V2 looking out window - separate IR light reflection

With the V2’s IR Lights turned off, and outdoor mounted IR Lights, it must be reflected IR Light that comes back at the window and causes the reflection to be picked up slightly. (In attachment note the window blinds.) There is total darkness inside the room with the cam and outside it is for sure only the IR Lights. If they are off, total darkness.
Window glass is of course way too good at showing IR Light, which is why the V2’s IRs have to be off…
Any suggestions? Cutting down the tree is not an option.

1 Like

Spray paint the tree flat black?

1 Like

That’s a really weird reflection. I see the blinds, but I don’t see the camera. Do you have an invisible camera? Anyway, I had a similar problem with blinds reflecting, and I solved it with this:

2 Likes

Can you re-aim the IR light to the right or left? I have an IR flood that only orients up and down if you mount it one way, and only left and right if you mount it differently, but I find if you use a center screw you can get most any orientation you want.

1 Like

The photo posted was before I mounted “el camera” high on the window, and closer to the glass so the blinds could be down. Now you do see a ghost of the camera. Wize Black might show up less, but I did try tripled black garbage bags taped to the glass to keep it absolutely dark enclosing the camera, and while that might help indoor lights issues, indoor lights are not my issue. Tthe IRs reflecting off the tree (brightest part) get totally into the dang window glass anyway. Your box solution for indoor lights looks cool and crafty!

1 Like

I think with the two rows of 3 IR lights I might try the with a wedge of wood to mount too. Some variation of where the lights are aimed and where the V2 is aimed very well could make it better… Tomorrow, Friday the 29th is the day to buy a black V2 cam!

1 Like

Mick Jagger made the same suggestion. :wink:

1 Like

If the blinds are shining back from the outside, the box should still solve that as long as the camera is super close to the window and the box is large enough to block the reflection. But yeah, you may want to buy a black camera or color it black somehow so tht the camera itself doesn’t glare back.

Maybe you should show us a photo of what happens from the tree now, with your garbage bags behind it. As long as they’re covering enough of the window behind it and the camera kisses the glass, I don’t understand how you could see any reflection from the blinds. The camera itself, yes.

1 Like

Dang, that is a point. The garbage bag were only a temporary attempt and when I was trying that the white V2 right at the glass was the main reflection. Perhaps the blinds weren’t showing because - as you point out - how could they? It is only remote at this point, but when I’m physically back up there I can blacken the cam (or have a look at your box solution again - perhaps your box does cover the white showing at the front…) and surround it with a bunch of black (box or…) and perhaps solve it completely. Thanks!

1 Like

One other thing – is the light in the room on? Is it possible the light in the room is shining thru the blinds and reflecting off the window back to the cam?

1 Like

If the cam itself is reflecting back, the black box won’t solve that. You’ll need to color it black somehow or buy a black cover for it or buy a black camera (which is available today!)

1 Like