V2.9 beta app release

Hi, Beta testers.

Today, we will release the 2.9 beta test app for both iOS and Android. You should receive this update within the next 24 hours due to the processing time with the app stores.

iOS version: 2.9.18

Android version: 2.9.20

RELEASE NOTES:

• Added support for Cloud AI Person Detection (available only to a portion of testers but we will add more testers as we can)

• Added support for hardware decoder for Android

• Fixed auto-unlock accuracy bugs

• Fixed a lock status accuracy bug on the Home tab

• Other bug fixes

SUGGESTED TEST AREAS:

• Hardware decoder (Android)

• Cloud AI accuracy (for those already whitelisted)

• Lock auto-unlock and status accuracy

KNOWN ISSUE:

• Zooming in/out of the live steam is not smooth on Android

Here is an FAQ about the cloud-based person detection we are now testing:

WHAT HAS BEEN CHANGED? HOW IS THIS DIFFERENT FROM THE PREVIOUS ON-EDGE SOLUTION?

XNOR’s solution is built for the CPU chip meaning that their person detection is run on edge. Our Wyze Cloud solution moves the detection operation from the Wyze Cam to our cloud (hosted in AWS).

DOES MY WYZE CAM SUPPORT CLOUD-BASED PERSON DETECTION?

With our new cloud-based solution, we were able to remove the limitation that prevented using person detection with Wyze Cam v1. The algorithm can be run on all Event videos sent to cloud from Wyze Cams v1, v2, and Pan.

CAN MY WYZE CAM SUPPORT CLOUD-BASED PERSON DETECTION AND COMPLETE MOTION CAPTURE AT THE SAME TIME?

At this stage, cloud-based person detection doesn’t support CMC videos due to some technical limitations. The Wyze AI team is actively working on the solution to this.

WHY DID WYZE CHOOSE TO USE THE CLOUD RATHER THAN USING ANOTHER ON-EDGE SOLUTION?

Compared with on-edge solutions, using the cloud means the computing resources are unlimited. This means that Wyze faces fewer limitations when designing AI features such as:

1. Better model performance
  2. Running different models at the same time
  3. Supporting a wider range of devices and services

Considering those benefits to users, we’ve decided to go with a cloud solution first. But at the same time, we have also kicked off the effort of building an on-edge solution.

HOW ARE THE CLOUD MODELS BUILT?

The cloud person detection models were designed and built completely by Wyze engineers and scientists. Our data exclusively comes from the feedback videos submitted by our awesome Wyze customers for training the algorithm.

HOW DOES THE PERSON DETECTION BETA TESTING WORK?

The entire 2.9 test cycle will be a beta testing phase for cloud-based person detection. Wyze will gradually roll out the person detection to specific users. This is to ensure that our servers can handle the additional load. Please be patient with us!

But, if you cannot wait to try out the feature, we totally understand! Send us a request to join the waitlist and we’ll process it as soon as possible.

Link to the waitlist:

https://airtable.com/shrocE5N5h0CnXcoT

SHOULD WE STILL SUBMIT VIDEOS FOR TRAINING?

Yes, please do! To make our models more accurate, Wyze needs to feed the algorithm with many kinds of videos. From past experiences, we found that some scenarios have increased chances for false results. Those scenarios include:

• Indoor cameras with complex backgrounds: e.g. living room
  • When an animal or pet enters the frame

So, in order to increase the diversity of the training dataset, you can help us by submitting different kinds of videos.

I TURNED ON MY PERSON DETECTION SWITCH, BUT I DIDN’T SEE THE PERSON ICON ON MY EVENT PAGE. WHAT SHOULD I DO?

Right now in the testing stage, there is an up to 1-hour delay after you change the status of the switch.

DID WYZE WORK WITH OTHER 3RD PARTY PARTNERS THIS TIME?

No, this time the solution is built in-house completely.

PRIVACY AND SECURITY CONCERNS

Q: Does the cloud-based person detection make copies of my videos?

A: No, that isn’t necessary for the person detection to function. After a video clip is uploaded to the cloud, the model will be run against the uploaded video to check for a person. The model reads the video frames and gives the detection results for each frame. During the process, there is no need to make a copy.

Q: Does cloud-based person detection save any personal information or features?

