Targeted Testing: Wyze background microphone usage

Hey, everyone!

Thank you so much for being part our beta testing community. We’re investigating reports of the Wyze app using background microphone permission and would like your help to track down the cause of this behavior.

What we’re looking for:

If you have seen a notification that the Wyze app has used microphone permission in the background, please take a screenshot of that notification and send us both an app log and that image. Samsung phones using at least Android 8.0 (which have given us all of the reports so far) can check this via this path: Settings > Biometrics and security > Permission usage monitor (tap on it, don’t toggle it) > three vertical dot icon (top right) > Permission history.

How you can help:

Please send your app logs, include your phone’s operating system version, device model number (e.g. Samsung S10), and a screenshot of the background permission usage. If you notice this behavior occurs after a specific action, please note this in the description field when submitting your information.

Thank you again for your help with this and please let us know if you have any questions!

EDIT:

We’ve identified the cause behind the mic permission issue. It happens when users open two-way audio in the camera’s Live Stream and then press the home button to exit the Wyze app.

When this happens, it can cause an error in AcousticEchoCanceler, resulting in the mic not closing in Wyze app.

We are testing the fix internally now and it will be included in the next beta release. :slightly_smiling_face:

Thank you to everyone that helped us figure out this bug!

6 Likes

When I send a “Report an issue” this info is included.
Also on my Samsung J3 (2017) I don’t think I’ve got a “Biometrics”.

What Android version are you on? I see it in Android 9 but not Android 7.

Android 7.

@NumberOne - I just posted about this with screenshots. Unfortunately, since we were told it was fixed back in July I didn’t send in a log file. And it hasn’t happened since. Regardless, I will keep an eye on it. In the meantime, sans log file, here’s the rest of the data:

Samsung Note 9
N960USQ2CSI3 Android 9
Screenshot is in the linked post.

Thanks very much @None. This one is tricky and we’re hoping to grab more information. Thank you for the link and information!

Thanks for the heads up, @gemniii. It looks like the Permission Usage Monitor was added in Android 8. I’ll edit the post right now.

We’ve identified the cause behind the mic permission issue. It happens when users open two-way audio in the camera’s Live Stream and then press the home button to exit the Wyze app.

When this happens, it can cause an error in AcousticEchoCanceler, resulting in the mic not closing in Wyze app.

We are testing the fix internally now and it will be included in the next beta release. :slightly_smiling_face:

Thank you to everyone that helped us figure out this bug!

5 Likes

My tests indicate app 2.6.40 fixed the background microphone issue. Yea!

1 Like