Temperature / humidity chip in Sense sensors

Think of the possibities. If the temp sensor could be placed in a refrigerator or freezer, remote rooms, out structures,garages, water temperature, inside your vehicle while in the driveway, a pets hut, HVAC duct. But the temp sensor would have to be separated from the electronics by a short wire so it could be placed inside of a refrigerator, air duct, or submerged.

3 Likes

the texas instruments CC1310 controller inside the Wyze sense already contains a built in temperature sensor according to its data sheet

1 Like

From that FCC documentation, it looks like the chip you’re talking about it built into the BRIDGE, not the sensors. That probably isn’t very useful, unfortunately, because the back of the camera is always warm from the electronics. If it were in the contact sensors or PIR detector, that might be useful and allow them to serve a dual purpose. But I don’t think that’s the case.

2 Likes

this pic shows a CC1310 beside the reed switch. i know this doesnt mean the temperature can be read with existing firmware, but future Wyze sensors might be able to read this

https://fccid.io/doc/FCCID_4078947/_assets/19110f56a88a3a340402591744d45e6f4de37106a598c7a84de8fc6c5c4fda55.jpeg

1 Like

I don’t know about circuitry, but what I’m saying is that the chip is on the BRIDGE, right? It’s not on one of the sensors. The problem with that is that the back of the camera is always hot. Feel it with your hand. It’s probably 120 degrees or so. That means the temperature sensor inside the bridge is ALSO going to read 120 degrees or so.

It might be useful, if they want to put internal governor on the camera or bridge, so that it shuts off before it overheats. But it’s not going to be very useful to tell you the ambient temperature of the room.

Firmware update or not, it’s just not going to give you very useful information, except as it relates to the health of your camera maybe.

EDIT: As I said, I’m not familiar with circuitry. But I Googled “reed switch” – I guess that’s on the contact sensor? If so, perhaps it would be possible with a firmware update.

1 Like

the reed switch is the set of contacts enclosed in glass at the bottom of the photo. Magnetic field operates this switch in the contact sensor.
Right above this is the Texas Instruments CC1310 chip , the F128 designates Wyze went for the 128Kb version , which is the top end.

link to TI manual

1 Like

Gotcha. That seems promising that maybe it would be possible through a firmware update, although it’s still hard to say for sure. For example, I don’t know whether it would require constant current from the battery to monitor and send a signal based on the temperature. If it would, that’s probably a deal-breaker since it would drain the battery too quickly. But if not, it would be super cool. Maybe they could build it in.

1 Like

I have SmartThings by Samsung and they do a Temp/Open Close sensor which is great for rules.
We would use it to monitor certain pet enclosures temperatures and have the heat light or fan turn on the Wyze Plug at a certain temperature.

It would also be very useful for your upcoming Wyze Thermostat, so if these inexpensive temp sensors were in each room you can set your smart Thermostat to specify what room is more critical to reach the temperature required around the house.

2 Likes

They’ve more-or-less confirmed that this will be part of the Wyze thermostat. (At least temperature sensors.)

They haven’t specifically said they’re adding sensors, but they said it will support multiple rooms, which pretty much implies/necessitates a system with temperature sensors.

I’d imagine (well, I’d at least hope) that the sensors could also be used separate from the thermostat. It seems in their interest to design it that way, since people may want to trigger Wyze Plugs based on ambient temperature, etc.

2 Likes

+1 vote for the temperature and possibly humility sensor. DHT22 sensors are cheap and I’m sure can be incorporated even with something like ESP32 dev boards, but nothing can make it a clean design and easy to implement without some kind of home automation software. I hope Wyze comes up with something as I would get several in a heartbeat. These will allow to control fans, ac, heaters, etc. A good implementation is really missing in the market right now.

2 Likes

This would be huge for anyone with a freezer I.e. everyone in America. I would Pre-order three at least.

1 Like

Not entirely sure I want one :slight_smile:

1 Like

A simple sensor that could be plugged into the wall that would send temperature and humidity data to the app. Notifications for high/low temp or humidity would be a useful feature.

1 Like

An AC powered sensor might end up costing more than a battery powered one, and and would also substantially limit where it could be placed. Battery powered temperature/humidity sensors can operate for a very long time. I have one in my storage building that has been running on the same pair of batteries for over 2 years at this point.

3 Likes

Good point, a battery powered one would be fine too, it could easily added to the sense line of products.

1 Like

A sensor which could alert you when a set temperature is exceeded. This would be useful for detecting a possibility of frozen pipes, a location which is too hot or many other things.

If it could also detect humidity that would be awesome.

4 Likes

I scanned the thread and may have missed this idea but a temperature sensor could turn on a light if it got too cold in the house. Good for snowbirds who have someone watching their house. Light goes on and that tells someone, across the street, the furnace has issues. It’s an easy way for a neighbor to watch a house without having to enter the house. If below 50°F then turn smart plug on that lamp in window is plugged into. Also turn plug on for 30 minutes each evening to prove the bulb/power/lamp didn’t die. IFTTT could deal with setting that up. These sensors could tie into a smart thermostat or other devices too. While turning on the smart plug it also could text someone. AC or battery powered. In the house petted would be fine. For outside battery might be better. If waterproof is drop one in the pool just so u could ask “hey Google, what’s the pool temperature?” Or put one outside to ask what the outside temperature is.

3 Likes

I have well over 250 smart devices spanning 2 business sites, 3 rental properties and my home. SmartThings is my Hub of choice, and I would gladly replace well over 150 motion and contact sensors with Wyze Sense devices if they had temperature & humidity sensors built in - ESPECIALLY if they had direct SmartThings compatibility!!

2 Likes

Small sensor that can read and record temperature and humidity and track on a per hour/day/week/month/yearly basis with charts and or graphs.

2 Likes

Yes!! I’m using one of my cams in the babies room and would love to be able to check the temp via the camera!

3 Likes