Video cam v3 sd card

What is the recommended class, speed and brand that is recommended?

Not official, but get Class 10. Any brand is fine — don’t pay for the brand name

Especially if you will be recording continuously (as I do on all 19 of my Wyze cameras), only buy High Endurance cards. They cost more, but they will last. Because there is a finite limit to write operations on solid state media, continuous recording WILL kill cards not intended for video service. Note, the high endurance cards will also be killed, but it take a lot longer.

2 Likes

I was looking at class 10 minimum, but there is a different in rated write speed between class 10 write of 10mb/s and higher priced cards at 60. So what speed can the v3 actually use? Will a $6 card work as well as a $12 one speed wise if both rated rugged, waterproof, uv resistance, etc. Or is the v3 already maxed out with a cheaper card? What are people actually using in their own units? Must be some beta people that know.

During beta, I used the Wyze branded card and it worked fine. I have used the $6 cards in my V2s and Pans and they work fine too. Definitely get the biggest size card supported (32gb)!

1 Like

FYI - you can find 32GB Class 10 cards from PNY, 3 for $15 on Amazon.

Just some perspective here. I am using standard class 10 32 gig cards, a mix of vendors, but none of the high endurance cards. When I switched to Eufy cams I moved the cards from Wyze cams to the Eufys. The newest card is now well over a year old and all my cameras both the remaining Wyze and the Eufy cameras are set to 24/7 SD card recording.

Not one single card failure yet, even on the two cards that are approaching 2 years old. I am sure they will fail sooner or later but I routinely pull video and scrub through the recordings so I know they are still working.

YMMV obviously but the regular SD cards work fine in my experience.

1 Like

Thank you. That’s the kind of information I was looking for.

1 Like

I have few of these that are 2 and a half years old

3 Likes

Yep I have some of those as well. Basically be careful of the fakes by choosing who you buy from. I avoid eBay like the plague for this type of purchase. I buy direct from Best Buy, Walmart (not a 3rd party reseller) and Amazon (also avoid 3rd party resellers).

2 Likes

Yeah have to be careful about that , I would never buy any from eBay
I make sure it ships from sold by Amazon
I use these in the Eufy cams

3 Likes

I’ve never had any problems out of a SanDisk or Samsung mSD card. I had one Wyze SD card completely die :skull_and_crossbones: with no response in a pc or my cam. It lasted little over a year and it’s currently RIP in my desk drawer.

2 Likes

there are probably one of the best endurance cards you can get quality wise at least ( as reflected in the price)

I love the couple I have running currently

and these are among the most common and successful endurance cards with Wyze cams. and are also reasonably priced.

5 Likes

I use these myself. Remember that a card that is 4x bigger (128 vs 32) will also have 4x the write endurance (as far as being able to write some total amount of data) just based on the virtue that it is 4x larger. That said, the 128 GB Samsung Pro Endurance cards are down to $28 now, and the 32s are only $9. When I grabbed my Evos the endurance were still much more expensive. I’ve had the Evos running 24x7 for 2 years at this point though and they still seem fine for whatever that’s worth. The bitrate on the Wyze cams isn’t super high so they’re lighter on actual write wear than other 1080p cameras.

1 Like