V1 is now EOL

Whole words are better than minced ones. @nobody has planted their flag. :slight_smile:

/edit

Someone complained that I’m mixing metaphors. :roll_eyes: Ok…

@nobody sent back his salad in favor of the vegetable plate.

:slight_smile:

Agreed. I am so grateful that I found the V1 back then. I could go on for an hour about how much they have helped me and my family.

My Complaint is that Wyze didn’t give notice a year ago. It’s February 1st and I just now noticed this posting that the V1 Cam is no longer supported.
This has also happened to other products that I purchased like the V1 Contact Sensors, and the V1 Motion detectors. I got stuck with 6 Sensors, and 3 motions detectors that Wyse just pulled out on. I also now found out that if the battery goes dead on the units they are bricked. not happy…

Now that its EOL, any chance of opening functionality to allow for homebrew efforts? Would love to explore options that do not require Wyze server side support

1 Like

I am not upset about the EOL, I am mad about less than a weeks notice. I am guessing there is a current security issue that is requiring this so EOLing the device makes the lawyers happy.

They said up to a year of support after a date is estimated. So yes, it’s in that range of zero to 365 days but remember this with future devices. They’ll just pull the plug with little to no notice. I like Wyze but this should scare every customer and future customer. I won’t be suggesting their products for a while.

Count me unhappy. Support a reasonable EOL.

The original fixed-view V1s still work, including with the new Cam Plus Lite. Due to hardware constraints, they just can’t be updated to a reasonable security level. So EOL is mostly just an acknowledgement that they can’t be updated further, not a shutdown.

They haven’t been updated in 2 years due to these hardware constraints.

2 Likes

So announce it 2 years ago. Estimated, 4th quarter 2021. They announced nothing then EOL. Many people understand that updates will end, but give people time to make plans. I would rather be told it might come to an end in the next 3 to 9 months, then that keeps adjusting. Instead we learn it’s done in less than a week.

False end of security updates is better than real, ends in 6 days. Fumble by Wyze, let’s hope they do better next time.

“They haven’t been updated in 2 years due to these hardware constraints.”

Two year old software is insecure. Frequently a month old has multiple CVEs.

Knowing that, shouldn’t you have discontinued use 2 years ago

I am quoting another user. How was I informed 2 years ago of the lack of updates?

My point is, if they knew, let us know. If they didn’t, shame but say that. 6 days is not right. Within their “contract”, yes but not right.

As I said, I really like Wyze, but this is not how you treat customers. I am not saying they should give 2 years but at least start warning people if you know you have issues with the hardware. 6 days is inexcusable.

Edit: I like your username

Please read my comments. I never said I expected anything 2 years ago. I only said 6 days is way too short. I was quoting what someone else said with 2 years of no updates. They realized up to two years ago that they could no longer update the hardware. If so, at some point between 2 years and more than 6 days ago they could have warned users. 1 month? 3 months?

(post deleted by author)

I read it. You said they should have notified you before they knew.

They knew just 6 days ago? If so then I think customers should look elsewhere. Best we hope they got unlucky. Worst they are incompetent.

The comments about 2 years ago was in reference to another user saying they haven’t been able to update since then due to hardware constraints. If they knew that then they could have warned users more that 6 days ago.

1 Like

Guys… really? You spent $20 on cameras 5 years ago. They will continue to work with multiple free services. What is your specific complaint or concern?

People spend $800 on cell phones that stop getting updates after a year. I bought a competing brand camera that apparently gets zero updates ever.

What is so scary about the letters EOL?

If Wyze or anyone else discloses a real threat to the V1s, then you can just stop using them. If it were me I would continue to use it happily until that happened.

2 Likes

Mod Note: A few posts here have been skirting the edge of our Community Guidelines . This is a gentle reminder to please keep your posts focused on the subject matter and not on the person making the comment. No moderation action has been taken yet, but please remember:

Sometimes We Disagree And That’s Okay

Sometimes we will disagree on topics. You may even think that the other person is outright wrong! That’s just part of being human talking to other humans. But when you respond, remember to criticize ideas, not people . Please avoid:

• Name-calling
  • Ad hominem attacks (personal attacks instead of discussing content of a post)
  • Responding to a post’s tone instead of its actual content
  • Knee-jerk contradiction

Instead, provide reasoned counter-arguments that focus on the ideas instead of the person. If someone has something negative to say about Wyze or our products, there’s likely a reason for that. Just tag in a mod or admin to make sure that the feedback goes where it needs to and we have an opportunity to consider and respond to what they’re saying.

Thanks all!

4 Likes

I fully understand eol for tech products cannot be indefinite. I’m a bit disappointed to see it being only 5 yrs, which hopefully is not sending a message about the future of all wyze devices. However I can see there may be limits of certain hardware that prevents ability to handle new firmware code.

It would be nice to see them continue via open source developers. Certainly the hardware is still more than enough for many users. I have extended the life of many PCs unable to upgrade to the latest windows by switching to Linux - currently got one 12 yr old on Linux as a homebridge server to bring some wyze devices into iOS home. Wyze could certainly open the old devices for the open source community to take over.

What happens to the wyze sensors that use the bridge that’s connected to the v1 cams?

As far as I know (I don’t have a V1 cam), they continue to work the same as the V1 cam. If for some reason they don’t, a V2 can also host the old Bridge, or if you have the new Hub, then it can host all the V1 sensors.

I have the v3 and it doesnt look like the v3 has connections for the bridge