Thermostat with Carrier Heat Pump and Thermidstat

Trying to figure out the wiring for my system and undertand most of them. My thermidistat has two wires one connected to o/w2 and one to y1/w2, I think they are for 2nd stage heating. My unit has auxilary heating and emergency heat. It seems 0/W2 and y1/w2 may not be too common as a google search does not turn up much. I also have wires in c,dhum, hum,s1,r,g,y,and w. I’m no longer using the humidifier so I can ignore those and the outdoor temp sensor does not seem to work so not worried about that. Have an orange wire in o/w2 and brown in y1/w2. Any idea where I would put the ornage and brown wires on the wyze? Would o/w2 go to o/b? Would y1/w2 go to w2? To make it more confusing there is also a star next to o/w2 and two stars next to y1/w2 and wyze has 1 spot for *. Thermostat is tstatccprh01-b.

Can anyone help or should I hire a pro? Appreciate any help anyone can offer.

Best,
Ed

Take pictures and upload them here.
You’ve probably got a heat pump, but I need to see the current thermostat wiring to tell you how to hook it up to the wyze.

1 Like

Thank you so much! Yes, it’s a carrier heatpump about 17 years old. Here are some pics, are they good enough? Orange is shown disconnected, but it goes in o/w2*.

Uploading: 20211126_094623.jpg…

Best,
Ed

Mostly ignore the second set of letters, so tell wyze your wires are as follows:
Top connector
White: W
Yellow: Y
Green: G
Red: R
Brown: W2
Orange: O

Bottom connector:
Blue:Not working, so wrap it in electric tape and ignore it.
Red: Not working, so wrap it in electric tape and ignore it.
Grey: DHUM
Black: C

You have both a Dehumidifier and Emergency heat, and the wyze only has one aux output, so I’ve just set it up as 3rd stage heat. If you ever needed to operate in emergency heat mode, then you would need to re set up your wyze and tell it the brown wire is E, not W2, and ignore / don’t add the dehumidifier wire.

If your current thermostat can operate without batteries installed, this should be all that you need to get started, however, if it turns off without batteries, I also need a picture of your air handler, and the other ends of these wire inside.

2 Likes

Turns out, my outdoor temp feature is working. It started working after I removed power to attempt this install, once I turned the breaker back on it was reporting accurately again! It was also acting weird as the indoor temp was off and had to turn it to 76 to stay comfortable. Now I leave it on 68/69. So, I would like to use s1 if I can with wyze. My dehumidifier is dead, no longer using it so will not connect as you suggest.

I do use aux heat when it gets pretty cold out, but I have not used emergency heat before that I remember. Are you saying this setup will turn on aux when/if needed and then I will have to reconfigure if I ever need emergency heat? I wonder if other smart thermostats can handle aux and emergency heat?

There are no batteries in my thermostat, when i open it up it powers off. I will open the air handler and send pics.

I greatly appreciate your help, are you in the hvac industry?

Best regards,
Ed

| speadie
November 27 |

• | - |

Mostly ignore the second set of letters, so tell wyze your wires are as follows:
Top connector
White: W
Yellow: Y
Green: G
Red: R
Brown: W2
Orange: O

Bottom connector:
Blue:Not working, so wrap it in electric tape and ignore it.
Red: Not working, so wrap it in electric tape and ignore it.
Grey: DHUM
Black: C

You have both a Dehumidifier and Emergency heat, and the wyze only has one aux output, so I’ve just set it up as 3rd stage heat. If you ever needed to operate in emergency heat mode, then you would need to re set up your wyze and tell it the brown wire is E, not W2, and ignore / don’t add the dehumidifier wire.

If your current thermostat can operate without batteries installed, this should be all that you need to get started, however, if it turns off without batteries, I also need a picture of your air handler, and the other ends of these wire inside.

Unfortunately, the wyze does not support outdoor temp sensors, it just turn on the aux system if it takes to long to hit your setpoint with just the heatpump. If you’re not using the dehumidifier, then cap it off and ignore its wire. Change what you tell wyze the Brown wire is to E.

1 Like

Here are the pics of my air handler and inside unit. Does this change anything?

Thank you again for your time, much appreciated.

Nope, everything looks good there. I’m assuming that white wire that’s connected to C on your board goes off the left side of the screen and connects to those black wires to go out to the AC compressor and the thermostat, maybe after going through a condensate overflow switch.

ok, thank you very much. I will give this a try and see how it goes. You were very generous with your time and expertise and I’m grateful to you.

All my best!

I finally got around to installing and it seems to be working fine so far. Thank you again for your time, much appreciated.

All my best,
Ed

1 Like