Track movements separately

An object that moves across the view should be tracked as one event, and a different object moving across the view should create a separate event. The car that drove by followed by the person walking up my driveway should not be the same event, even if you don’t send me a notification.

If there is enough of a gap in time between the two motions, they will be recorded as separate events. However, there is a five minute timeout period after the 1st event is recorded before another can be. You can eliminate this five minute timeout by purchasing a subscription to Complete Motion Capture.

To separate the car event from the person event if there is no gap between them would require a level of artificial intelligence that is not possible in the firmware of these cameras.

1 Like

The current approach of flagging any change as motion, and then not notifying again within the cooldown period simply misses the point of identifying events in the video. Substantial events go unreported because a dog ran in front of the camera 3 minutes ago. I repeat, IT DOES NOT FULFILL THE REQUIREMENT.

This is the primary reason I cannot recommend Wyze cameras to my friends. They do not actually give you what you need.

Making me pay for their server space is not the right customer solution when the link to the playback is all that is actually needed. That smacks of funneling the customer into paying extra for a bigger bandaid, rather than providing the right solution.

It also does not solve the fact that the camera is not correctly distinguishing multiple events within a time period.

Finally, this is not AI. I’m not asking to identify the warbling motion of multiple people, just identify that two or more separate areas of delta within a frame are separate events, and track them separately. This is simple video tracking and the camera already does that (sort of).

This is probably due limitations by hardware processing power and software. My main single driveway $400 Axis camera has this feature, where you can specify the delays down to the second and have different types of alerts. you can even draw an imaginary line anywhere in the view of the camera when which crossed can trigger an event, I can even specify the direction it was crossed either left to right or right to left top to bottom etc. The wyze cam while it is an excellent cheap realible $20 with many features, as mentioned before this is not one of them due to limitations.

There’s enough processing to do MPEG compression, which encodes frame deltas.

Why bother to do any motion tracking or notifications at all if it’s not up to snuff? The reason is because that’s what customers want, and this is my wish list.

I’m confused here, why would the response be to buy a competing product that literally costs 20x this one?

It sounds like you essentially just want the five minute cool down to be eliminated so multiple events within that time can be triggered.

Wyze made the decision early on that they would provide 14 day event storage free. Not many, if any, camera makers provide free cloud storage, especially at Wyze’s price point. In order for Wyze to be able to afford this, they limited the cloud clips to 12 seconds at most every 5 minutes. That was the trade-off to keep it free.

Because of much user demand to lengthen the clips and eliminate the cool down, Wyze added the CMC feature a few months ago. But they could not make it free without greatly increasing the cost of the cameras. So they offered at a pretty reasonable subscription price.

All that said, there is a way that you can have all of the motion events recorded without paying for CMC. That way is to install a microSD card in the camera. With a card in the camera, you can record continuously, or have it save only motion events with no length or timeout limitations.

Hope that helps.

1 Like

Don’t be confused! The service wyze provides is what is what it is… Nothing more nothing less. I think wyze has a sub forum to submit future feature update request. Maybe try in there or contact service to put in a request.

I thought this is that forum? Wish list? That’s where I posted this.

I have 4 cameras. I have the SD card in every camera. I have set detection zones and done everything I can to make the cameras work - but they produce too many false positives, and miss too many real events because of two things: the cooldown, and the lack of correct tracking.

This was supposed to be a wish list item. To make the cameras issue notifications correctly, they need to track separate objects separately. If a dog runs by going one way, and a car comes by the other way, these are separate events.

The cooldown is made completely unnecessary by the SD card and the notification link to the video. My advice to the company is don’t even bother with the 12s upload. Make it a screen grab and let me view it on my cam. Economic problem solved…

If as you say, the camera already does that if you have an SD card, the setting must be somewhere to control it, right? Please tell me how to make it record those events whenever they happen. My cameras all have a very distinct 5 minute beat.

Re false positive, please see this Wishlist topic:

Motion detection is pixel based. It is not tracking object, but only pixel changes from one frame to the next. The only exception is person detection which, unfortunately, is being removed temporarily in the next update.

There are several other wishlist topics asking for various kinds of object detection. Please search for and vote for and or comment on those.

Your submission was moved to #ask-the-community for more clarification and because of the overlap with several existing wishlist topics.

The SD card recording is totally separate from cloud events, other than that events would start at the same time based on some motion. Here’s an overview:

There are three kinds of recording available in the app:

1. Cloud motion/sound event: These are enabled in the camera settings (gear icon) > Event Recording. Also make sure that the Detection Zone under Detection Settings is not missing the area of motion. These are played back in the Events tab.
  2. microSD card recording: This is enabled in Advanced Settings > Local Storage and can be set to continuous or event only recording. This is played back by pressing the View Playback button on the live stream. This is completely independent from #1.
  3. Record button on live stream or playback: This saves to your phone’s camera roll or gallery, in real time, whatever is being played in the live stream or view playback. Note that it isn’t available when playing cloud events. It is viewed by tapping More and then the Album button, or by leaving the Wyze app and viewing the Wyze album in your phone’s photos or gallery app. This type of recording ceases when you leave the Wyze app.

More info on setting these up can be found in the Support Site.

1 Like