UPDATE YOUR FIRMWARE - Wyze Cam flaw lets hackers remotely access your saved videos ( * if they can gain access to your local network/WiFi )

Did you coin these? Gotta love 'em. :grin:

3 Likes

Got to love people complaining about other people complaining.
Irony sometimes writes itself

1 Like

We’ll said, sir!

2 Likes

Does turtles all the way down work here? Prob’ly not. :grin:

2 Likes

https://9to5mac.com/2022/03/31/wyze-cam-security-flaw/
Wow! Amazing how long it took Wyze to patch this.

1 Like
4 Likes

This article is scary to read. Should I just turn to Ring??

We don’t care :upside_down_face:

5 Likes

Well, it happens a lot more than you think and in some much more damaging circumstances. There’s no 90 day rule or anything.

Actually, depending on where you live, there are actually breach notification and responsible disclosure laws. For example, in California, you have to notify if access “was acquired, or reasonably believed to have been acquired”. Most of these notification laws do have time windows.

This article is the most thorough one I’ve read yet when it comes to this matter.

https://www.reviewgeek.com/113800/wyze-left-some-security-cameras-vulnerable-to-hackers-but-its-complicated/

2 Likes

For all the “Security Pros” saying it’s not a big deal correct; it’s not from a tech standpoint. It’s a HUGE F’ing deal from an ethics standpoint. When you trust your safety and security (Home Monitoring, indoor cameras) to a company you expect and deserve to have them act ethically.

WYZE did not. Not by a long shot. Heads should roll.

I’ll wait for the $3 class action check in 5 years. :scream:

2 Likes

Wyze continued to sell these cameras and do nothing to fix the security hole in ** 3 YEARS ** on a security product. And they still left the v1 cams vulnerable.

This means Wyze is clearly NOT a company to trust with ANYTHING let alone security cameras in your home or businesses.

There’s beyond no excuse for this reprehensible behavior - they’re toast in my eyes and I will NOT support in any way this company with my money. I have 1 v1 and 2 V2 cams - the v1’s I will wait to see if they ever recall them and refund us but I WILL NOT trust any of these cams for my security needs. The V2’s I have I will apply the webcam firmware and use them as backup webcams for my videos while I go with another company for security cams, one with a better reputation than Wyze (which isn’t hard they have no reputation now).

2 Likes

Wow, you’ve been around since the company’s inception. Were you satisfied up 'til now?

Hmm, I became a customer in mid to late 2018 and the v1’s were not available at that time. It would be VERY bad for WYZE if they were still selling v1’s this entire time while knowing of these vulnerabilities and the end-of-life date. However, from what I can tell that is not the case.

I am extremely concerned with how WYZE handled this situation. As mentioned in a previous post, I’m now most concerned with the potential that other vulnerabilities were reported to WYZE by Bitdefender, but since they haven’t been patched nobody is reporting on those vulnerabilities.

There is plenty to be concerned about without making things up or exaggerating reality. Maybe I am wrong and the v1’s were being sold up until the end-of-life announcement?

1 Like

I think Wyze should release a statement on their media platforms other than what they said in the news articles. The issue was not as bad as a lot of people think it was. That said I would like to know why they took so long to at least acknowledge it. It seems that they might have favored getting new products launched then patching them.

1 Like

I agree that they should release a statement, and that it’s not as bad as it appears. What I have an issue with is the three yrs it took to patch v2 & v3, yet v1 just reached EOL last month, but no patch.

1 Like

From what I found on the Wayback Machine Wyze stoped selling the V1 in 2018.

https://web.archive.org/web/20180220144853/https://www.wyzecam.com/ ( Wayback Machine link, took a while to load)

2 Likes

Agree. Wyze is in hot water. They failed to be transparent as they have made their reputation to be and not only that, they let it go for three years and with this all out in the open now, they still refuse to speak to their customers concerning it. They’ve lost my trust. I won’t be surprised if this does them in.

2 Likes

The Verge has updated there article

3 Likes

Purchased the original first camera and am so disappointed to know that this flaw was hidden for so long. What else are you not telling us?

1 Like