Time lapse guidance on memory use and frame rate

What is the frame rate when a time lapse video is played back? I’d like calculate how long a time lapse video will take to play back. Is it 30 frames per second, or 60, or something else? For instance a video that takes one image a minute for an hour will have 60 images. When I play it back will this be a 2 second video (30 fps), or 1 second video (60 fps)? Also is their any information available on the approximately how large each image is? I know this varies but any guidance would be useful.

If we can get this information then we’ll know how long our time lapse videos will take to playback, and how much memory they’ll take. Without it their is no way to know.

Sorry if this information is readily available somewhere and I’ve missed it.

P.S. - This is a terrific product!

1 Like

It’s 30 fps.

Here’s an interesting tidbit – it can be 15 or 30 FPS, depending on your player!

I just recorded a 6-hour, 30-second interval time lapse with a V2 cam, so that should have generated 720 frames (6 hours * 60 minutes * 2 frames per minute = 720 frames).

The resulting recording took 48 seconds to play out on Elmedia Video Player on my Mac, so that would be 720 frames / 48 seconds = 15 frames per second.

When I played it back on VLC Player, it only took 24 seconds (720 frames / 24 seconds = 30 frames per second).

Interestingly, BOTH players said the frame rate was 15 FPS during playback, which is what the Wyze Cam’s daylight recording frame rate is specified as.

In fairness to VLC, they were not a recommended app for a file with a .h264 extension. So VLC is Wyze’s recommendation for a player, but my Mac defaulted to Elmedia for this file type and made me jump thru hoops to get VLC to play it.

Of course you can’t predict how the recording will behave on someone else’s player, so I’d go with 30 FPS and the minimum amount of time you want the video to play (like 15 or 30 seconds). Then if the viewer takes twice as long, it won’t be that bad.

As far as size goes, know the recording is saved in a separate folder on your card. So if you have been filling the card up with looping recordings, you will probably need to format the card to free up space before you start the time lapse. It will not free up space for you. I personally believe you can get at least 8,000 frames on a 32 GB card.

1 Like