V3 on Solar + battery only

This is what I use, and it needs to be connected in series at the camera. This will check the power cable also.

It is about $30 on Amazon

My previous USB tester

Sells for less than $20 but doesn’t graph like the other does.

As an auto mechanic, I learned current is just as important as voltage. You could have a 12 gauge stranded wire with only one strand and you would read the same voltage at both ends of the wire. Put a load on the wire, the amps kick up, snd the voltage drops. So testing at the source (wall charger) does not check the complete circuit.

1 Like

There are nice ones, but they can be cost prohibitive for small setups.

That would be more than enough to power a camera

Hey guys, longest discussion ever on something that takes less time to do lol

I’m running my V3 on solar only & battery for almost a year without issue
1 x 20a Solar charge controller
1 x 30W 18V mono solar panel
1 x weatherproof enclosure
1 x 12v 7Ah Gel Battery( like alarm systems use)

Buy it, connect it, and enjoy,

4 Likes

How does that battery hold up over the course of 3 continuous overcast or rainy days? (Not that unusual in some areas of the country in the cooler months).

That 7AH battery can deliver 84 watt-hours of energy.
The V3 averages about 2 watts times 24 hours = 48 WH, so 84 WH will give you less than 1.75 days operation without sun. 2 of those batteries in parallel should get you through 3 days.

In my experience 4 days of reserves is not enough for my home (and a backup genset runs a few hours a year) but a webcam can probably tolerate being offline a few days a year.

He also forgot the 12v to 5v USB converter (cigarette lighter USB adapter would work)

Low Voltage landscape iighting wire can work remarkably well. If you can make sure you don’t have too much resistance in the line you can even use a 5v supply at a considerable distance. I’ve had a reliable configuration using a 5v supply and 100 ft of 16 gauge landscape lighting wire. The voltage at the camera end was still 4.6 volts and the Wysecam v3 worked well. The average wattage was between 1.4 and 1.7 amps b.t.w.

Here is my set-up. I am running 6 cameras, weather station, and a wireless router for internet. This is in an off grid application. I get about 2.5 days of battery life with everything running 24/7.

List of hardware:

• Rich Solar 170W panel
  • Rich Solar 20 AMP MPPT charge controller
  • EverStart deep cycle lead acid 12V battery, group size 27DC
  • Qty 4, Wyze V3 cameras
    *Qty 2, Wyze outdoor cameras
  • Tempest Weather station
  • 12V USB hub
  • Inseego Skyus 160 wireless router using Verizon service
  • All inside a Plano Sportsman’s Tote container
8 Likes

luckyone444 – is it possible to see your website with the cam views and the weather info?

Looks good, but I’d tilt the panel from level, toward the south at your latitude to gain watt-hours and shed dust & rain.

(If you’re say 39 North latitude, tilt the array about 39 degrees toward the south)

1 Like

I am only using the Wyze app to view the feeds, so nothing is public facing. I can share some video snippets though if that would help?

The panel does have a slight tilt to it right now, but the suggestion to give it more is a good one. I’ll have to adjust it more to take advantage. Thanks.

3 Likes

Beautiful country, it looks like colorado-

1 Like

You are correct, Colorado.

Right on man.
Even in shady conditions the 30 W panel should put out enough to operate the cam and recharge the battery. I am sure it does not draw 4 W continuously.
A guy on YouTube got 55 hrs out of a 20000mah power bank which is 100 wh or less than 2 watts per hour. The 7ah battery would be 12v x7ah = 84WH, but likely only half usable. But overpaneled at 30w at 12v so 360 wh per hour in full sun.
So 30 W 12v PV panel plus cheap own with USB 5v ports and 7ah battery should work very well~ unless Krakatoa erupts nearby!

Cheap pwm’s come with 5v USB outputs, and 30 W panel way overpaneled so should charge battery even overcast