A: No, the cloud-based person detection only runs models to detect a person’s existence. It won’t save any information that can be used to identify a specific person.

Q: Who has access to the videos during the training process?

A: Voluntarily submitted videos can only be accessed by a team of Wyze employees who annotate the data. All of the employees have signed an NDA to keep the data secure. These videos are not viewed or shared with any other Wyze employees. Physically, Wyze also limits access to the data inside the Wyze office and it is only accessed by managed machines.

Q: What should I do if I see a large portion of false detection videos?

A: Wyze is continuously working to fine-tune the model. If many of your videos have incorrect results,

• try to adjust the angle of the camera to keep it as horizontal as possible
  • try moving the camera so it is not looking through glass or a window screen
  • check for an app or firmware update

And last but not least, send the video to us using the feedback button.

Q: What happened with the training data sent to XNOR?

A: XNOR destroyed the training data they previously had access to.

Q: Are the videos encrypted while stored by Wyze?

A: The videos are encrypted during transit.

7 Likes

I see the option for person detection on mine. But I do have the CMC subscription. I have a couple of new cameras I have not yet signed up to CMC. Could I use Ai person detection on just these Cameras? My initial thought is yes, but was curious if I might have to cancel cmc subscription on my cams to test Person detection. I see the option there so I want to take advantage of the beta testing honor if possible.

Also, does everyone see the option for Person Detection in the Beta Version? Or is it just seen by those who are actually beta testing?

Lastly, I noticed a new notifications area! (I just updated after a few weeks without- so this may be old). That is amazing and so welcome!! Thank you!!!

One feature I truly enjoyed about the XNOR solution was the notifications were very quick. I am assuming that since Person Detection now runs in the cloud the Person notifications will be at least as delayed as current motion notifications if not more so?

I see in the release notes that you are separately pursuing an on edge solution. Hopefully that will bear fruit sooner rather than later.

In the interim since you are using a cloud based solution with the expanded resources that enables, Will we see more types of detection in addition to person? Such as say, Vehicle, Cat or Dog or other wild life, or even possibly some form of facial recognition?

2 Likes

I did not mean to address my reply to you, my apologies. I thought I had relied to the thread.

1 Like

I am dismayed to learn that you are processing unencrypted video in the cloud. I had assumed that once the video left the camera it was encrypted. In the past, had asked if people at Wyze were able to see our video streams, and I never got a good answer. Now it is clear that unencrypted video is in the cloud, and although AWS is probably very secure, a rogue employee could see it all. This does not make me comfortable.

1 Like

Is there a way to know if/when we have been whitelisted? I see where it will let me turn it on, does that mean I’m whitelisted? It been over an hour and still no person detection showing up under events.

Yes. You have it.

1 Like

Thanks for that. I guess that answers one of my questions as well.

1 Like

I agree. I’m the type of person that used to walk around my house unclothed. I definitely don’t now with Wyze cameras.

1 Like

No issue. I’ve done it I’m sure as well. :slight_smile:

1 Like

i don’t think there is much speed issue
for edge, local detection then send to cloud then u get notice. obviously u will not get noticed untill the video is uploaded completely.

cloud version, the detection happens at cloud and then send notice, it could be faster to get notice

I didn’t believe you guys could get this done, and this fast…
Waiting to check it out

1 Like

It would be nice but person detection will add time to the process even if it’s small. As we are all familiar with there are often delays associated with the AWS cloud processing of the uploaded videos. I don’t know if the delays are on Wyze’s side or Amazons but my notifications on a single camera are usually 20 seconds after the event. That delay can and has stretched much further.

1 Like

my notification can delay 4 a few minutes, not sure why

theoretical aws should be much faster than the tiny camera

You would think so, but all off camera processing is by its very nature post processing. It will be interesting to see how it affects notifications.

1 Like

Dear beta testers,
We identified a bug that removes the “feedback” button for AI videos from the app. For now, please just test the functionality. We are working on this issue and will fix it ASAP. Thank you.

4 Likes

I have definitely had person detection on, and even turned my status to away to see if person detection has been triggered, and nothing all day. Is it supposed to be working already? As I mentioned, I have CMC that I could temporarily cancel for beta testing this, but didn’t receive a response.

CMC is not currently compatible with either person detection.

If you are one of the testers you will need to turn off CMC for any camera you are testing person detection on.

2 Likes