Use 'invisible' 940nm IR LEDs so the IR lights don't glow red

It’s not possible to use the cameras in night vision mode without being detected because the IR LEDs are 850nm and therefore have a faint, but visible, red glow to them. NOT very discrete. I realize the 940nm may not offer the same distance of illumination, but for those who need discrete monitoring, that’s OK. Maybe offer it as an option?

1 Like

The wyze cam pan has invisible LED so yeah, we know it is possible to have invisible LED. I predict that the wyze cam V3 would have invisible LED.

I should have noticed that. I have the cam pan as well and didn’t think about it. I guess because the glow isn’t there I don’t see it. LOL

2 Likes

I was going to request the 940nM LED’s also but searched here first. I hope this does become available. My question now is in the mean time, will the V2 work with a stand alone 940nM emitter? Searching the web it seem that cameras designed for 850nM will not work or at least not work well with 940nM LEDs. Has anyone tested this before I go to the expense and effort?

I’m using the Univivi IR Illuminator 90 Degree Wide Angle 8-LEDs IR Infrared Light (found on amazon) with 850nm infrared light to help out my v2. It does glow red. I’m not too concerned with the lights glowing. It’s somewhat of a subtle “smile, you’re on camera” message. This has helped my V2 a LOT at night. Excuse the pun but the difference is… night and day. I haven’t tried a 940nm with the V2 yet, though. So while I didn’t exactly answer your question, maybe you’ll consider 850nm for your v2 if you don’t care about the little red glow.

The remote is a good idea at least in bugville where I live but you would need to be able to toggle off the cam ir light. Can you do that now? Also agree with using the black ir’s.

If you are into modding you could remove the ir LEDs & connect a fet & relay to switch on the external panel light on motion, would also make it switchable in app

My spouse says the cameras infrared lights are not visible when they clearly are to me.

While listening to a podcast yesterday I learned that people who have had the lenses in their eyes replaced (like me) are able to see colors that are not visible to ordinary humans. Go figure.

So…you have super powers? Awesome

Using a separate IR light from my v2 has drastically cut down the amount of bugs (I live in FL) I get flying at the camera all night, triggering events.

Nope. No super powers. But no cataracts any longer either.

I guess that’s almost as good

I can’t have any glow that would give away the fact I have the cameras.

1 Like

That is why I asked my original question. According to my online research cameras designed to work with 850 do not work well with 940 IR’s. So I would still like to know before ordering the 940’s if they will in fact work well. I may have to be the guinea-pig myself to find out.

I have had no eye modifications other than getting older, but I can definitely see the 4 IR LEDs when it it dark and they are on.

1 Like

The image sensor is capable of detecting 940nm, it just doesn’t do that as well as 850nm. If you were to look at a few different datasheets for standard image sensors, including spectral response charts, you will notice a general trend in that they all have the greatest ability in visible light, and the higher IR wavelengths that can’t be seen are in a region where the sensor’s ability begins to taper off in a gradual descent. Of course, the lens has a filter that cuts off light above a chosen IR wavelength. This filter can be moved with a small solenoid so it’s automatically disabled whenever the camera goes into ‘night mode’. A movable IR filter is typically only seen in security cameras, all other cameras have this kind of filter permanently mounted in place to prevent blurry images, as the IR focuses a little bit differently than visible light

3 Likes

Is it possible to buy 950nm leds and replace the stock ones with a solder iron? Or does it requires a different software processing?