Thermostat temperature not constant

I hear you,

I hear you buddy, quick question, I have been reading a bunch of posts today, and I read somewhere that since this is a small thermostat, if the hole behind the thermostat where the cables come through is too big, it might affect the sensor by letting air from outside get through and it might change affect the coldness or heating. I unmounted mine and realized that the hole was too big compared with the size of the thermostat, I moved to a point where the hole was not right behind the pins of the thermostat.

Also, I attached the old thermostat to the wall (check attached pic), and also a normal grill thermometer :stuck_out_tongue: to compare temperatures, and noticed that for some reason mine was 2/3 degrees above the other 2, and I read that in the advanced settings it has a temperature correction option if you find the thermostatā€™s measurements are off by one or two degree, I put -2 F, I will be checking on it during the day and letā€™s see at night. Let me see if this might help you work around, I am pissed off as well, and I created a ticket, but I really want to do as much as I can before I return them, I still have 30 days to work around, I bought 2 Wyze thermostats even much lower than buying one of the other brands (~$150). Letā€™s make some noise with the Wyze engineering team so they can prioritize the firmware of this.

I read this article, just for your reference 14 Best Smart Thermostats of 2022 - Reviewed

25 days in and Iā€™ve had it. Will be initiating return by Monday . Looking at Honeywell T9. I will be sure to tell ( as sales statistics prove ) at least 40 people of my nice first customer experience.

1 Like

Mine is spot on. If I had any of those discrepancies, Iā€™d just send it back. Maybe try another unit, maybe not. Good luck!

Just requested the return on mine also. Obviously released way before it was time, and 0 response or help from support. Temperature swings are huge, and it you have a heat pump with auxiliary heat it runs the aux heat on every cycle. My current thermostat never does that unless the outside temp is super low. If I kept this it would cost me hundreds of dollars in heating costs. Sorry Wyze, you just lost a customer who was a big fan until now. There are tons of posts about these issues, and Wyze hasnā€™t responded to any of them.

3 Likes

what I did was starting posting on their social media pages and see what they doo when the public eye sees those comments. I just got them yesterday. I really want these to work, I am trying to tweak everything I can and read posts before returning them, I think it has a great potential to be the best budget smart thermostat, but they need to start listening and being accountable.

Still spot on on temp. But time to reconnect the Humidifier wire (asterisk) to kick some humidity back in house. Itā€™s like a lightning show between the sheets :wink:

3 Likes

After seeing your pic yesterday, I bought a couple of those thermometers too, I have tweaked the Wyze thermostats settings and have been behaving decently today

1 Like

Definitely a step backward from my Honeywell unit. Specifically annoying is at 2 am with the setting for heat to come on at 68, it heats to 70 before it shuts off. I want control of the deltas between requested temperature and on/off temps. Iā€™ve tried all settings from SAVINGS to COMFORT on the Behavior setting and none seem to affect this.

Nope nothing is available to control whatā€™s called temperature differential. Supposedly itā€™s hidden and will be available at some point.

Thanks @Mark5. My wife is about to rip the thermostat off the wall because it is waking her up as it gets too hot overnight. I suspect weā€™ll have the same problem with cooling side of things when it gets warmer. Sad it doesnā€™t work very well. Seems like a simple thing that shouldnā€™t have been overlooked. Countdown to new thermostat is startingā€¦

What type of system do you have? My forced air gas system temperature swings are tight +- 1 degree max.

My old thermostat is hanging off the wall and a sad reminder to my wife that ā€œthese things donā€™t workā€ when generally they do. Oh the life and anguish of an early adopter.

1 Like

so true, wish they took more time to development before the release, wife is not happy, so will likely have to buy a Nest or something similar to make her happy, so the temps are not all over the place.

Non-heat pump AC and gas furnace.

Update. Testing with a second unit, same issue: When the thermostat is just waiting for the temp to drop enough to turn on the heat, it is fine. It matches the thermometer. As soon as it calls for heat is when the temperature varies wildly and I SUSPECT that it could be because the unit itself itā€™s getting warmer when it calls for heat. For example, it was 69 in the room, we have it set for 70, so , the heat comes on as it should. I was in the basement at the time so I can hear the furnace come on. I open the app to check and it says that the room is now 72 and the call for heat at 70 will turn off in about one minute as a safety delay. This was all in the span of 1 minute. As soon as the heat turned off, the current temp on the unit started to come back down to the room temperature on the thermometer. Bottom line, I think the unit is heating up when it calls for heat.

For wiring, I have a plug in transformer connected to C and Rc because the our transformer couldnā€™t get enough power up to the unit to power it. Even had an electrician here and it didnā€™t work until I put in the plug in type transformer sending about 24-25v.

I have the furnace on Rh and W1.

I have the same frustrations with my 2 thermostats. Heats 3 degrees above set temp on average. Took a month for support to reply, They confirmed that shouldnā€™t happen, had me reset the thermostats which did not help. That was a week ago, havenā€™t heard back. If their support was responsive and helpful, I would be willing to wait it out for updates. I just cant back a company with such awful customer service.

I set mine to cool to 72 and for some reason, after a couple of hours it sets itself back to 76? I have tried many things to fix this, in the comfort/schedule/and hold setting and nothing seems to get it to let me set the temperature I want.

I noticed my furnace running so much more since I installed the Wyze thermostat at the beginning of winter. Experiencing those wide temperature swings that others on the forum are talking about. It sometimes jumps 8-10 degrees and totally confuses this so called smart thermostatā€¦lol. I have never used up so much fuel oil when using my old trusty manual Honeywell dial thermostat. This product definitely has issues and I have removed it and reinstalled the old Honeywell dial. I own 7 Wyze cameras and very happy with their performance but the thermostat is a :lemon: IMO. I will be looking at another brand unless Wyze replaces this paperweight with a properly working unit.

Iā€™ve had the Wyze in my shop since itā€™s release, nothing but issues, lots of them. Nothing gets done as Wyze is only interested in R&D of new products for increasing sales. I have a Ecobee 4 in the house for 5 years and has been flawless. I should have spent the money and bought an Ecobee for the shop, but I thought since the Wyze cams work , most of the time, there not flawless by far, I would get the Wyze tstat. Wrong , Wrong.
I after 3 years of Wyze crappy tstat, I just found a used Ecobee 3 yesterday for pocket change, the guy wanted to upgrade to a voice activated Ecobee. Ecobee 3 is finally going in my shop. Iā€™m all done with Wyze cheap crap. Cheap is not always the best way to go.

By the way any one interested in a fabulous piece of Wyze crap tstat I have one for sale.

Randy

• Added a new temperature calibration equation for better accuracy. Update on Feb 21, 2022. Does anyone know what this update was meant to address?