[Updated 02-13-20] Data leak 12-26-2019

Don’t let em fool ya, they love us because we are such lovable cusses not because we are customers. Although that doesn’t hurt come to think of it! :grin::grin::grin:

4 Likes

Oh they love us because were lovable cusses don’t you think? They’d love us just the same if we hated their products surely? :wink:

1 Like

No offense Gwendolyn but every user who uses Wyze products has a right to know what has happened as quickly as possible regardless of if they were impacted or not so they can make an informed decision if they want to continue to be Wyze customer based on the response to this issue.

Even if that communication is only the info that is posted here with a promise to follow up when more is known.

If Wyze doesn’t get out in front of the issue the Interwebs will do it for you and probably not favorably.

5 Likes

I will share your feedback with the team. Thank you for discussing this with me.

10 Likes

I will say that I believe the majority of us believe you have done a good job of informing us of the issues as you know them at that time. As more time goes on you will know of more issues or not. But I do believe you have been informing us timely with what you know. You can’t inform us of information you don’t know

7 Likes

Technology, and the global immediacy it affords, has distorted the nature of time. I’ve just about given up expecting any kind of real patience from anyone.

In another security topic, @Frederik provided this for readers to chew on:

As @paindonthurt notes, they can’t inform us of information they don’t yet know (for certain.)

And what would be the practical and emotional consequences of this:

Worth a ponder.

3 Likes

Could a short warning about the breach be put in a carefully edited popup message similar to the ones I keep getting about the time on my camera and phone does not match?

/edit - And I hope that this breach has had a significant impact on the holiday schedule of the 27 WyzeGwendolyns.

Hi Peep! You will note, I did not indicate they should have said this, particularly for the reasons you ponder above.

Please don’t take my single comment out of context of the rest of that - and my earlier posts. You’ll see that I was having a philosophical discussion with another user as to how it could have been communicated; not how I believe it should have been communicated. In fact, I have tempered my own anxiety over the incident with constructive, supportive commentary directed towards Wyze; read my posts, and you will see that while I overwhelmingly support them, I’m equally unafraid to engage in thoughtful debate. :wink:

3 Likes

I agree it’s a discussion worth having. I can see arguments for both, but I certainly understand why they didn’t choose to include that information when that particular messaging went out. I don’t think they’re being evasive or anything. Certainly there’s some reasonable amount of time between becoming aware of a problem and informing people about it. Even the process of drafting an update doesn’t happen instantaneously.

2 Likes

I just read the whole post that @Frederik posted and wow, that was a nice clear post, and something I like to hear from any company. I wish more companies did this, instead of selling my data at any chance they get.

2 Likes

Understood. You made the case well, imo. :slight_smile:

1 Like

Sure, and in all honesty, they were thrust into this position by the “security researchers” who failed to follow all reasonable, ethical disclosure methods.

Had they (researchers) followed said protocols, all of this would be happening COMPLETELY unbeknownst to even this subset of users. Had Wyze been given appropriate notice, there would have been no forum post about the “Alleged Breach”; we all would have received the email yesterday, and gone happily about our business. Wyze would have had all the time needed to perform thorough discovery, And everyone would be emailed AFTER the incident is resolved. Yet, here we are, and Wyze has been more than accountable, despite all the common professional courtesies they were not afforded by said security researchers.

7 Likes

Can you point us in the direction of that post please thank you

The post can be found here:

2 Likes

Thanks for resharing that post by @Frederik. It’s really refreshing to see that stance and POV from a company these days. I’ve pretty much accepted that my privacy is intentionally traded away by most companies. Nice to see wyze taking a different approach.

3 Likes

Thank you that was very good to read

The reality of this is a significant lose of trust of the Wyze product and its leadership. Security in the US is never given priority, Unlike the EU where such breaches result in significant fines, and increased oversight, here in the US it’s just a polite email saying “An employee made a mistake”

It’s clear to me that the explosive growth and new product’s have come at the expense of not just security but if useability. The loss of Xi and person detection, the expansion of the paid storage service, light bulbs, and plugs are all just half thought our business “Ideas”

You’ve lost a customer over all these issues.

1 Like

Do you live in the US or EU? I’m just curious because you mentioned the differences so I was wondering if you live in the United States and you know how it works then you know kind of what you’re getting yourself into don’t you? So if you live in the United States I don’t understand why this would be any different than any other company that has had much larger issues? Did you cease doing business with them also? Do you use a credit card for example? Because every credit card company has had much much larger issues with customer information been breached

2 Likes

I guess you now have $250 worth of paper weights.

2 Likes

I think Wyze did the best they could given this unfortunate incident. For those that commented that Wyze is not a secure company with user data or because there products are lower price points you get what you pay for etc. that’s a load of crap. What Wyze did identifying the issue as early as possible, taking any as many steps as possible to reduce further info leaks, and being transparent is what good companies do. Unfortunately the bad guys are out there doing this all the time and sad to say it will happen again to another company and it doesn’t matter if large or small. Also I think there many companies that this happens to that never come clean so we just don’t know about it. As noted they have learned from it and hopefully this doesn’t happen again.

2 Likes