V1 is now EOL

Guys… really? You spent $20 on cameras 5 years ago. They will continue to work with multiple free services. What is your specific complaint or concern?

People spend $800 on cell phones that stop getting updates after a year. I bought a competing brand camera that apparently gets zero updates ever.

What is so scary about the letters EOL?

If Wyze or anyone else discloses a real threat to the V1s, then you can just stop using them. If it were me I would continue to use it happily until that happened.

2 Likes

Mod Note: A few posts here have been skirting the edge of our Community Guidelines . This is a gentle reminder to please keep your posts focused on the subject matter and not on the person making the comment. No moderation action has been taken yet, but please remember:

Sometimes We Disagree And That’s Okay

Sometimes we will disagree on topics. You may even think that the other person is outright wrong! That’s just part of being human talking to other humans. But when you respond, remember to criticize ideas, not people . Please avoid:

• Name-calling
  • Ad hominem attacks (personal attacks instead of discussing content of a post)
  • Responding to a post’s tone instead of its actual content
  • Knee-jerk contradiction

Instead, provide reasoned counter-arguments that focus on the ideas instead of the person. If someone has something negative to say about Wyze or our products, there’s likely a reason for that. Just tag in a mod or admin to make sure that the feedback goes where it needs to and we have an opportunity to consider and respond to what they’re saying.

Thanks all!

4 Likes

I fully understand eol for tech products cannot be indefinite. I’m a bit disappointed to see it being only 5 yrs, which hopefully is not sending a message about the future of all wyze devices. However I can see there may be limits of certain hardware that prevents ability to handle new firmware code.

It would be nice to see them continue via open source developers. Certainly the hardware is still more than enough for many users. I have extended the life of many PCs unable to upgrade to the latest windows by switching to Linux - currently got one 12 yr old on Linux as a homebridge server to bring some wyze devices into iOS home. Wyze could certainly open the old devices for the open source community to take over.

What happens to the wyze sensors that use the bridge that’s connected to the v1 cams?

As far as I know (I don’t have a V1 cam), they continue to work the same as the V1 cam. If for some reason they don’t, a V2 can also host the old Bridge, or if you have the new Hub, then it can host all the V1 sensors.

I have the v3 and it doesnt look like the v3 has connections for the bridge

No, they introduced the Hub around that time. Since the Hub replaces the Bridge, they didn’t add the USB port on the back of the V3.

But the V1 should continue to work, so its Bridge should too. They just aren’t making new versions of firmware for the camera.

1 Like

Haha, is that supposed to be different that what they’ve (not) been doing in the past? :laughing:

I know it’s an old thread. I just found that line funny.

1 Like

It’s not just funny, it’s actually the smoking gun. They knew that there was an exploit at the time they wrote that. They weren’t declining to patch “new security vulnerabilities” found by active monitoring. They were secretly refusing to patch a known 3 year old vulnerability. It’s the only part of their actions that was indisputably wrong.

3 Likes

Probably should have said: The use of the V1 has always been at risk and since it’s not able to be patched, we really should have discouraged its use 3 years ago when the exploit was discovered… we bad! But, hey, our devotees love us anyway!

3 Likes

There is a lot of contradiction in Wyze’s statements.

This is from their End-of-Life Policy.

• When determining the FDOS, Wyze will typically seek to allow for the following legacy support periods:
    • Up to one (1) year of continued warranty support from the EOL notice date for any Product that is covered by the Wyze Limited Warranty at such time (in accordance with the Wyze Return Policy and Limited Warranty Terms).
    • One (1) year of continued offering and support of subscription services.
    • One (1) year of bug fixes, maintenance releases, workarounds or patches for critical bugs, as determined by Wyze in its sole discretion, from the EOL notice date. Wyze customers may be required to install newer software versions to receive any of the above continued software support.

I guess Wyze hasn’t determined this to be a critical bug.

I am consistent in thinking they owe us nothing in the way of updates. My impression is Wyze produces updates more frequently than many others do. Other more expensive products never get updates and we live with it. So it is strange they sat on this so long. The non-disclosure is what’s concerning as well as the extremely misleading quote cited above.

The only workaround or patch, that makes sense, for the critical bug on the V1 cameras, is a patched V2 camera.

It’s a stupidly worded policy that can’t be followed without replacing hardware.

2 Likes

IMHO- The volumes of updates are because wyze pushes out beta products/firmware so there is a constant stream of fixes. Sometimes they add cloud based features or tweak a hardware based feature to try to squeeze out some reliability or whatever - everything requires more firmware patches. Meanwhile much of the hardware is cut very lean so there is only so much space for code. I’m guess the V1 capacity for added code was at the end of the line so only option was to orphan it. I’m not a programmer or hardware engineer, it’s just how it appears to me. Meanwhile, there is no excuse for sitting on any type of security flaw for 3 years regardless of how minor or how difficult it may be to achieve. Living in SoFlo, I’m more aware than ever at many bad actors there are who will take advantage of anything and everything.

2 Likes

You think SoFlo is bad, SoCal is lousy with 'em.

1 Like

Not sure if anyone has had the same experience as me. My V1s continued to work flawlessly until I recently swapped routers (same settings, confirmed 2.4g, etc). Prior to cloning the old network, I initially pressed the reset button on one cam and found it can’t complete setup. The router sees the incoming request and assigns an IP but setup still fails to complete. Yes Wyze, the router shows you that stuff so I can see the WiFi chip is still fine.

My hunch is Wyze added script into either the last firmware update to this camera or the app itself just before they ended support to prevent setup completion. They ironically hadn’t released a firmware update for almost a year but decided to update these a week before they killed support which is…odd.

My recommendation. Be careful on changing networking hardware. This feels like a push to get me to buy another camera when my V1 was fine. After the hacking incident and backtracking on recognition, I won’t be purchasing more of any model from them. Too bad.

Good luck out there.

1 Like

It seems it doesn’t take a network devices change to disable cam v1. Mine automatically stopped working (offline) about 2 weeks ago, like around early June. There was reboot of it (due to power outage from thunderstorm). Previously, it always came back alive. I didn’t change anything so I think that would be the only reason. My other v3’s did come back fine.

I use that v1 for indoor in garage to ensure garage door is closed (lol) so I don’t really have security or privacy concerns. Is there a way to revive that v1 for my use case?

1 Like

Yes, it’s reportedly unintended and they’re working on it.

2 Likes

Absolutely I’m dealing with that now same senario with interestingly enough cam outdoor. I guess these cameras have an expiration date the company forgot to let us know about. We are lucky however to have v1 cams that function as everything is glitchy I do love the messages always telling us it’s our network bla bla bla. I’ve power cycled until I’m blue in the face. Hey Wyze ever hear of REFRESH? What you need to do Wyze is spend a few more coins for decent antennas on these bricks. You wouldn’t have to write in to the cameras the unstable network lie. I’ve seen your antennas….not the best quality by far.

1 Like

I wonder what the lie span, I mean lifespan is for my V2 cams. :thinking:

1 Like