V3 Connectivity Issue's

Into the final phase of the test. Just added the sd card this morning. I did not do a “reformat”. Just used the card form the old V2. Hours into the test, the camera is still connected, and successfully getting notifications. This is strange how this has fixed it. Not really making much sense, but I will take it. I will return to this update if anything should change. Right now, I will be working on implementing the same fix to my other 2 V3 cameras hopefully with the same success.

Just a postscript on how I found this “V2 fix”

When my V3 arrived, I was too lazy to dig out the USB cable and wall wart from the box it came with. So I plugged it into the nearest USB port, which in my case is the USB port on my APC UPS.

Worked very well. Then I mounted it to where it should be. The connection problems started. By a process of elimination, I figured it must be the power.

Then someone who spent time measuring USB voltages posted that he finds that the V3 is very sensitive to USB voltages and that it’s causing it to lose connection.

Apparently, firmware .228 compensates for this USB voltage sensitivity.

1 Like

My v3 was working fine for the first few days, located outside, recording motion and sending notifications. This morning I noticed that it was disconnecting and reconnecting from WiFi and no longer recording motion. I could see the connection speed rise and then lower to zero every 10-20 seconds. Yesterday, the connection was stable enough to upgrade the firmware to the latest version (.228). I brought it inside to maximize the WiFi signal and turned off notifications. Seems to be more stable. Then connected it to one my rock solid v2s via the USB cable and attached my USB voltage/current tester. The v3 is drawing just under 5V and just under 1 amp. I’ll be checking my outside power run to see if there is any instability that could have led to the connection issues.

I did the upgrade with no correction to the issue. Connecting to the power on the back of the V2 so far has worked. Im not really sure why, because it is no longer connected to the V2, and it seems to still be working. I left it on the V2 for about a day. Been going on about 4 days without connecting to V2 and connection remains stable.

1 Like

The USB voltage sensitivity issue seems to be fixed with firmware .228. I had .225 when I experienced all of these problems.

Just read through this thread and I think my problem is the same as most here. I rec’d 1 V3 a couple days ago and have been playing with it and testing. Setup went well but half the times I open the app (iPhone or iPad) it takes time to connect to the camera. Other times, very quick to connect. Sometimes it looses connection while viewing the Live Stream or viewing the Playback. Very intermittent. I did plug in a 64GB SD card initially but replaced it with a 32GB after reading 32 is the largest card supported.

As far as I know it is still capturing events, even when it appears to not be connected through the app. Although I’ve had problems viewing several events from cloud storage as it shows a thumbnail of the event video but produces error code 6 and cannot retrieve the video. Probably a different problem from the camera intermittent connectivity…

Will continue to watch this thread - am hopeful someone will find a fix!

Same problem as most here - bought three v3 cameras and initially all three worked well. Several weeks later now all three have connection issues. Sometimes they go through the three step connection process in just a couple of seconds and everything works well. Other times the connection process gets stuck at either step 1, 2 or 3 until the camera goes offline from excessive retries. Even when it does connect the data rate starts falling and after a few seconds it goes to zero and the picture freezes. I’ve had a trouble ticket in to support for over two weeks and haven’t received any type of response. Today out of frustration I finally told them I want to return them under their warranty and be reimbursed. Now if they ignore me at least I can submit a complaint to my state attorney general. Maybe that will light a fire under them.

2 Likes

I have this exact issue

2 Likes

I have not been back on this forum in awhile because plugging the V3 into the back of the V2 oddly fixed my problem. Did any of you try this solution? I still don’t quite understand why this fixed my connectivity issues, but it completely did. I set up the V3 close to my wifi to start, then i moved them out to the garage where my V2 used to be and kept them plugged in to the back of the V2 USB for a day. Once i saw there were no connectivity issues, i plugged the V3 into the wall wart. Never had the issue again.

I was the first to suggest this and I explained before why this worked.

The earlier V3 firmware was very susceptible to voltage fluctuation that manifested itself as “connection” problem. The V2 output USB port has a very stable voltage. Newer V3 firmware versions seem to have fixed this voltage issue.

1 Like

Yes, def. Big credit to Ipil60R34s…I updated to the newer\st version and that did not fix my problem. I still had to plug it into the back of the V2.

1 Like

Some of us don’t have v2 cameras. Silly me to think Wyze would want to correct a problem that so many of us seem to be having and not depending on their customers to come up with a fix.

2 Likes

You can still test this, with a UPS with USB port, or a heavy-duty multi-port USB charger or a laptop, if you have any of these. In fact, that’s how I discovered this; I was too lazy to unpack the entire camera package and simply connected it to a nearby UPS.

It was when I moved the camera to its intended place that I got connection errors.

Well it killed our Christmas lights. Brand new. 3 sets. So the voltage fluctuation was a legit issue.

Have you power cycled / rebooted your router? In the screenshot your sd video format is zero.

Just a quick update… My initial V3 started working pretty well a few weeks ago so I bought 2 more and installed them. Things are working pretty well. Connection for live view is fairly quick on all 3. I can tell that connection process slows down when I have a lot of network congestion, but that’s not the camera’s fault I guess. Weirdly, I have 2 cameras on the latest F/W .248 and one on the previous .228. I guess .248 was recalled before I installed the last camera so it ended up with .228. Either way, I did not see any connectivity changes better or worse between the two F/W versions. I’m satisfied with how things are working now. I have no idea what made the difference…

Two of my V3s are also on .248. I don’t see problems so I don’t bother rolling them back.

It is not just your camera. Wyze has NOT mastered the WiFi situation yet. Check the forums, there are HUNDREDS of posts about various Wyze devices failing WiFi that must be powercycled. I mean, they could code in an option for automatic powercycling every 6 / 12 / 24 hours and that would be an improvement.

I am returning every single Wyze device that I own, that is still within the return period. My camera will lose connection after awhile, and must be powercycled. My thermostat is constantly losing connection, will not reconnect without a powercycle. Unfortunately I am stuck with the thermostat, but those cameras, all of them are going back this week.

I purchased them to view remotely. WTH do they think people want them for? If they have to be powercycled manually, um… that means I’m there, and I don’t need the camera.

I encourage everyone to just divest themselves of Wyze systems until they either include the option I mentioned above, or fix the connection issue WHICH THEY ALREADY KNOW ABOUT.

1 Like

The Wi-Fi connectivity as always been an issue with Wyze, but to be fair, they are not alone.

I am a systems installer in southern Oregon, and provide Smart Home installation and support to many in the area that love the idea of a smart home, but do not have the technical understanding needed to do so.

The very first thing I do, non-negotiable, is require an evaluation and, typically, an upgrade to their Wi-Fi architecture, before deploying any smart devices.

By doing so, we avoid 99% of the issues that most encounter.

Consumer grade Wi-Fi equipment is just not capable of providing reliable functionality and reliability for a smart home, nor was it designed to. If you populate your home with a dozen smart bulbs, a few cameras, firesticks, etc. on top of the 4 smart phones, iPads, laptops, etc., and are then surprised when you suddenly have connectivity issues, then you do not understand your equipments limits.

Most consumer grade Wi-Fi routers are designed to provide no more than 32 device connections. If you throw a few 4K streaming devices into the mix, then performance and reliability will suffer.

Please, do yourselves a huge favor, install a solid mesh network before you start, your experience will be worth every dollar spent!