V3 detection zones don't save

Am the only one who has to define the section area every time I switch on detection zones?

I go to settings and switch on a detection zone and it is all grey and I have to click each square in the grid to define the zone.

I then click "save"and the zone stays ok until I switch it off. The next time I switch it on all the grid is grey again and I have to define the zone again.

The zone is to stop trees triggering events on windy days but I switch it off when not needed because it seems to lower the sensitivity of movement in the zone. My cat is detected when the zone is off but not when it is on but there is no problem with people in the zone.

I have 8 V3s and they all behave the same.

I have turned off all my CamPlus detection and just use "other motion"events detection as I find the AI unreliable for my use - Very few people move through the zone but many different animals do and they all got tagged as “pets”

1 Like

I like the suggestion you have here to save the detection zone like this even when it is switched off. We can always reset/clear it if we want to start over.

1 Like

The reason it makes sense to me is that the trees stay in the same place so once set up I wouldn’t need to change the zone - just switch it on when it is windy.

Have you noticed any change in sensitivity when the zone is switched on or off?

1 Like

I have not paid close attention to the sensitivity when the zone is on or off.

I do know some time ago some people noticed a sudden change in sensitivity in general, but I did not really notice anything since I keep most of my cameras at 100% sensitivity since I have Cam Plus.

1 Like

Mine have always been at 100%.

They do seem less sensitive when the zone is switched on though.

I have a tablet with Tinycam showing the live feed and I often see my cat and various bits of wildlife walk across the tablet screen but no notification comes through and no event had been recorded. When the zone is switched off then they are recorded and I get a notification. My cat especially always walks the same path every day.

1 Like

I have never been able to see the detection zones on my v3 cameras do anything…not the slightest thing. Motion well within the zones is not only detected and notifications sent, but the green motion rectangle in the playback highlights the motion just as it does outside the bounds of the detection zones. What Wyze has done is provide a cosmetic but non-functional “feature.” If it’s not going to work after many, many months, why not just say “We’ve decided not to offer detection zones” and get rid of the fiction that they do anything? I’ve gone through many models and iterations of Wyze cams and currently have 12 v3s and 2 v2s. If I weren’t old and creaky, I’d just go through the pain of pulling Ethernet cable everywhere through the attic and buy a wired system.

2 Likes

I have V2’s. I save zones and exit to all settings and when I go back in and the zones have changed to random ones. Very annoying.

Even if they did work to only record events in selected ones, it would be nice to just let it continuously record everything yo the card, but only send notifications for motion in a selected zones. I have to turn notifications off and depend on my non-Wyze cameras to alert me. I could not depend on my Wyze cameras alone.

I recently purchased a V3 and have been comparing it side by side with my Yi Home camera. While I like the quality of the V3 at night (without night vision enabled) much better than the Yi cam, I find the V3’s motion detection much less reliable.

I set it to 100% but it does not see motion from a lot of animals such as squirrels or cats. At times, it will record this motion but it’s not consistent.