V3 Cameras are forced not to save unless you give access to all your photos

If you take a picture or video from the live stream, or try to save an SD card recording, cloud clip or time lapse to your device, then the app has to ask for permission to save the item.

2 Likes

Sounds like you might be interested in a solution with more fine control over where the photos and videos end up. I have a few IP cameras setup on a local Synology server. Synology has some local software I can run called Surveillance Station to access and monitor the camera feeds. I can still see the photos and videos remotely (by connecting directly to my server at home), and it does alert me of movement, based on my settings. All the data (photos, videos, etc), are only saved on my local system, and never in the cloud or on someone else’s servers. The drawback is the large cost of the system, installation, management, etc, etc. If the Synology was only for camera stuff, there is no way I’d go that route. I enjoy the user experience with Wyze much more, and while I consider my Synology Surveillance system legacy it certainly has its place.

Your log # has been forwarded on. Thanks for providing it!

same issue meant when I bought the camera I could download the 12 seconds videos immediately to my photo files without a need to give Wyze access to my photo album, now they switched and demand access to photo files and all photos not even a selection, all of it!

1 Like

[mod edit: non sequitur due to merge] On your new issue, they have to ask permission to save to your photos album now. If there is a bug about not being able to do a subset, report it to Wyze using a log file. This is a user-to-user community.

There is another thread reporting the same issue (Camera seems to need access to all photos?).

To clarify, this is NOT an issue with the V3 cameras, just an issue with the app. I have both V2 and V3 cameras and could download photos from both cameras using IOS Wyze app versions prior to V2.20.142. Now, with IOS app V2.20.142 you cannot download photos from any cameras unless the “All photos” option is selected in the app settings.

1 Like

This is the issue when a company goes out of its way to intrude to people privacy. What is pissy is that they give the icon for selective photos but it does not work and you have to give them access to all your photos. This should be illegal. I salute Apple for limiting Facebook for such behavior and Wyze should sober up before the lawsuits come in as they did not require such intrusion when cameras were bought.

1 Like

I can see if you want to save photo, video there is a need to grant access.
But
However, many company abuses userzs privacy.

Google charged a senior credit card for free games even the senior has never given her credit card number to the game.
How did Google got her credit card number?

Google charge your credit card without number given

Both Android and iOS have to ask permission to do what you asked - to save a photo or clip. This is industry practice. Why do you think this case is unusual?

It is unusual because when I bought my five cameras I could download clips with one click, after a month they switched the version so that you have to give access to all your photos! The selection fir giving partial access does not work.

2 Likes

So if there is a bug about not being able to do a subset, report it to Wyze using a log file.

2 Likes

It’s not a freaking bug, it’s their way of getting access to your photo files and all your photos.

1 Like

Ok so if it’s not a bug, then thank you for bringing the permission change to light so that others know about the change in permission policies then. If you don’t agree with with this change, well no one is forcing you to continue using these products and the terms of service and policy’s in place that come along with them. I don’t like turning folks away from this ecosystem because I think it’s a good system, but I wish and hope more that folks get into something that suits their use case the best, weither that’s Wyze or not.

Looks like this all matches the android permissions now.

3 Likes

The issue to me is the unannounced and big change to a function that I have used and depended on.

And you are correct, of course, in telling us that we don’t have to use WYZE products. As someone who has purchased WYZE products
since early days, paid in advance to support WYZE’s ability to manufacture some of said products, and continues to wish WYZE success, I think I have earned the right to criticize decisions that I disagree with plus do not have to like or support them. And to be told directly by WYZE staff about the change in response to submitted logs/reports/questions about the change.
Instead I get deafening silence. To my knowledge WYZE has neither addressed this issue directly to camera owners experiencing the possible “bug” nor announced that this change is intentional.
Just tell me. I don’t want to walk away from a company I think I have a relationship with without a response from WYZE.

1 Like

This is a user-to-user forum and not a support site for Wyze. Wyze has a presence here, but not the support arm of Wyze. The best way to contact them is by phone at (206) 339-9646 Monday - Friday 5 am - 6 pm PT and Saturday 8 am - 4 pm PT.

1 Like

Thank you.

No I disagree. If you see an immoral approach by a company you should inform others and in particular the ones that have no clue that giving full access to their photo files can have consequences. Simply returning a product is not sufficient. You must let the public know. Just like you did not know and now you know. So returning the product is insufficient.

1 Like

It is not an unreported bug. I have been in direct contact with the company and they admit that they are demanding direct access to all your photos. This is not only immoral but borderline illegal. The only way it becomes legal is when you give them access in which case I am not.

1 Like

Do yourself a favor and delete some stress. Play the video, tap the share icon and email or message it to yourself where you can either save it to your phone or someplace else. Yeah it is a PIA but Wyze won’t have access to your photo album .

2 Likes

I re-read the process you followed. “Option 1” is not an option – it is step 1 of a procedure. So clicking on it will do nothing. Your actual options are “No thanks”, and “Go to Settings”.

If you choose Go to Settings, you are taken into the iOS settings for the app, where you can choose “Read & Write” or “Never”.

All of my apps on both my iOS 12 and iOS 13 devices have only those two choices, except one news app that has “Add Photos Only” (no videos) in place of “Read & Write”. None restrict access, although Wyze does create it’s own folder to save the files in.

The process is for the app to ask for permission to save to your photo library (not a sub folder) when you try to save a picture after you first install the app.

But then if you later go into iOS settings for the app, and turn photo access off, you get the different prompt you described, asking for the same permissions, but making you go o iOS settings to make the change yourself.

So from my vantage point, nothing has changed, not even a new bug or prompt. And I have no apps that operate differently, at least not on my iOS 12 or 13 devices.

2 Likes