This is not secure

It does.

And we are working on a few initiatives to continue boosting the security, while enabling a few new capabilities.
We fully understand that the bigger our brand, the more a target we are becoming and we are acting in relation to that.
One of the thing that is also a limiting factor is the number of changes that you can make at a time. In our case, some of our improvements and changes are so fundamental that any other attempt to build would be going for the trash as soon as the improvements would hit production.

3 Likes

PROVISIONAL SUMMARY

With respect to cloud cameras:

Privacy | Security | Trust | Money

Do you trust Wyze to work exhaustively toward world-class cloud cam privacy/security?

• Yes
  • No

0 voters

Do you trust Wyze to work exhaustively toward world-class cloud cam privacy/security?
NO!!!
I donā€™t TRUST ā€œWyzeā€ at all (well maybe a little bit).
Most of the people responding on here seem to have LITTLE OR NO concept of security.
ANYTHING transferred over WiFi is hackable.
Put more ā€œworkā€ into an eyeball.
A camera my 94 yr old MIL can stick on the outside wall that is battery/solar powered and pipes to her TV.
/edit - perhaps I was a little too harsh in my NO, but to work exhaustively toward world-class cloud cam privacy/security seems like a dedication of resources.

1 Like

In your estimation, given Wyzeā€™s company size, how much of a ā€œpersonā€ must they dedicate to fulfill an exhaustive commitment?

1 Like

Iā€™m willing to trust, willing to bet Wyze will back up their claims.

Funny, I didnā€™t immediately have a solid answer. Set it aside until this afternoon when it settled in the affirmative.

Most of the people responding on here seem to have LITTLE OR NO concept of security.

Gemniii, you said your ā€œnoā€ was a bit harsh ā€¦ but then you go on to pretty much malign ā€œmostā€ of the people in the WYZE community.

My car, my wifeā€™s car, our cell phones, our t.v.'s, TIVOā€™s, our smart lights, our iRobot Roombas, my laptop, our iPads, my iWatch, our Online banking, Acurite Hub, multiple Sonos speakers and soundbars, Nest Hello, Google Home, Western Digital MyCloud, Sump Pump wifi alarm, and yes, my WYZE cameras all broadcast over wifi and most on the internet.

I would be willing to be that all of us here on the WYZE community forum understand everything you are saying ā€¦ and yes, we all know that any wifi/internet device can be hacked.

Please donā€™t insult our intelligence by saying we donā€™t understand hacking and security.

Having said all this ā€¦ I think itā€™s a personal choice as to how ā€œriskā€ a person is willing to accept ā€¦ and yes, how much ā€œfaithā€ we have in the manufacturer and programmers of a wifi/internet device we install in our homes.

Of any wifi/internet device Iā€™ve installed and ā€œacceptedā€ into my home, I can only think of ONE(1) ā€¦ I repeat, ONE(1) ā€¦ manufacturer which has time after time shown such concern for its customers ā€¦ and thatā€™s WYZE.

I firmly believe that WYZE is constantly looking to improve the security of its devices and software ā€¦ and is really concerned at every single report here on the forum, or in an incident report, or on a phone call or a chat, about every single problem and concern of WYZE cam users.

And Iā€™ll bet that 99% of the folks here on the forum feel and understand the same ā€¦ that WYZE truly has our best interests at heart.

3 Likes

While there are definitely many here that DO understand hacking and security, there are almost certainly a much higher percentage that do NOT truly understand it at more than a cursory level.

To that endā€¦ I would be less concerned about your Roomba being attached to WiFi than I would about the fact that itā€™s uploading a virtual ā€˜mapā€™ of your house to the cloud. Hack THAT, and you have a complete floorplan of your house to use when breaking into it at night.

2 Likes

The question I was responding to"
Iā€™ve a background in Army fielded computer systems where often a Top Secret or higher was needed.
It takes a LOT of resources to make computers secure. The best methods involve surrounding them with armed guards,
There have been many posts about people fearing their baby-cam stream will be stolen, I can understand their concern, But there is a big tradeoff between building a world-class cloud cam privacy/security system and selling one with a profit margin that allows the company to continue to sell them at such low prices.
As WyzeFrederick put it "Last point! I swear it is! Doubling, tripling, quadrupling the price of the camera will not change the privacy level of the camera. This is not a cost matter. It is a resource and a pace at which we can make the changes happened. "

It is a tradeoff, and just like everything else we have to choose. I hope Wyze continues the way they have been going.

