FIXED!
No special characters in SSID

Found a fix for iPhone/Linksys users

1. Turned off cell data for the wyze app
  2. Turn off “auto-join” and “private address” on your home Wi-Fi
  3. Disabled 5Ghz in Linksys app
  4. I had special characters in my Wi-Fi SSID so I renamed it
  5. After router reset, began initial setup of vacuum
  6. Before connecting to wcvrxxx SSID, click the information icon beside the SSID, turn off private address and as soon as you click on the wcvr, immediately click the information icon again and turn of “auto-join”

Thanks for repeating almost everything that’s been posted in this thread.

1 Like

Same thing as rwlroc… I pulled out an ancient Linksys, configured it as an AP, and I’m working, but this is not acceptable. There’s something fundamentally broken here with the process/hardware/software for the vacuum that doesn’t seem to exist with the other products. I have 8 v2/v3 regular cams, 2x outdoor cams, and 6 plugs, and had no issues pairing them to the same 2.4ghz APs to which the vacuum refuses to pair. My home network has 2x Asus RT-ac68u (one router, one in AP mode), each with it’s own 2.4 & 5 SSIDs (4 total, should be zero confusion about what is 2.4 vs 5). I tried both 2.4 networks, tried switching the wireless mode from “N only” to “Auto” on the 2.4 band, tried setting up a guest network with a shorter SSID name, and played around with a few other settings to no avail. I ended out first pairing the vacuum to my phone’s hotspot, and BAM, worked on the first try. Since that’s far from a tenable solution, I grabbed the old router as some have done here and reconfigured for a more permanently-temporary :wink: solution, but this needs to be resolved. Following this thread closely for updates…

(Not sure if this email address goes back to the community). So I followed all of this advice and having covered both the modem and the vacuum in tin-foil, moved the unit to the far corner of the house, Still “unable to connect”. I could have cleaned the entire house twice in the time I’ve spent chasing this.
I guess I’m done!

It took me 4 days worth of different combinations to figure mine out. I guess I just got lucky with mine this morning. I was ready to send it back along with the bulb and plug because I couldn’t get them to connect. We shouldn’t have to go through this and it should just be as easy as everything else they have.

1 Like

As you say, the rest of their product line. works seamlessly. And I’m surprised that no-one from Wyze has joined this thread. Sad but they appear to be a victim of their own success. I have reliably been a pre-orderer, but I shall have to rethink that. I wait nto see if their watch is similarly troublesome.

No problem! Sometimes things need to be said a little more clearer. Instead of a thanks or not saying anything at all, [Mod Edit] .

MOD NOTE: Post edited to conform to the Community Guidelines.

Ditto. Yeah, it feels like they started preorder of an unfinished product just before Thanksgiving so as to have customers buy this instead of any other brand. When a product doesn’t work in initial setup, I don’t trust that product to work well functionally as well but keeping fingers crossed and hoping that rest will look good once this issue is resolved.

I have a new born recently and I was looking for a robot vacuum and since I have been a very happy Wyze customer so when I saw they are releasing it, I blindly opted for it. But now I’m feeling like a beta tester of their product with no time to actually try out different workaround and fix this.

I can definitely return this but the two other robot vacuum I was thinking of buying is no longer on sale with price point during thanksgiving. Highly disappointed :disappointed:

I had issues connecting it also but I worked around it and I’m not disappointed now I have never owned a robot vacuum so I can’t compare it but I am impressed so far . Depending on the router that you have you can disable the 5. Band on the app of the router or the website IP address of it you can google this to find. Turn celular data off , turn off auto join to network on the phones wifi configurations, start setup process , press both buttons to start network setup go to Wyze app add device choose vacuum , inserte your wifi and password for the wifi on first screen, then it prompts you to choose the vacuum wifi , that’s it then you name it and you should be good to go you will then manually connect to your wifi in the phone .just make sure that the auto join of the network is off after it’s set up you can put auto join on again. I’m loving the vacuum so far

2.4 vs 5 is a hardware issue, Wyze is not the only one vacbot that only supports 2.4, I have 2 other vacbots with the same requirements. My guess is the 2.4 chip is much cheaper than the dual-band version and the 2.4 has longer range so it helps in larger homes.

vhoang99 - Please don’t comment without knowing about the actual issue so many people are facing.

I’m having similar issues. I’ve rebooted everything (wifi router, iPhone/wifi-only iPad, vacuum — including a couple of factory resets), shut off 5 GHz network, and deleted and re-installed the iOS app, Nothing that I’ve tried gets me beyond the Pairing Vacuum screen. The “Next” button won’t work either before or after I connect with the vacuum wifi network. It highlights when I tap or hold it, but nada. No option to sign into my wifi network. Any suggestions? It sounds like everyone else gets beyond this point when the setup fails or stalls.

Thanks, a very concise and thorough explanation of all the steps which would have been well for Wyze to include in their set-up guide… I will see if I can disable 5 band on my router before throwing in the towel.

I also could not get it to connect to dual band 2.4/5 wifi 6 ap with pfsense. I had to connect it to the 2.4 guest network. Wyze needs to step up their game.

OK, so I traced my issue down to one of two things… It’s either the length of my wifi passphrase (53 characters) or the fact that it has a special character included in it. After setting up a very temporary old router with a crappy password to test and getting it running during initial setup, I decided to replace it with a newer better one and use the same passphrase as my others, and it wouldn’t work. I changed every wifi setting that could possibly have an effect, and finally I messed with the passphrase itself. When I crunched it down to a 12 character (none special) passphrase, it worked every time no matter what my other settings were. I could replicate the same thing on my primary router (the one that wouldn’t work during initial setup). I really don’t want to change my wifi passphrase that is in literally 50+ devices in my house, so I created a guest network for now. The only thing I have yet to do is to try inserting a special character into that short passphrase and see if it makes a difference, but if you’re still having trouble like I was, try shortening your passphrase and use only numbers and lowercase letters.

2 Likes

Bro…53 character password? WTH?

Hehe… Decided a long time ago before random password generators… Something I could remember but was complex enough

Hahaha that’s hilarious. The NSA doesn’t even have that secure of passwords…

Thanks, @rwlroc, that got me on the right track. It still isn’t fully where I want it, but it can get online.

Router: Linksys WRT1900ACS
Firmware: DD-WRT v3.0-r36006 std

Disabling “Mixed” mode for the 2.4ghz network and forcing “B” only allowed the vacuum to connect. Now the question is whether there is a combination of settings that will enable me to use the 2.4 network without forcing all endpoints to 802.11b.

EDIT: I updated the firmware of my router to DD-WRT v3.0-r44715 and now I can connect to the vacuum even with “Mixed” 2.4Ghz networking enabled. I also enabled RTS/CTS protection, don’t know if that was necessary but don’t feel like messing with it more.

Hi,

I just want to share my experience in case it could be useful.

I had the same issue, Connecting to Robot’s WiFi, and then it says “Poor Connection” and failed.

I used Asus Router.

The solution for me is disabling my mobile/cellular data on my phone where Wyze app resided. Then I clicked retry.

Hope it helps.