Thief smashing Wyze Monitoring base station? Turn of sound to prevent finding it?

I’d prefer they don’t include battery backup for a modem/router with this product because it would add a significant price increase. Most Battery backup devices cost at least $40 for the most affordable ones and a lot of people don’t need/want one and it would just force unnecessary expense to all the people who wouldn’t want it, making this product a sort of “bloatware” instead of reasonably priced. (As mentioned, the hub itself does have it’s own battery backup, so here I am just talking about a battery backup solution for a home’s modem & router…which anyone can easily do themselves).

It’s pretty easy to just buy our own APC Back-UPS or Cyberpower or whatever that has battery backup as a surge protector. I got a couple of affordable battery backups last year during Black Friday deals and I plug my modem and router into it, so my internet continues to work even if the power dies. Anyone else can do the same if this is a concern to them. Black Friday is right around the corner so several will be on sale and thus anyone can get this solution themselves.

Additionally, anyone who wants cellular backup can do something similar…rig their own solution that automatically switches on cellular if the modem/router ever disconnects.

Even though the research shows very few people want or use cellular backup or modem battery power backup (compared to the majority who do not), I still support Wyze developing and providing cellular backup as an in-house option, but I would again prefer that option not be forced on the majority of people who do not want and would not use it, but should instead be a separate set of hardware for those who do want/use it. That way they can continue to provide the current hardware as affordably as possible while still providing the desired solutions for those who do want more.

I, and others have brought this issue up with Wyze and they even answered in a Wyze AMA saying they are looking into it, but making no promises yet.

2 Likes