Video Doorbell Disappointment

I was so excited to get the early offer on the new doorbell camera. I watched the installation video and saw that the current doorbell chime is bypassed with a resistor wire. Where a simple button-push rings the bell, why would you make a doorbell replacement that doesn’t use the current chime? This renders systems that use multiple chimes useless.

Yes, it comes with a programmable chime, but must rely on the wifi working for it to function. I also need a remote location covered which I only see it comes with the one unit.

One more thing - I hate that another wall-wart is needed just to “chime”. Using the current chime would have been a much nicer installation.

Very disappointed to say the least.

15 Likes

I am not going to try to convince you to like something you don’t want to like. But, I actually LIKE the “wall wart” chime idea. I spend much of my time in my basement (long story, don’t ask) and the only way I knew anyone was at my door was when the dogs went nuts. If I was watching TV there was no way I could hear the chimes in the hallway on the first floor. Moving the chimes or adding another to the circuit was not an option.

But now, I just placed the Wyze chime at the top of the basement stairs and even on the lowest volume setting I can hear them downstairs just fine. AND, when you add in the fact that you can have multiple chimes on a single doorbell, that gives you the option to place them around your house.

5 Likes

I was going to buy this as soon as I saw it offered, but without ringing the current door bell chime, it is a disappointing NO.

5 Likes

My Ring Peephole (battery) allows me to enter Live view manually. So does my Wyze Cam Outdoor. I do not see this option described??!!??

I rely on a SD card to house my recordings, especially since at times the Wyze servers are not connected. This device does not allow local storage, why? Ring also does not allow local storage, but I have yet to encounter a server problem with them. Maybe because they charge for the service so take it more seriously?

Lastly, as posted above, Ring supports alternative power by hardwire, solar panels, etc…

My Ring Doorbell 2 did crap out on me after 15 months. I was able to get a substantial discount coupon, but otherwise they were still the best Peephole option at the time. I hope that Wyze proves their external devices to be a competitive alternative.

3 Likes

No, the chime isn’t dependant on Wifi. The connection from the outside button/camera to the chime is in the 900Mhz wireless band not Wifi.

4 Likes

Somebody’s going to hook up a relay to that chime unit and drive the original 19V original doorbell chime(s) before very long…

4 Likes

Can you replace the existing door chime with an outlet? Then mount the “wall wart” there?

2 Likes

Sure but what problem does that solve?

2 Likes

That’s cool! Still don’t like that it can’t work with my chimes that are already installed and working.

1 Like

If I didn’t have a doorbell system in place, or had a crappy one now, then I’d be OK with the way Wyze deployed this product. But this isn’t the case. They should have thought this through and made it compatible with the current chime. Then they could have sold their chime as an add-on for those who really need it.

1 Like

What about a Sonoff Wifi relay triggered by Alexa or Google when the doorbell button is pressed? That should work.

1 Like

Anyone have info in how it may integrate with amazon/alexa?

Ring and some others are available to make an alexa announcement when they are activated. This works to give me notice in multiple rooms throughout the house. If this functionality will be available I’m sold for the preorder price.

Yes this this functionality will be available to make an alexa announcement when they are activated

Alexa announcements work great, I also like angus’ idea using a wifi sonoff relay, that might work. I don’t understand why people are so attached to their old technology.

1 Like

@Murph_ME
There has been a wish list item created for using existing chimes, please vote there to have your voice heard!!

1 Like

It really has surprised me how many people are upset about a doorbell chime.
I normally can’t hear mine because the dog is louder. :slightly_smiling_face:

2 Likes

It’s one of those old school infrastructure things in a house that most of us haven’t had to worry much about before. Just worked. Now we will have to deal with it like every other flakey electronic thing in this our modern world.

1 Like

I have a solution for the basement dweller using existing doorbell. I have the same problem but purchased a doorbell “extender”. It is essentially a 6" bar that is battery powered and lays on top of existing doorbell chime. It is sound activated…so anytime the doorbell rings, it will communicate (wifi or 900mhz?) to the extender and cause it to go off. The only drawback is it sometimes picks up loud noises nearby the existing doorbell chime and falsely sets the extended one off. Works great if your doorbell chime is upstairs and your bedroom is down, like mine! Costs <$50. Hampton-Bay-Wireless-Door-Bell-Extender-Kit is at Home Depot

1 Like

It surprised me as well. I was more or less indifferent about having to use the existing chime or the wyze chime. Having one of the user selectable chimes being an alarm sound seems interesting and tips the scale a bit towards the wyze chime for me. Like if I were to go on vacation I could maybe change the regular chime to a loud alarm when the door was opened (i’m speculating on how this works, not totally sure how the chime integrates with all the other products yet).