They seem to take security as a high priority, along with many other priorities.

4 Likes

Companies generally soft-pedal security risks and exaggerate their efforts to protect their customers from exposure and harm. If people were fully informed, the argument goes, their caution in buying (versus urgency/impulse) would have a negative impact on the bottom line.

Consumers are better off being dumb and happy. Weā€™re actually promoting a higher quality of life for them when we steer them away from stark reality. As Colonel Jessep said, ā€œYou canā€™t handle the truth!ā€ We will handle it for you, keep you at a safe distance from that purposeless anxiety.

You get our miraculous product and we make a ā€œreasonableā€ (if not tidier) profit monetizing things you wouldnā€™t try to hide even if you could. Alexa, cue patriotic songs and chants. Syri, monitor response. Cortana, you arenā€™t aging well - perhaps you should consider a career change. -Composite exec

Collectively, as a herd, we are already pwned. Now, here ā€œIā€ am, stringy little maverick, compromised by the herdā€™s indiscriminate embrace ofā€¦ EVERYTHING. "Oh, look, ā€œI say, ā€œI take all the precautions, Iā€™m good.ā€ But if I want to remain fluidly social, YOU compromise ME when we interact (at my 'secureā€ home, via email & otherwise.)

And those vaqueros, social, societal, governmental, are not gentle. Think spurs, bridles and bits, branding, hogtying and vaccination chutes. Itā€™s good to be beef. Ainā€™t it?

Sure.

A few items in support:

• Iā€™ve told my extended family, ā€œPlease do not share sensitive personal information about me in email. Email is like a postcard: transparent in transit to whomever is involved in the relay. Would you write that on a postcard?ā€ They look at me blankly, deaf to my pleas. As long as the consequences are not immediately apparent there are none.

• Mail older than 6 months stored in a common cloud account is accessible to authorities without a warrant. Does anyone care? It sure is convenient to be able to search through years of online purchase transactions (for instance) from anywhere on any device. So, actually, no, most donā€™t care, even when informed.

• If you were alive and tech sentient twenty years ago you remember when the vision of cloud computing was rolled out. A significant segment of society then still cared about owning and storing their own data locally, so insouciance took a generation to fully develop.

• Contemporaneously, device Unique ID (UID) caused an outrage when it was discovered Intel had furtively etched their chips with 'em. Now weā€™re just happy theyā€™re etching our chips and not our dental work.

Please correct, refute, or add other instances if the spirit moves ya. -peep

There was recently discovered a serious vulnerability CVE-2019-11220 with P2P cameras powered by a competitive iLnkP2P company (nothing to do with with TUTK P2P used by Wyze Cam). It is possible to access camera remotely just knowing itā€™s UID. At least a couple million iLnkP2P cameras are affected.
More info is available via https://hacked.camera/

2 Likes

Actually, this was not recently discovered, only recently publicly published and discussed.

1 Like

Alexa, forget what I told you to remember.
Sorry, I donā€™t know that.

The question of security of information and its cost is very much dependent upon the actual value of that information.

Personally I doubt very much that masked intruders will hack into my wyze cams to assess the value and ease of availability of my assets in my home.

Similarly if little Johnnie or Jennie want to hack in to see me walking to the bathroom I donā€™t much care either.

I have a ring doorbell as a deterrent and for convenience. Similarly wyze for a little bit more security and peace of mind.

Do I worry about someone spying on me without clothes on ? No, not at all.

Itā€™s an interesting discussion and nothing more.

2 Likes

Just out of curiousity, did you read the whole TL;DR thread? :slight_smile:

No, where is it ?

1 Like

Spend a hundred bucks and plug Firewalla into your router. Youā€™ll see every device and if/when it tried to connect somewhere, it will ask you if itā€™s ok. I see my Wyze traffic - itā€™s pointed at aws in Oregon 90% of the time and random aws access points, almost always in the us the rest of the time. Iā€™ve had 3 hits to aws node in Canada.
Thereā€™s more than your moneyā€™s worth in security with this product, by orders of magnitude - remember, your not paying monthly for all that was storage and housekeeping.
And always remember, if your not paying for the product, you are the product and either accept or decline that privacy trade off.

2 Likes

Oh, I mean did you read this whole long thread. TL;DR (too long; didnā€™t read.)

Good tips. :slight_smile:

I think Iā€™m mourning the fact that in about ten years it will be literally impossible to go ā€œoff the grid.ā€ An extinction event of the liberty sort.