Using Wyze Vaccuum on Different Floors (top/basement)

Hey @UserCustomerGwen @WyzeAndy I want to know about how moving my wyze vaccuum between my ground floor and basement will affect mapping. Is there a good way to do this?

2 Likes

They’re working on adding mult-floor mapping, but it’s not active yet.

I have a ground floor and basement too. The base/charger is on my ground floor. When I want to vacuum the basement, I just pick up the vacuum, carry it downstairs and then activate it down there. It erases the upstairs map and just starts cleaning and figures out a new map for downstairs. It’s no big deal at all. Then when it finishes, I bring it back upstairs and place it on the charger (or in the same room as the charger and tell it to go home and charge, and it figures it out). Then when I tell it to clean upstairs, it just erases the basement map and redoes everything for the ground floor.

Works great actually, it’s no big deal at all that it starts over the for the map every time unless you really want to be able to keep “virtual walls” and blocked areas, or keep room names (to be able to tell it to just go clean a single room, instead of the entire floor). Other than those few issues, it’s really no big deal to keep losing the map…and they should be allowing multi-level mapping in the future.

2 Likes

Thanks for sharing your process. I guess the big hiccup for the Wyze team (cc: @UserCustomerGwen) is the ability to save maps for the future. This is so that when I move it downstairs I can let the vacuum know that it is downstairs. I also wish we could purchase additional homes/chargers so the vacuum can always find a home. The charger would have to be cheap so folks could place them around the home.

4 Likes

That’s a cool idea. they should look into testing that out after they finish getting the saving of multiple floor maps stuff programmed. I would possibly get a second one for my basement if it wasn’t too expensive.

Thank you for this. We’re in a skinny rowhouse with four floors, each fairly small, and we don’t want to buy four devices.
What exactly does having a map do, anyway? Does the device clean more efficiently if it’s working from a map?

1 Like

This map that it started to make of one of my floors (well, half of one of my floors, since the ramp I made wasn’t in place during this cleaning) will help with my explanation:

You can see the white lines of it moving around the boundaries of the house to figure out the layout (green lines showing obstacles and walls) from the LIDAR. Once it knows the layout of the house, it will try to plan the best way to clean (as it started to do in the room on the bottom left). That way it isn’t just bouncing around randomly like some other vacuums do. Those other vacuums sometimes miss a bunch of spots, or run over the same spot multiple times while trying to figure it out. The map helps it to know where it has already cleaned and where it still needs to go clean. So, if there is no map, it will build a map to make sure it gets all the areas it can reach without wasting a bunch of time cleaning the same spot repeatedly, then the final cleaning area will be full of white lines like this:

But for me, it’s really no big deal if it has to make a new map every single time I switch to a different floor, it’s still a ton more effective than all the randomized bump and go RoboVacs that have no clue where they are or if they’ve cleaned that spot yet, you know?

The main benefits of having a SAVED map is that you can add lines onto the map to tell it not to vacuum in a certain area (maybe where there are cords laying around or something), or you can easily tell the vacuum to just go vacuum a single room area where something spilled, instead of doing the entire floor.

But for many of us, it’s no big deal if it has to re-map everytime it cleans (it’s really not a big deal if sometimes it has to scout the boundaries first then finish cleaning afterward…I mean, it cleans all the boundaries while it’s mapping anyway, so it was already going to clean there at some time, who cares if it maps at the same time). As long as it gets the job done well, that’s all that really matters to me.

1 Like

Thanks very much for your clear explanation.

Luis Granados 202-460-1270 cell

| carverofchoice
January 10 |

• | - |

This map that it started to make of one of my floors (well, half of one of my floors, since the ramp I made wasn’t in place during this cleaning) will help with my explanation:

You can see the white lines of it moving around the boundaries of the house to figure out the layout (green lines showing obstacles and walls) from the LIDAR. Once it knows the layout of the house, it will try to plan the best way to clean (as it started to do in the room on the bottom left). That way it isn’t just bouncing around randomly like some other vacuums do. Those other vacuums sometimes miss a bunch of spots, or run over the same spot multiple times while trying to figure it out. The map helps it to know where it has already cleaned and where it still needs to go clean. So, if there is no map, it will build a map to make sure it gets all the areas it can reach without wasting a bunch of time cleaning the same spot repeatedly, then the final cleaning area will be full of white lines like this:

But for me, it’s really no big deal if it has to make a new map every single time I switch to a different floor, it’s still a ton more effective than all the randomized bump and go RoboVacs that have no clue where they are or if they’ve cleaned that spot yet, you know?

The main benefits of having a SAVED map is that you can add lines onto the map to tell it not to vacuum in a certain area (maybe where there are cords laying around or something), or you can easily tell the vacuum to just go vacuum a single room area where something spilled, instead of doing the entire floor.

But for many of us, it’s no big deal if it has to re-map everytime it cleans (it’s really not a big deal if sometimes it has to scout the boundaries first then finish cleaning afterward…I mean, it cleans all the boundaries while it’s mapping anyway, so it was already going to clean there at some time, who cares if it maps at the same time). As long as it gets the job done well, that’s all that really matters to me.

1 Like

Oh man, I just goofed and erased my entire first floor map with virtual walls and all. Bummer, I thought that I was missing something in setting up the vacuum for the upstairs. I hope Wyze will come up with something soon.

Multi floor mapping would be great to have. The vaccum just deletes the maps so its not of much use for a multi floor house (which is practically 90% of the single family or townhomes) since we cannot choose rooms and spots from saved maps to clean.

1 Like

Yup, can’t wait to be able to save floor mappings. Right now, I have to move my old Roomba to other floors. I understand it won’t have automated docking on other floors, but just would be nice to pick it up, drop it off, and in the app, tell it to clean rooms X&Y on the 3rd floor.

3 Likes

Definitely need multi floor mapping. We live in a 2 story home and yes you can erase it and have it re map every time but that takes time and sometimes by the time it maps and then vacuums there is not enough battery left to do it all at once. Also it deletes your virtual walls/rooms which is actually quite important if you have objects it constantly gets stuck on or you want to clean specific rooms. I haven’t heard if this is an official feature they are working on, but I hope so.

2 Likes

Different floors would be great if it could save the maps! If possible it’d be great if you could by additional charging stations and the Vac could identify each one and automatically know which map to use. I’d hate to have to buy one for each floor, but considering it!

2 Likes

I have several areas that I wall off on each floor so it would be great to have the ability for multiple floors or I have to let it map first, wall off, and then clean. That’s the one thing I’m waiting for!

I can’t believe its been almost 2 months, and no updates on this. This would bump the vacuum from great to amazing.

1 Like

Wish I had come here to see what would happen BEFORE carrying my vac upstairs and starting it. I guess when it’s done I’m going to have to redo my main floor map, room names, and schedules. Bummer.

Update: Well, it didn’t wipe out my main floor map. It ran around upstairs for a while, got stuck a couple of times, got disoriented, ended the job and said it was heading back to charge. I picked it up when it got the stairs and set it back down near the base and pushed the home button and it docked. So while it didn’t erase my main floor map, it didn’t clean the upstairs properly either. Guess I’ll patiently await more software updates…

You would need to erase the map manually if you move it to another floor or it’ll try using the old map. I’m hoping they add this soon,

Any update on multi-floor mapping?

Apparently not…

1 Like

Bumping this so it doesn’t get closed, this was a feature that was promised when the vacuum was on pre-order and listed as coming soon with a software update with no updates from Wyze almost 5 months later.
@UserCustomerGwen @WyzeAndy

2 Likes

Any day now.