Two Factor Authentication (2FA)

AFAIK. It should be considered to be called Google Authenticator/QR-Code Authentication Code etc.
Because apps like Authy, OnePassword, LastPass, do the same method that Google Authenticator does, but Google Authenticator still doesn’t ‘backup’. :wink:

@CaptainMark where does one enable it on the beta app?

Hello @prjct92eh2, open the Wyze app > click “account” tab > go to the app settings > then enable 2FA and begin setup process.

1 Like

Also, keep your eye out for the setting to be moving from App Settings to My Account on a future beta release.

3 Likes

I vote for app-based 2FA (Google/Authy), as it is more convenient and secure than SMS (which I find to be a nuisance). Any 2FA is better than none, however. Thanks.

2FA has been launched as of 4/24/19!

3 Likes

Another user outside of the US or Canada here. Hope you guys come up with another method to activate 2FA soon, so we can take advantage of it too.

Hello WG, As you hear on radio, I’m a long time reader, first time poster and not sure if this is where I need to be regarding 2FA.

Our home is in the mountains of western North Carolina and where we are located, we have no cell or texting service, only internet via satellite. Based on the release of the 2FA, are any plans for alternate verification methods so those of us without texting can take advantage of the 2FA as well?

Many Thanks!!

2 Likes

It has been stated that other 2FA authentication methods(s) will be coming eventually. I don’t know what the timing might be though.

1 Like

I agreed! Ciao from Italy!

I saw that a survey on alternate 2F authentication methods was being done, but had not seen it stated that other methods were on the way. Agreed, it would be nice to know timing for everyone that does not have access to cell/text service. Thanks for the update and all you do!

I may have overstated it a bit. Here are the quotes:

1 Like

I know that different methods are under consideration though we don’t have a definite answer on that yet. I’ll bring this feedback up with the team.

If you have changes that you want to see to 2FA, please request them in the Wishlist and vote for the changes you want to see implemented. :slight_smile:

Here’s the Wishlist topic on which to vote and comment:

No worries and thank you both for the #wishlist topic reference/reminder. :slightly_smiling_face:

2FA doesn’t seem to apply for the forum. This could be a risk since the forum uses the same credentials used in the app. Are their any plans to make sure that all areas that do SSO also require 2FA?

1 Like

Not sure how many people already mentioned this, but I want to add a real case problem with SMS authentication.

I left my home for an extended international trip, so I expected to be able to monitor it using the app. As soon as I landed abroad, I switched sim cards on my phone and tried to open the app, which logged me out (I believe because it suspected something was wrong since my IP country was different).

Now I cannot log back in, because my carrier (a virtual carrier in the US) does not provide any roaming capabilities.

SMS can be very inconvenient because of this. So Wyze, you should at least provide us with recovery codes that could be used as 2FA in case we lose access to our phones.

I tried emailing Wyze and am sill waiting for an answer.

I had the same issue with TransferWise, but they allow me to call them for support to verify my information, which is not great but helps more than a support ticket.

Keep in mind that this forum is primarily a user to user community. If you don’t get a helpful reply here, please file a Support Request. Depending on the nature of the problem, rather than use the previous website link, it is helpful to submit an App Log and/or a Firmware Log.

I tried emailing Wyze and am sill waiting for an answer.

I am not asking for help, I am telling about my problem to inform other people and the Wyze team about the caveats of only supporting SMS 2FA.

Sorry, I was replying from my phone, and should have clarified. The Wyze app allows you to submit feedback as well as problems requesting support tickets. I hope that was more helpful.