Dear Beta Testers,
We would like to give an update on the recent camera firmware Beta release 126.96.36.199 (v2) and 188.8.131.52 (Pan). We have received feedback on several regressions on the builds. We want to thank you for the constructive feedback and sorry for the regressions! We want to share more background on it. Since we first launched v2 and Pan about 2 years ago, we kept adding a lot of features on top of it, detection zone, Alexa integration, Google Home integration, Edge AI (removed later), CMC, etc. The new features added a lot of complexity on the code and put quite some pressure on camera CPU and memory. I remember the average CPU load was 90%+ when Xnor AI algorithm was running. Then CMC was added which pushed the firmware to its limit. All of above impacted our camera stability and give us very little room to improve.
Several months ago we decided for a re-write of our firmware code. More than 60% of the code was re-written. The whole process consisted multiple months with cleaner architectural design and better performance design. Our test showed the CPU usage dropped 20%-25% in running time which is substantial. All the change will give us better extensibility and stability in long run. The saved CPU and memory can be used for future Edge AI related work that we couldn’t add before. The change was for the good future of Wyze cameras.
With such a big rewrite, some bugs were introduced. Sorry for the inconvenience! We spent months on self-testing and Alpha testing but still left bugs out. We will keep working on them and fix them. We expect longer beta testing time on this firmware update before official release. Currently we are focusing on reboot problem, sensor/bridge issues, and image quality issues. After that we will work on others. We will update firmware every few weeks. Sorry for the painful process. Once we get done we will be much better positioned for future firmware improvements. At the meantime, if you need your cameras be stable, I would suggest to revert to 4.X.5.111 version for now (via Device Info -> Firmware version -> Have Problem -> Revert firmware in a Beta app).
Thank you again!
Update on 5/20 10pm:
Hi all, it is about 2 weeks since the original post. I would like to give an update on camera firmware status. Our original plan was to release another beta by the end of the month to address the CMC reboot issue, other stability issues and sensor issues. The plan got a little delayed but pushing out 1-2 weeks.
In the past weeks, we fixed the CMC reboot issues and verified with a few customers already. Other stability issues were fixed as well. Last week we had an Alpha firmware release to verify with a small set of customers. Based on the feedback, we fixed about 60% of the customer’s sensor issues. We are actively working on the rest of sensor issues now. We expect to do another round of Alpha f/w test next week. If everything goes well, we will move it up to Beta the first or second week of June.
We still have the image quality issue on our list but it will not be in the next batch of f/w update. We set higher priorities for crashes and broken functionality, then is image quality. On app side, we had a bug that we may mistakenly set to 360p mode when entering from camera group view. The fix will be included in next Beta app release.