V2 update 4.9.4.28 thread

Same here, two of my 4 v2 cameras updated and one went stupid on me, would not connect. Didi not get a fail to upgrade message, Indicated upgrade was successful and complete. Tried to access it right after and it would not connect. Rebooted iPhone and no change. Rebooted cam and no change initially. Was in the process of looking for instructions on how to reset to default and try again when it finally connected. Did not feel like it was a router issue since the other 3 V2 cams and one Pan-Tilt cam were working good. Got Error 27 code suggesting leave app. then reboot cam, then reboot wifi router… The other two V2 cams have not indicated a need for firmware upgrade as the first two did.

4 of the 5 V2s updated no problem. 5th one took several reboots. last reboot I left it unplugged for 10 minutes and working now.

My Wyze cams are located in my winter home so I can monitor things from my summer home 1,500 miles away. Any “fixes” that involve a physical presence don’t work for me. :frowning:

I was concerned about this same problem for my v2 cameras after the firmware update was installed. The cameras did connect but were suddenly very unreliable in connecting and staying connected ONLY while I was using my cellular data provider connection; WiFi worked fine. I tried multiple times unplugging and plugging them back in and the problem persisted. After 2-3 days, the cameras started working consistently again via cellular data connection. Not sure what happened but glad its fixed for me. I only update the firmware if my phone is physically on the same WiFi as the camera…too much that could go wrong otherwise…just my 2 cents.

For those that want to update remotely without being physically on the camera’s WiFi, I would consider getting a separate remote on/off switch such as a Wemo smart plug. It would practically be the same as you physically being there unplugging the camera and plugging it back in…just a thought for those using the camera(s) from a far.

Another more economical option for powering off the cameras and then back on from a far is a Sonoff Wifi switch. They are a lot cheaper than Wemo but require some technical know how in splicing the wire connection into them. This could be quite difficult to do with a micro USB cable given the smallness of the wires…so electrical creativity may be required.

I went to update by Wyze Cam V2 firmware to V4.9.4.28 because I was getting tired of it prompting me. It is no longer prompting me so I went into setting and Device Info and it is still running 4.9.3.64. I hit “check update” and it says firmware is up to date. Is this expected or am I missing something?

Because of the recent camera Livestream issues, Wyze decided to temporarily stop distributing that firmware. It will continue at a later date. :slight_smile:

1 Like

It’s available this morning. I went through the update and here’s my comments.

1 Like

The only issue I have been having is longer boot times of the cameras since the update, that’s about it.

Maybe so. I did read where others with issues after the server/new f/w mishap saying they let theirs sit for a long time, so after the upgrade, I shut mine down and just left mine unplugged for five minutes, plugged them in and set another five minute timer and there they were. What still gets me is why it was sooooo much faster if I upgraded with wifi turned off and used a cellular connection.

The app only initiates the firmware upgrade. Once initiated, the firmware upgrade process all takes place on the camera. The app unfortunately doesn’t always show the exact progress of the upgrade process, probably because the camera goes offline for a while during it. I feel the app firmware upgrade experience could be improved some here.

2 Likes

While I can agree with that, there was something significantly different when I did the upgrade with wifi turned off on my phone. My sample size of wifi ‘on’ updates was rather small (one) and it failed (not really, but said it did), the wifi ‘off’ were lightning fast by comparison and didn’t error out. So, if the app only initiates it and the camera takes it from there, the ‘progress’ needs help on both wifi ‘on’ and wifi ‘off’. Wifi ‘off’ (cellular) zipped right up to 27% and said it was successful. :+1:

Thanks, I’ll have to experiment with that after another F/W update is released. :slight_smile:

1 Like

I have 2 V2 cameras. Both show updated to 4.9.4.28, but one is stuck in a constant reboot cycle (the relay in it clicks about every 2-3 minutes) and shows error -90 in the app. It appears bricked. Been clicking like this for about 20 minutes.

You probably need to reflash the firmware:

https://support.wyzecam.com/hc/en-us/articles/360009490871-Camera-firmware-flashing-instructions

3 Likes

Loki,

Thanks!! That worked!!

2 Likes

I updated 7 V2 cameras. I went into device info to ensure they had decent wireless signal then tapped update. I noticed some cameras kind of chugged until about 25ish percent and bang, they were updated, others chugged up to 60-80 percent before they said they were updated. Some updated faster than others. In the end, they all updated fine and are working fine.

Monitoring the wireless signal from device info before/after update, I noticed a significant drop that the camera was reporting, before update one camera was reporting 93%, after update, 57%, this drop was consistent but not necessary as much for every camera. The drop remained after restarting. I never power-cycled any camera. About an hour, the signal strength climbed back to the range I was expecting.

Other than that, all seems well. I pass this along as simple observations.

I tried to update my v 2 cameras yesterday. The newer one was fine but the older one did not. I keep getting error 90. I submitted a help ticket but it says they can take 5 to 7 business days to respond. That is not acceptable. This isn’t the first time I have had this problem so I am very frustrated.

Hello @jdrum, I recommend that you check out this article HERE that should help you troubleshoot the error code.

https://support.wyzecam.com/hc/en-us/articles/360012903431-Connectivity-issues

Yeah I’ve tried all that.

Thanks,
Joanne

If that didn’t help then I would recommend you try doing a FACTORY RESET.

https://support.wyzecam.com/hc/en-us/articles/360014440692-Factory-reset