Unexplained 3 AM Blob Alert or Camera Malfunction ? Solved!

Ok … here’s a riddle … was this an unexplained blob cruising around my house in the middle of the night?

Or was it a camera malfunction?

Since all my WYZE cameras, contact sensors and motion detectors have always worked flawlessly … I, at first, was at a loss to explain why I got this alert at 3:30 a.m. I didn’t want to blame my beloved camera.

Alas, without leaving my bed, just looking at the WYZE app, I finally decided it was a camera malfunction and at 4 a.m., was trying to decide whether to order a replacement from Amazon immediately … or wait until Home Depot opened first thing this morning.

Needless to say, it was a restless rest of the night.

I’d never purchased a Wyze camera from Home Depot, but decided since the app said there were 37 cameras in stock, that if I headed there, it would be the fastest way to get a camera back up and running.

On the way headed out, I stopped to check the the Camera SD card Playback and solved the mystery.

We had a family party with a bunch of relatives yesterday … and the SD card caught the prankster in the act of turning my great room camera around, facing an oriental vase.

I emailed him the video of the crime … and he still claims he didn’t do it. I’m wondering if WYZE might add facial recognition to its cameras…it sure looks a lot like him.

So why did my backwards camera send me an alert at 3:30 a.m.?

Well, I’m ashamed to admit that I made a middle of the night COOKIE RUN to the kitchen for a couple of left-over cookies from the party … and apparently the WYZE cam picked up a dim reflection of my trip through the great room.

Even facing backwards, the camera caught me in the act!

Mystery solved. Please don’t tell me wife I raided the cookie jar!

9 Likes

Oh so busted.

Had a similar issue with my v2 that keeps track of my front door. Wyze Cam mounted outside under covered porch. Turned out to be a cotton wood seed.