V2 rtsp feedback - other cameras drop on the network

The two things I’ve done is:

1. Use my router and the MAC address for each camera to assign a static IP address
  2. Use my NVR software to take a timelapse picture every 20 seconds for each camera

I then use a PowerShell script to create timelapse videos each morning for all my cameras.

This way the every 20 seconds keeps the camera alive, and I get a very good timelapse from all six cameras every morning uploaded to one of my YouTube channels.

1 Like

I have 2 x V2 cameras running on BI. One of them has been pretty rock steady for a month, but recently I noticed that BI can’t connect to it. What I need to do is “regenerate RTSP stream” and then BI will pick it up. This is happening on the V2v2, but not on the V2v1.

So the V2 Wyze cams have 2 versions, sensors are different. I don’t know how and/or IF this could make a difference in the way the RTSP stream is handles, but I presume it could since the sensors use different power and also likely have a different CPU “fingerprint”

I’m using BI5 btw, and also using FW 4.28.4.41 (beta?).

Regarding the FW, people are posting that they are using .48 FW for RTSP? Where is this? I checked the official RTSP post, and it’s not there, not labeled in any case. Also, I read somewhere that the RTSP FW is not in beta, but rather official.

Can someone point me to where this all is?

Thank you!

@teredactle You can find the RTSP FW in this support article here.

That’s v .41. There is another link lower “please test this”… Is that v .48??

I’m trying to find out for you. :+1:

I saw the post and replied to @StopICU33- I think I have that file stored on one of my drives from when I was testing RTSP on one of my cams. If you send me a private message with your email I will be glad to email it to you.

1 Like

Thanks @tomp, let’s see if that is in fact v .48 that is on the official site, if it is, I’ll just grab it from there. Of course, Wyze could do a little better in terms of having this documented … :slight_smile:

Do you know if there is a comparison between .41 and .48, features wise and test wise? Did you by any chance keep a log of something like this, would be great to have something like this.

Cheers

Sorry @teredactle - I did not keep a log. I was just seeing if I could make it work for casting to a a TV. Best of luck!

Anyone getting this to work well at all with Blue Iris?
I have 10 wifi cams (3 diff: 2 Samsung models + 1 Hikvision) scattered around that work fine.
Got my first Wyze v2 this week… NOT GOOD: if it connects at all, it drops off only a few seconds to a minute or so after it connects. Same problem with Android TinyCam. Oddly it works fine in the Wyze Cam app on Android so I suspect that app is not using RTSP.

@ArthurH please ask your team to simply publish the the way your app communicates so apps like BI, TinyCam, etc can use the cams properly. I have 15 Wyze Cams that are 100% useless right now.

thx

The apps don’t connect to the cameras via RTSP, they use the API or whatever it’s called, that’s pretty obvious.
Over the past 2 weeks, I’ve had considerable freezups on the 2 Wyzecams that I use with RTSP and BI5. This was rock solid for about a month before. I haven’t changed the firmware on these cameras. If I regenerate the URL (RTSP menu option) it fixes the feed to BI5… yes, I find this frustrating but the RTSP fw is not supported and is beta, so not much we can do here. To be fair, you shouldn’t purchase these cameras for using “with RTSP” as they are def not marketed for that.

Last night around 9:30/10:00 EST I had some major issues with the cameras working (not with RTSP) but with the actual apps (both IOS and Android). This doesn’t happen often, but when it happens, I believe it’s the Wyze end (servers, etc), and this is one of the reasons I would prefer to use RTSP streams internally.

My Pan Cam has been suffering all the drop outs and errors with 4.29.4.41 that we’re supposed to be fixed in beta2. So I tried beta2. After a lot of attempts to install it I found out something stuck it was 4.29.4.40 !! One bug fix earlier! Is the page describing beta2 out of date? Is the link to beta2 incorrect? Is there hope for fixing the rtsp problems?

I posted the same thing back a while, no attention from wyze on this topic. Also having constant dropouts as well. I don’t believe wyze has much priority on fixing the RTSP issues everyone is seeing. Maybe @UserCustomerGwen can ask the devs here, many posts on these dropouts issues with no resolution.

Personally I would like to use the usb port with a rj45 dongle and hard wire the camera. I wish wyze would make this possible, like they made firmware to turn the cam into a webcam, surely it’s possible. This would at least point away (or not) from wireless being the cause of these dropouts. It’s very frustrating to say the least.

This is why you guys should just open the API and let us bypass the RTSP.

API access is not a substitute for rtsp. Two different things, I’d be happy if rtsp option was moved from unsupported to supported and the bugs fixed. Neither RTSP or API will happen unless there is a business case.

Just saw this post. Can you explain why turning off HW decode supported by cpu would have any impact on the RTSP stream dropouts, etc? I don’t see how that could do anything except use more cpu on the BI server. Thanks

With the API we would be able to stream the video directly to HA or any other platform without having to use the rtsp protocol

Wyze appears to have there own protocol instead of rtsp. Open sourcing their protocol is not likely to be in their best interests, as I understand them. Its puts the burden on HA (for example) to decode/support yet another rtsp equivalent. A Lose Lose proposition.

Hey have you found a solution. I have the exact same problem. It worked for a few days but as I added a few Cam v2 to Synology… the whole things crashed and wifi dropouts were frequent. Can’t access the Cam v2 from Synology OR Wyze app.

As soon as I power off all RTSP devices, then my non RTSP devices work great on Wyze app (only when I disconnect the RTSP devices)

TinyCam uses Wyze protocol instead of RTSP; I doubt that Wyze gave the dev access to their proprietary protocol. It works quite well too. Maybe HA devs should speak to the dev from TinyCam (android app) if they are interested in supporting this camera. It would be a good idea I think.

1 Like

How do you know that tinycam is using Wyze’s protocol instead of rtsp?!