V2 beta firmware released - 4.9.1.60

Hi, we just had v2 beta firmware 4.9.1.60 released. This only applies to Wyze Cam v2 units. You will see firmware update only if you are in our beta program.

Changes include:

• Updated IQ to remove the green/lime tint

• Add noise reduction for background noise

Note:

Please help check following two issues too. The behavior will change together with IQ update.

• No motion alert once switching to night vision mode

• Unnecessary night vision switch in borderline lighting situation

Suggested test areas:

• Image quality in different lighting situation

• Check if most of the background noise is reduced

• The two issues mentioned in ‘note’ section

If you encounter issues, you can revert your firmware via https://www.wyzecam.com/forums/topic/flashing-your-wyzecam-v2-firmware/

Thanks!

In quick check, background noise does seem much quieter.

Upgrade fails for me.

Not sure if this is widespread or not. I haven’t tried resetting the camera until I heard if others had solutions.

App 1.3.107

Firmware 4.9.1.42

Android 7.1.1

Did it come back to the upgrade page like you never even tried? I’ve had this happen a few times and just tried again and it took the 2nd or 3rd try. I have no idea why this happens.

Wyze Cam v2 — Firmware 4.9.1.60 — Software 1.3.107; Android 6.0.1.

All cameras and cellphone are on the same 2.4 network. All cameras are set to Standard Def. All cameras have SD cards.

Image quality appears to have improved but still stutters on moving object (car in motion) on v2.

Latency problem still persists on v2 (approx 5 second delay). Sync time function does not fix the problem.

V2 Firmware 4.9.1.60 -IOS 1.3.104

Hi, image quality seems good, but I did not compare it to what it looked like before. I also received an alert for both normoal and night modes. No stuttering or latency, but I was on the same wifi 2.4 network. No observed glitches so far.

I’m assuming this update does not fix the 2-3 second choppy livestream on LTE.

jason

One of my cameras is making the clicking noise during the day now, previously it made the clicking noise at dusk and when someone would turn the light on in the room that it is pointed towards. It has something to do with going back and forth between night vision.

Image Quality and Noise seem greatly improved. Haven’t checked for any clicking yet

Did some compares between before and after, appears to have less noise, especially in a backyard with moving trees - less artifacts.

Checking the night vision in the garage, trying to simulate the dusk conditions in the dark garage. Checking motion too…

I did the update. Noise is way better.

Motion detection after auto switching to night mode worked.

I’ve tried about a dozen times… progress bar gets to 100% and then it says, “Upgrade failed.”

I finally tried uninstalling the app and resetting the camera and adding it back as a new device. No use. Still get upgrade failed.

Detects motion events, but still takes about 20 seconds for the notification to push to my phone.

App 1.3.107

Firmware 4.9.1.42

Android 7.1.1

In my case looks like video quality is much improved when there are background lights. I have my camera indoors, facing a window. Before, the window would wash out like half of the image, now i can clearly see the outline of the window while the interior is also well visible. thumbs up!

I’ll check how it behaves tonight in the dark.

Hi RickO, LikeWyze,

i am one of the customers with the severe green tint issue. Can I just download the firmware from this forum and update to my WyzeCam. I saw the instructions in uploading it and will follow it.

Thanks.

You can either revert to an earlier firmware using the firmware flashing instructions you have found here.

Or, you can join the beta to try the latest beta software. Instructions for joining beta are pinned post at the top of this beta forum.

LikeWyze, I don’t know how you did it, but the helicopter noise is almost eliminated. Great job!

I didn’t have high hopes for you being able to do what you did with a firmware update. At first, I thought you may have just implemented a digital squelch to cut audio when average sound level was below a threshold, but that doesn’t seem to be the case. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Squelch

There is still a large delay in the audio stream compared to the video stream, so something that makes noise (like the sound of the IR-Cut filter changing positions) follow the time they happened in the video by 5 or 6 seconds.

Before ungrading from 4.9.1.42 to 4.9.1.60 I did the following procedure, and did it again after the upgrade:

The v2 camera in the garage was on Auto (and in night mode).

I used the “record” feature on my Android Wyze app and waited a bit, then pressed “mode” button so it switched from auto in night mode to night mode. You can hear a small sound (the filter didn’t have to move), then waited about 10 seconds, and pressed the mode button again, this time forcing it into daylight mode. You will see the video change but you won’t hear the click until much later. Then I press the mode button again back to auto mode, and it switched back to night mode. Again you will notice the audio delay.

In the Wyze_v2_4.9.1.42.mp4 file you will hear the helicopter noise (turn up volume, but leave it same on both videos). What is interesting that I hadn’t noticed before is that immediately after the camera moves the IR-cut filter, the frequency of the sound slows down, it reminds me of an old one-cylinder engine that was running, then a load was put on it and it slowly recovers.

The Wyze_v2_4.9.1.60.mp4 file has the same test steps, but the noise is almost non-existent. You will hear the soft click when it tries to move the filter to the night mode but it is already in night mode, then the loud click when it switches from night mode to day mode, and then another loud click when it moves back to auto (but switches to night mode).

Great Job! Thank you.

All quite interesting. Good job!

After one night on the new firmware, the motion alerts are working. It’s just that now that’s it’s morning, night vision stays on (I have it set to auto)

UPDATE: Wyze Cam v2 — Firmware 4.9.1.60 — Software 1.3.113; Android 6.0.1

Image quality appears to have improved but still stutters on moving object (car in motion, person walking) on v2.

However, when you playback the video there is no stuttering. Video is smooth.

Hi RickO,

Thanks. What I was trying to ask was if I could download the firmware and manually update it as outlined in the steps below(refer link). I am not a part of the Beta program yet, however, want to try the new firmware for one of my cameras.

I did try the steps below without any success. While powering up the camera with the reset button on, the instructions mention I should wait for the solid light before releasing it. The Blue light never came on and the camera appeared to get into “Ready to Connect” mode. The camera then get into flashing yellow thereafter.

I will avoid manual upgrade if it is not recommended.

**********LikeWyze’s instructions for V2

This is for WyzeCam v2 testers only for now. Once v2 is shipped this will apply to all v2 users.

Here is the instruction: (different from v1 firmware)

1. Download a specific version of firmware, unzip it, put it on root directory of your SD card and rename it to ‘demo.bin’
  2. Power off your camera, insert your SD card
  3. Hold the setup button, plug in your USB cable, keep holding the setup button for 3-6 seconds
  4. Once the light is solid blue, release the button and wait for 3-4 minutes. The camera will reboot and change light status during this time.
  5. After it is done, your camera should be functioning with original setup. No need to re-setup your camera!

Attachments:
demo_4.9.0.80.zip
demo_4.9.1.12.zip
demo_4.9.1.34.zip
demo_4.9.1.42.zip
demo_4.9.1.60.zip

1 Like