The Future of Wyze is Coming Part 1

I think you will find we all share similar thoughts. We wish it had not happened, we are guardedly optimistic that they are taking the necessary steps to prevent a recurrence, including 3rd party auditing. And we believe and hope we will see a wiser Wyze (pun intended) emerge! :nerd_face::wink::grin:

Hi,
Have you taken any precautions to maintain the camera’s recommended temperature? Enclosure? Heater?
I would like to do the same, but am concerned about damaging the cam. Perhaps I shouldn’t be concerned; they are only $25.00…
Thanks

I have a Pan camera that is mounted outside on my deck. It’s been there almost a year now. My Dad has a V2 in Northern Maine that also lives outside. -20 F to 105 F between the two of us. I use a thin silicone case he uses nothing at all. Both cameras are mostly sheltered from rain but otherwise fully exposed.

I’ve been running 2 PTZ and 3 static cameras for almost a year (Jan 9 2019) outside. PTZ’s are under a porch roof but not enclosed at all. The static cams are on the side of the house in varying levels of exposure. One is directly exposed on a wall, the other 2 are up by the eave. They are maybe 6-8" back from the outside of the gutters. Two are plugged into GFCI outlets on the outer wall with the factory wire. All are using the magnet mount and factory mount onto vinyl. I did clean the vinyl very thoroughly. The cube/static cameras have been endured rain, sleet, snow, ice, wind, and wet leaves/debris.

I keep a spare cube and ptz in case of a problem but so far(knock on wood) they’re all working. The only real issue I have is keeping cob webs off the lenses.

The voltage regulators and power supply diodes should give off enough heat to keep everything warm enough for around here. I’m in the mid-atlantic region so we do get some cold snaps in the single digits sometimes.

I guess my point is that these are pretty robust for the cost. I understand them not recommending them to be used outside but I’ve had admirable results. I had a pair of Foscam 720p static mount cameras that failed when there was a lightening strike nearby. The Wyze camera on the same circuit was fine.

1 Like

Hello franko
For spiders control, I have found that keeping a fluffy cloth on the end of a stick long enough to reach and destroy the webs keeps them under control. Best time to check for webs is a night when light reflects off of them. Decoy lights away from the cameras could lure spiders to where light seeking insects attracted. Good luck.
Victor Maletic.

2 Likes

Will the Wyze Cam be returning to Amazon?

Yes, our team is working on this now. :slight_smile:

4 Likes

Do you have some type of protective case on it? Or is it under an eave and protected from the elements? Or did you modify the openings in some way?

Asking for a friend :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes:

Simple Wireless Doorbell (Without a camera attached to it) please that is connected to the Wyze Sense, When someone presses the door bell it will pop up a notification on selected phones that are logged, When I click on the notification it will allow me to speak to the person through the camera. Also if its maintenance and they need to gain entry I can activate the Wyze Door lock. I would love to see this happen. You can make a line of simple white plastic door bell, to Fancy Nickle metal door bells, Make sure they are light up and last a year. or lights up when the camera sense movement to save on power.

1 Like

I have 3 Cams (v2) all of them outside, and all of them are enclosed in a 3rd party housing I got on Amazon made by a company called “Sully (see link below).” Only one is under an eave. They all work great for me. No rain damage issues, no cold weather issues. Once in a while I have to brush away spider webs that pop up.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07TTBTYRQ/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o03_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

I have 1 directly in the elements. No shade, no cover, no protection other than some silicone grease to keep water out of the USB connection. A second relatively exposed. They both get rained and snow and ice and after over a year now they are fine. I even used the stickon mounts to vinyl siding and they are still good.

For $25, I dont care if they go bad. Ill use one of the spares once they do, but so far(knock on wood) so good.

1 Like

FYI, that ain’t “waterproof”. The closest thing I could find to waterproof is:
Amazon.com " Wall Mount Bracket, Weather Proof 360° Protective Plastic Housing Cover Case and Adjustable Mount"
Comes in a pack of three for $15.99 Prime

2 Likes

I don’t see a point in enclosing them. It’s plastic. Unless you submerge them or install them upside down with the bottom exposed, the chances of getting water inside are pretty minimal.

1 Like

More importantly, they’re cheap. But one wouldn’t last on the back of the house here. Between the pool and being in direct line with the prevailing weather, it’s almost worse than putting them under water with the algae and whatnot. Plus being on the east coast means the humidity is already high most times.

Im east coast. Directly in the prevailing weather. I see them covered in ice and snow. 14 months in service next week. No issues yet.
They are just the static cams though. My PTZs are under overhangs. The internal electronics seem to be enough to keep them from freezing the IR filter motor. Sometime soon I am replacing one with a PTZ to see how they fair being utterly abused and will take the static apart to see what it looks like inside after a year. I expect plenty of dead stinkbugs.

3 Likes

I think the dielectric grease is key and a great idea. Also your right for the price point if it last more than a year it will be better value than most other devices that are more prohibitively expensive. I just dont want to worry about getting on a ladder to swap it out lol

2 Likes

I had 2 Foscam outdoor bullet cams that both failed after a thunderstorm. All my Wyze cams chugged right along and one was on the same electrical circuit as the Foscams.

Now mine are at easy to manage heights. I can lean out the window and adjust them. If they were ladder only, then I’d probably not take such a lazy attitude to their protection.

1 Like

Gary,
Create a group, add cameras to group, name group and finish.

Close Wyze app, reopen Wyze app and all cameras will be able to be watched at once. LIVE.

3 Likes

Hello @Emperor3 @BlamBlaster @franko @mathelm64

Too many holes in the V2 for me to risk placing it outside without some protection. At my age, 78, ladders are a hazard.

The front of the camera has two, the mike and light-sensing hole.

The back has three, the two USB receptacles and the speaker (lots of small holes).

The bottom has the contact line between the base and the camera body which could wick up water under certain conditions where it may have access to the memory card hole and the reset tab. There are also many small holes in a circle around the swivel connection.

I try to keep my cameras under overhangs and also somewhat protect the back.

Victor Maletic

4 Likes

I want to use the sensors on my house doors and if someone tried to enter my house while I’m asleep, then I want a loud notification to wake me up. I would like the notification to tell me which door was opened rather than having to guess. While setting up the sensors, I discovered that there were not any individual audible notifications on my iOS device and discovered LightFlow for Android. So I installed LightFlow on my old Google Nexus 7, but it didn’t work correctly for some reason. Sometimes LightFlow didn’t acknowledge a sensor opening, play the assigned notification and there were a lot of setting choices to be made in: the device, Wyze and LightFlow. I tried just about everything before deciding to look elsewhere or accept that I can only have one notification sound for all sensors.

WyzeGuys, if you are listening, please add the ability to use individual audible notifications.

1 Like