though.

2 Likes

Not to sidetrack a thread m4k3r, but I too work in engineering and have been in many ways more efficient without the distractions, side bar discussions etc. However, no more kids at home either. :slight_smile:

3 Likes

I’m a school district systems administrator and I have a 10-year-old and a 4-year-old at home… Oh, boy, they’re distracting. LOL

1 Like

Yea, my 4 can be as well, but we are working together nicely. I am lucky to have their mother running interference, especially during my meetings ha.

Back on topic though… Has anyone seen the dorrbell yet or know anything about it that are able and willing to share?

Yea. I figure if they’re in alpha/beta testing, they have a product. But would imagine Wyze doesn’t wanna share yet and that all testers are under NDAs.

3 Likes

You are probably right, but doesnt hurt to ask :slight_smile:

To any testers that may be inclined to answer…

:eyes: :eyes: :eyes:

12 Likes

Are you asking for a beta tester?

Sorry, no. This is a dire warning to the testers in the full test group that I’m paying attention. :slight_smile:

There’s an “eyes on you” joke about folks that have spilled the beans in previous test cycles. That’s generally on accident.

8 Likes

Oh ok sorry didn’t get that :grinning:

(However if your looking for a beta tester I’m here and have already filled out the form. Don’t have Facebook though. Any plans to move away from Facebook?)

1 Like

There are updates from April in the thread, just san up.
Still no official images.

1 Like

We’re checking out a platform later this week to see if it will be a good replacement but I can’t make promises on that. Thanks for checking in! :slight_smile:

3 Likes

I like Betabound, but I don’t know what that would entail on your end. I’ve never been to Betabound jail :rofl: :rofl:

1 Like