Thermostat not finishing setup

I actually just tried connecting them to a second wyze account to see if it’s an issue on my account. No luck.

This company just doesn’t care. I am so disappointed with the staff at Wyze.

Shane

@Chuan @WyzeDave

My kids are going to bed in the cold because I can’t get the Thermostat reset on my account. What are we going to do here?
I freaking <3 Wyze. I removed ecobees from my house to replace them with Wyze (those are now deployed elsewhere and not available to me). Do I need to go buy some Nests?
Can we come up with a plan for resolution and a timeline?

My WYZE thermostat was working perfectly fine. Purchased a new router which caused a new network name to be used for the wifi network. The only way to update the wifi networks on any WYZE product is to re-install the device in the app. DON’T DO IT UNLESS YOU WANT A THERMOSTAT BRICK…

Tried the software re-install for the thermostat and got the “Finishing Setup” spinning error of death. I tried multiple times with all solutions. Reset, restarted, updated, etc. Nothing worked.

Now the thermostat did work in manual mode by hand. But as a last resort one of the solutions was to delete the thermostat from the Wyze App. DON’T DO THIS!!! I did and now I lost all manual control of the thermostat and it is stuck in setup mode because I can’t get past the “Finishing Setup” screen. It does connect to the cloud network and added thermostat to the Wyze App but there is no way to adjust the thermostat manually or through the app.

It is now useless. It was working perfectly fine before the software re-install so I feel this is related to a programming error or bug. I wish they would find a different way to update the WiFi networks on these devices instead of programming from scratch and causing these thermostats to get bricked.

Now I have to purchase a new one to get a working product which is bad because I know the old one works just fine. I wish there were some electrical engineers that could tell us how to erase the flash memory so we could install it from scratch. There must be some power left from a capacitor that is keeping flash memory alive somewhere on the circuit board…

you need to reset it by holding down the button until it asks you if you want to reset it.

I have had this exact same problem with no luck of fixing it from support. I’ve spent all day from 2pm to 7pm trying to remedy it to no avail. And this is the first time I’ve tried to actually install it. It fails at finishing set up. They suggested sending me a new one so I guess I’ll try that. At this point, I don’t know what else to do. Eta: you also cannot delete the thermostat from the app and I’ve stated this multiple times over to the CSRs and none of them answered me if they could or how to remove it completely.

1 Like

There is a hack to delete it from your account. You need to break your internet connection, I did this by setting my DNS server to 0.0.0.0 (settings → WiFi → [your network] → Configure DNS → Manual)

Then tap the thermostat. Without an internet connection the UI will drop you in the proper thermostat interface instead of the setup screen. Then set your DNS back to automatic, back in the wyze app you can now navigate to advanced and delete it.

1 Like

Nice hack to delete from the app. You can also do the same by putting your phone is airplane mode to disconnect from the app and delete the thermostat. Just another way to solve the same problem :slight_smile:

1 Like

THANK YOU SO MUCH! That has been the most helpful comment I’ve seen.

It unfortunately still did not fix my issue of it stalling on “finishing set up.” :weary:

I’m stuck at the same spot. Tried everything multiple times. Hoping a new one works better. Another forum post referred to a bluetooth bug in the software so I hope Wyze releases an update soon to fix this issue. I have another thermostat I need to update the wifi network on but Wyze says my thermostat is outside the warranty window and won’t send a new one. The thermostat works perfectly fine until you try to go through the installation process again and then it locks up… Not sure how that is a warranty issue when it sounds like a software update error issue! I hope your new one works better!

Argh, it’s super annoying! I’m glad I decided to mess with this one again today. I’ve had it almost a year now. I’m hoping the new one fixes the problem. This things been driving me nuts since 2pm EST!

Sorry, yeah there is no solution. It’s bricked. Don’t waste your time. It’s a bug in the firmware or something. Call their support, tell them everything you did to troubleshoot and ask them to RMA it.

My replacements arrive tomorrow :slight_smile:

+1 (206) 339-9646

I did a quick test and connected my old router which has the original wifi network name used with my thermostat. Went through the setup process and and tried all the different solutions to troubleshoot. No luck. It just gets stuck at the “Finishing Setup”… and never completes.

I agree it’s definitely bricked! So that’s a major firmware/software bug! You can’t ever change the wifi network or delete these thermostats from the app. These thermostats are just a one and done product.

I have another thermostat to update but will wait for the next firmware release to see if that works.

I hope Wyze can fix this through a firmware update?? @Chuan

Yeah, mine always was the same router with the same network. Moved, so brought the WiFi to the new place as a drop in. Had to reset the thermostats to configure with the new HVAC. All my other wyze devices just came online when plugged in without any configuration.

same exact issue, no solutions working… seems like a major mistake. someone help

I would call or email support and see if you can get a replacement. There’s no fixing whatever issue this is. No matter how many times you reset everything it doesn’t work.

I’m having the same exact issue! My thermostat was working fine until I had to re-add it to the app after switching wireless routers. Now I can’t get past this screen! It’s winter and I can’t even turn on my heat for my family. I’m beyond upset about this!

I’m having the same issue. Wouldn’t connect to Wifi and so I did a factory reset. Now it is getting stuck on the same screen. I tried all the tips and trick you all mentioned to no avail.

I finally got my replacement & it works finally :raised_hands:t2: