Thinking outside the metal (steel) mailbox

Thanks for the reply MrWidget.
You have a very clean simply mounted transmitting unit inside your mailbox. However there are two situations that can be easily fixed.

1. If the transmitter is bumped by mail or packages the unit will separate from the battery door that is attached to the inside surface of the mailbox. Also the separation impact could damage or break the solder joint for the antenna.
  2. In your current setup, changing batteries requires the transmitter to be separated from the battery door. Swinging back the transmitter to access the battery will put strain on the antenna solder joint.
    The fix to the above scenarios is to flip over the unit and attach its opposite face to the surface of the mailbox. The old adhesive should be removed from the battery door. Battery changes will not put strain on the antenna connection.
    As further step could be to attach a bumper bar in front of the unit to guard it. I would use small screws for the attachment.
    In the post referenced below is a method of providing bumper protection I used. Also shown is how I attached the magnet without relying on adhesive tape.

You’ve got mail part two post #1, Feb 18.

2 Likes