Trouble setting up second camera

Problem: I’ve had a V1/V2 cam in place for over a year, which worked fine. I also have a second cam still in the box all that time — never got around to setting it up. Now I have a need to. I followed the instructions and got as far as the last step, when the cam sets itself up. However, it keeps telling me it cant connect with my wifi, despite the fact that the first cam never had a problem.

So I moved the original working cam to the new place I need monitored — I checked and was informed that I could unplug an existing cam and it would just set itself up on its own once it was plugged back into AC. Nope — same problem as the other cam. Can someone tell me what I’m doing wrong? Thanks.

PSI checked online tutorials but they have the same instructions as the ones that come with the camera.

When you move a working camera - you should just unplug it, move it, and plug it back in - there is no need to go through the ‘setup’ process again. If the ‘working’ camera is unable to connect to WiFi in the new location, it sounds like a WiFi signal issue in that location - I would start diagnosing there. Can you set the ‘second’ camera up next to the router and see if you can get fully through setup? Would also be good to get it updated to latest firmware when you do. Also - is the phone you are using connected to a 2.4ghz or 5ghz Wireless network (Wyze only works on 2.4, so it will commonly fail if you are connected to 5ghz and attempt setup).
Hope this helps and thank you for supporting Wyze!

I’ve gotten through the QR code read step several times, but the app keeps telling me it cannot fund the specified network. I have three in the house, but how do I figure out which one(s) are 2.4? Is there someone who can walk me though this real time on the phone? Thanks.
Dan

Moderator Note: Personal information has been manually removed from this post. Such information often gets included inadvertently in an email signature block when replying by email. The forum software attempts to automatically remove email signatures but it is not always successful. When replying to the forum by email, it is best to remove the signature block yourself before sending.

Dan, one thing to check. Make sure your phone is logged into the same. 2.4 WiFi network as your wyze system. My phone tends to prefer to hookup to my 5.0 and it will cause this r problems.

Thanks for the quick reply. I’m not as slick as I’d like to be, technically speaking. I’m on an iPhone XR, I’ve had the one Wyze cam in place for over a year with no problem, so not sure why it’s not reconnecting now. In my Settings page on the phone I can see the different networks in the house but cannot see where it indicates which frequency each operates on.

I’ve tried all three networks. Most recent outcome is connection failed, timed out, please rescan. Suggestions? Thx,
Dan

Moderator Note: Personal information has been manually removed from this post. Such information often gets included inadvertently in an email signature block when replying by email. The forum software attempts to automatically remove email signatures but it is not always successful. When replying to the forum by email, it is best to remove the signature block yourself before sending.

Wyze only works on 2.4. I’m not an Apple person, so I have no idea how to find which wifi your phone is on, but phone and cam must be on the same 2.4 wifi to setup. Good luck

The short answer: logging into your router to check the settings is your best bet to truly answer the question.
Longer answer: have you tried a simple Google Search for this question? here is one example I found that walks through the basics:

If you need additional assistance with a ‘live person’, your best bet is Wyze Support: https://support.wyzecam.com/hc/en-us/sections/360006007472-Setup-Connectivity

Good luck!

I did, actually. Lots of options, including the suggestion to see the suffix at the end of a network name (5G, 2.4). Unfortunately, not all the networks have that. I may have covered it when the net was renamed during installation. Still not seeing why the Wyze cam won’t just connect to the same network it’s been on for over a year.

This may sound silly, but have you tried unplugging and replugging in the Router Power?
Also, are you able to log into at least one of the routers and take a look around? Have you updated any passwords recently? More questions than answers at this point, sorry!

I was able to carry the router through the remote. That let me figure out which network was 2.4 G and which network was 5G. I then set the phone to the 2.4 network and was able to connect.

1 Like

Great to hear, @danwriter! Glad you were able to identify the 2.4 network and get up and running! Enjoy your 2 Wyze cams and cheers to more Wyze products in the future!