This is not secure

No. In this case, because we’re friends, part of the Wyze family, a community, suspicion starts at $15. :wink:

This is not to say it’s impossible to give something away without mining the recipient. ProtonMail comes to mind. But their stated mission is to provide email privacy to the masses. Because it’s a worthwile thing to do. In On principle.

However, it’s a service. They have no physical merchandise to hump. And as we all know, that which one humps, may one day hump one back. So it’s best to haul ass. To the swift go the spoils.

And those with the spoils go public. At that point (as Larry McMurty titled his autobiography) all my friends are going to be strangers. It’s in the corporate charter.

I’m sure I’m missing something here, but this is roughly correct.

[later]

Unsolicited translation/expansion:

Yes. A feature of modern marketing involves persuading customers to:

• identify as the company’s family members, community members, friends.
  • establish a social commitment to other customers and to develop loyalty to the company brand.

Because the technique is so common and usually so poorly executed it can come off as insincere and annoying which it often is.

It’s possible to give something away without monetizing the recipient. But it’s rare and often typical of a company founded on principle. ProtonMail is an example.

However, ProtonMail is a service. They have no physical merchandise to “carry on their backs.” Wyze does. Managing physical inventory to match demand is a particular challenge that when poorly met damages a company’s prospects.

“Move fast and break things” is one famous company’s early motto. The goal is not to break things but to move fast at all costs to outstrip and/or disrupt the competition. Dominant competitors resent disruption and can be a source of significant blowback.

Results matter and are rewarded by venture types. Taking a company public (listing on a major stock exchange) is a common goal of a company’s early investors. Once you are a public corporation you may be legally constrained from honoring many of your early principles.

To be accurate, you may then need to qualify the word friends with air quotes.