T-Mobile Home Internet

How are you able to turn on/off 5G? There isn’t any setting for that in the interface for the gateway that I can find. Mine doesn’t have 5G simply because it isn’t available in my area. Are you talking about the 5G SSID?

http://192.168.12.1/

Gives your more options then the app

So you are saying log on to the device directly (people will only be able to use your link if their T-Mobile Home Internet is also on that same local address).

1 Like

Still doesn’t seem to give access to disable 5G telecom…only the 5G wifi access.

@WildBill, I am sure you meant to say 5 GHz WiFi, for those that are auditing your work here. ?? :slight_smile:

Yes, that’s correct. I got lazy…

1 Like

The constellation density needs to be more robust to handle the numbers of users and mitigate the angles the dish array needs to sustain high bandwidth. If the FAA and other regulators would get their act together it would make an excellent alternative. Current (beta) costs are not necessarily indicative of what it will ultimately look like. Cell phones used to cost $1.25 a minute and have roaming up charges when you left the home carrier area. Wasn’t that long ago.

Well I hope you’re right. Cell phones had a viable competitive marketplace almost from the beginning. At the rate his competitors are moving (that is to say, inert) SpaceX is likely to have a monopoly on this for a long time.

I prefer to think of it as a first mover advantage but, sure.

Bezos laughs in our general direction.

I have been running a Tmobile home internet box at my office for about 2 years now. Speeds are pretty good…I average 50 meg to 85 meg up and down. The gen one modem (white brick box) I have only supports LTE. Cost wise it was a no brainer…since its a commercial location all of the other providers wanted to charge me for “business” service ie crappier service tiers at further inflated prices…no thanks.

Reliability from a service level has been excellent…I have multiple cameras a couple IP phones and other devices connected continuously. The modem hardware is so so…I too placed another router behind their box to provide more control and functionality. I also found that taking the lan, wifi and dhcp loads off of the tmobile box improved its connection stability considerably. For whatever reason it will suffer a speed degradation issue once a month or so that requires a reboot. I don’t think its any kind of throttling as it roars right back to life once it reboots. Their interface doesn’t offer any kind of access to schedule it so it has to be done manually when it needs it. Their box even has a battery in it that will run it for several hours if the power drops. I’ve toyed with pulling the battery and scheduling a weekly reboot via smart plug…suspect it would be a pretty bulletproof service if I did that.

I’m pretty sure they have released a newer gateway/modem product that may have resolved those issues (and apparently supports 5g from the comments above). I could probably call them and have one sent out…their customer service has been top notch compared with any other isps I’ve dealt with.

As far as data limits it is billed as unlimited service. I have run over 700 gigs through it on a billing cycle and not heard a peep from them.

I’m still beholden to Xfinity at my home and I’ve through about testing another tmobile setup there on more than one occasion. Pretty much every time I need to talk to them in fact :wink:

JH

5 Likes

Helpful summary - thanks!

I had a very disappointing stint with T-Mobile. Saw they had the 5g home internet at my home and signed up. Had nothing but trouble for quite a while. Poor speeds, really poor support from Philippine support site. Finally got it working well and then T-Mobile killed my connection since I was using an LTE connection on what was a Sprint tower (before the merger) 1/4 mile from my house. Never could get a decent signal from a “T-Mobile” tower. They also informed me when I complained about performance I should never have been offered the service as it isn’t available in my area. That’s when I cancelled and sent back the modem. I was getting 100mb+ downloads on the Sprint tower so I was happy until they killed the connection

1 Like

I I’ve had T-Mobile home internet for about 5 months and it has been rock solid reliable
Speed is variable
I just ran a speed test and I m currently getting 223 down an 17 up.
Contrary to what at least one other person reported, I was able to takey router to my broter e and. Test it out. He has now switched from AT-Y FSL. At&t FSL. He is pretty pleased with it as it is way faster and ls expensive.

I give up on this post. I find it impossible to edit. As I can not view what I’ve typed unless I minozr the keyboard. Sorry.

1 Like

I understood what you intended to type, and I appreciate you sharing your experience. That is all great to hear. I love that we are finally having several internet options to choose from, and this one sounds pretty awesome compared to the Cable I used to be stuck with!

Use a Netgear or Asus Router with your hub and it should work well. Just find the best location for the Hub.

Long story, I had T-Mobile but it has gone away for now. When I had it there was much made of the fact that the modem from them was over heating since it relied on the “chimney effect” of heat flow for cooling. Many recommended turning off the wifi in the router and using another device such as your home router as an AP instead.

I’ve been using T mobile for a few months. Suggestions (1) unplug the T mobile router and walk around using the installed battery to find the best signal. ( 2) Disable the T mobile’s router wireless using the website tool. ( 3) Run the signal via ethernet cable to a mash WIFI system or fast WIFI router,
You will see faster speeds and a more stable WIFI signal. If you use a external WIFI router and the T mobile router is broadcasting a Wi-Fi signal your devices sometimes has a hard time choosing the correct WIFI signal to hook to and it results to dropped service. One WIFI signal works faster and is very stable

I did all the things you have suggested, but my problem was with T-Mobile. I was able to finally get it working fairly well but had an issue when the modem/router rebooted. It would connect to a different cell tower and performance was garbage. When it worked, I was connected to a cell tower that was Sprint’s before the merger with T-Mobile. In trying to troubleshoot my issue T-Mobile noticed the connection and blocked it saying I should never have connected to that tower in the first place. Then they said their mobile networking isn’t available in my area so I dropped it. Still waiting for it to be available here.

I signed up for it at the end of last year, the new “trash can” style gateway device got here early January and I set it up and it was working okay, a little better than my cable modem internet was, and half the monthly price the cable internet was about to be raised to (hence, my reason for signing up with T-mobile).

I’m only getting around 80 down, which was about all I was getting even with my 3.1 DOCSIS modem and 200Mbps cable internet service (which I found out, as I unplugged it to return to them when I canceled the service, must have been due to my wifi router, because when I plugged the modem directly into my desktop computer, it finally achieved the 200Mbps speeds I never saw when it was coming from the router) so I’m okay with it. The only problem was after about a week or two of acceptable service, the wifi would show “no internet” and require me to restart the gateway device. Then after I had to do that the next time it came up, the internet would come back, but the speeds were ridiculous (as you can see in the SpeedTest screenshot from early February).

Calls to customer support had them (and me) restart everything on both ends, and finally they said I was on a bad tower and they would lock me in to the right one, then speeds went up, but the next day they were down to single digits again. Some searching in the T-Mobile forums led me to order some computer fans to place above and below the gateway device to keep it cool. I did that, and I have had no more outages or speed degradation problems (the run time is showing 31 days now), so I think the cooling of the previously overheating device may have done the trick (or else the “tower in your area is under repair/upgrade” which was the excuse given to me last time I called support about it, finally happened. Either way, it’s nice to have internet that will work even in power outages, if I can supply power (my cable internet was out if the grid was out, no matter what I could power on) and it’s also nice not to have to call the provider every year and beg them to let me have the “discounted rate” for yet another year, with no way to do anything about it if they said “no.”

2 Likes